Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having issues with my Navigation system recently. It is a 2014 P85. It has had the memory recall performed. It is out of standard warranty, so I would like to avoid a costly service visit.

There are 2 primary issues:

1. The Navigation gets stuck in "Navigation system is initializing" when trying to calculate a route. Rebooting the screen resolves this issue for a day or two.
2. When the route actually works, the Navigation voice is delayed. The audio will not announce before the next turn. Sometimes, it will spit out several directions at the same time to "catch up".

There is occasionally an issue where it syas "navigation data update required, please connect to Wi-FI". This will sometimes go away on its own. Other times, it will go away after a reboot.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Well MCU1 is a piece of trash 🤷‍♂️
But you can try a factory reset, if the reset doesn't actually reset everything. Like after you reset it and your garage door or your name for the seat settings is still in place you likely have a *sugar* mainboard and the best fix for that is just eh MCU2 upgrade. That's what i had to do with my 2014 P85D, i got the eMMC fixed but it was still being weird and randomly shitty, it was the mainboard ****ing up and it had to be replaced so i just did the upgrade.

Reactions: boston-mx-75d
Upvote 0
I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 S85 that also had the memory recall performed. I believe this is some kind of bug in the latest software release. If I reset the computer (by holding down the two buttons on the steering well), the nav starts working again. However, once the car goes back to sleep, the nav gets stuck again after the car wakes up. I’m assuming this will get fixed in the next release.

But in the meantime, we should submit bug reports to Tesla so they fix it. Anyone know how to do such a thing? They probably aren’t prioritizing or paying much attention to older cars so the more of us who submit reports, the more likely they are to fix it.

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue too, also on 2020.48.6 only my "connect to WiFi to download nav data" is now permanent after a week or two of being fixed by a reboot. I'm booked in anyway for mcu2 next week as screen is bubbled, only have 3g etc. So not that big a deal but quite annoying

Upvote 0
I chose the same strategy, but Tesla confirmed that both the eMMC and the SD for the navigation must be changed.
Well if the eMMC needs replacing then yes, might as well replace the nav’s SD Card as well. If you’re still on 3G, so the LTE retrofit as well to save even more money since they should just charge you for parts due to MCU already being taken apart.
As for the Nav issues themselves, too many disparate threads on this, but mine ended up being fixed with the SC wiping the maps and forcing a fresh download. My eMMC was already replaced last year.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/“navigation-update-required”-nav-won’t-work.235786/page-2#post-5907780

Upvote 0
I have the problem here and there too.. 'navigation system initializing' .. If I opt for MCU2 upgrade, will I still have the problem due to SD ? Shall I just do SD ? suggestions ?
If you use the Nav a lot, try simple things first like deleting past destinations. My issue was resolved after asking the SC to push a map update. Not sure if they’ll do that for you these days, but worth a try.

Reactions: boston-mx-75d
Upvote 0