Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Keeps "Calculating Route" Repeatedly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 75 with Enhanced Autopilot, MCU replaced as part of recall ~12 months ago.

Just in the past week I have been having an issue with navigation. It will calculate my route and display it on both the center screen and the left side of the dash display with the blue route line. Then, after 30-60 seconds, the blue route on the driver's display goes away and the center display says "Calculating Route" again. It just keeps repeating this roughly every 30-60 seconds the whole time the nav is in use.

I have reset by holding down both menu wheels on the steering wheel and it is still happening.

Anyone ever have this issue or have any suggestions for fixing it?

I strongly believe this is a 2020.48.37.6 issue akin to the disappearing/magically reappearing XM button. There have been a couple threads recently where the Nav either shows “Initializing” or “Navigation Update Required”. Reboots do bring it back, but I’ve discovered only for the day. After the car sleeps overnight, I’ll get one of the two msgs again. When it does work, the software lags behind when approaching the next intersection/command. I thought it was the GPS being off, but it’s dead on. It’s the software the lags so after the turn if executed, it’ll say “In 500ft turn right” and instantly also say “Now turn right”.
So for me, it looks like a three reboot sequence will enable it for the day. Reboot once to get past Initializing. Reboot again to get past Update needed. Nav works for the day.
And yes, could def be a failing SD Card for the maps, but like I said in the other thread, too much of a coincidence that many people on 37.6 are experiencing the same thing all of a sudden. I have a ‘14 P85D while others have ‘16 and ‘17 v

Reactions: DerbyDave
I strongly believe this is a 2020.48.37.6 issue akin to the disappearing/magically reappearing XM button. There have been a couple threads recently where the Nav either shows “Initializing” or “Navigation Update Required”. Reboots do bring it back, but I’ve discovered only for the day. After the car sleeps overnight, I’ll get one of the two msgs again. When it does work, the software lags behind when approaching the next intersection/command. I thought it was the GPS being off, but it’s dead on. It’s the software the lags so after the turn if executed, it’ll say “In 500ft turn right” and instantly also say “Now turn right”.
So for me, it looks like a three reboot sequence will enable it for the day. Reboot once to get past Initializing. Reboot again to get past Update needed. Nav works for the day.
And yes, could def be a failing SD Card for the maps, but like I said in the other thread, too much of a coincidence that many people on 37.6 are experiencing the same thing all of a sudden. I have a ‘14 P85D while others have ‘16 and ‘17 v
I have 2020.48.37.6 on my mid 2016 MS90D and have had no issue with navigation over the last 3.5 weeks. I do not reboot the center screen that much maybe twice in the last month?. I won't say I use navigation every time I get in the car, but do probably about 80-90% of the time. Not had a 'recalculating' problem once. I think in the last 3 days I've driven over 600 miles using navigation all the time.

If it's a software issue with 2020.48.37.6, it clearly is not a systemic one that impacts all owners.

I have 2020.48.37.6 on my mid 2016 MS90D and have had no issue with navigation over the last 3.5 weeks. I do not reboot the center screen that much maybe twice in the last month?. I won't say I use navigation every time I get in the car, but do probably about 80-90% of the time. Not had a 'recalculating' problem once. I think in the last 3 days I've driven over 600 miles using navigation all the time.

If it's a software issue with 2020.48.37.6, it clearly is not a systemic one that impacts all owners.
Agree that it’s not systemic. Same with XM. Many reports, but not everyone said their XM icon disappeared. I rarely use Nav and wouldn’t have known until my son told me it wasn’t working. If it was a bad SD card, it should get progressively worse. So far, at least for me, it’s a rotating list of errors followed by one day of function. Worse comes to worse I’ll replace it when I pay for the LTE upgrade now that they’ve lowered the price in anticipation of the Feb’22 cutoff from AT&T.

Mine fell into a “Calculating route” loop last month. I was trying to navigate from Brooklyn back to DC; turns out I’d switched on “avoid tolls” on the previous leg, to force the car to take the bridge instead of the tunnel. Once I turned off “avoid tolls”, it was fine.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Mine fell into a “Calculating route” loop last month. I was trying to navigate from Brooklyn back to DC; turns out I’d switched on “avoid tolls” on the previous leg, to force the car to take the bridge instead of the tunnel. Once I turned off “avoid tolls”, it was fine.
Hmmm... No tolls around me but I will take a look to see if that or another setting was turned on accidentally.

check the time setting too, if you have it set to save 1 min it will constantly reroute you. I have mine set to 5 min and it rarely reroutes mid-drive except when there is some nasty traffic and its great. one time for the lol's I set it to 1 min and took a drive down the hill to the LA basin and sure as *sugar* it was recalculating every couple min because if the insane traffic down there.

Reactions: tm3lrawd and JimmyB