Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation map update - 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reports of a new navigation map update 2020.12-11866 hitting US shores. No sign of EU version yet though.

When this arrives, this will be my second in 6 months (currently on EU-2019.20-10482) - they don't come with much fan fare but are big old downloads.

Hopefully it will contain a few useful tweaks and fixes to inaccuracies that may be more than just GPS drift.

Reactions: drewpost
Does it come as a separate download?

Yes. iirc ours just tagged itself on to follow another update but I think that was just coincidental as we went through a brief spell of an update every few days so you only had to turn your back and something else was being offered. Also, since that update, the way that updates were served has changed (iirc in 2020.36.x), so its not clear if it will appear as an update in the way that updates show now, or something a bit more low key like entertainment updates which seem to tag themselves on to the end of the firmware update.

My only nav update occurred back on 19 Nov 2019 (back when we had occasion to drive places) :-/ I actually saw someone mention on the forum that it was pushing out so, like any person with the desire to be on the bleeding edge of software, I went to the car, went to settings:software and it popped up there. I don't recall seeing it anywhere else in the UI indicating that an update was pending. I was on car firmware 2019.36.1.2 at the time the nav update came through. I trigged it and it downloaded and it installed like an update. Took a while, though, as it was a hefty file (as has been mentioned here).

IMG_2718.png

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
I’m currently trying to get my address added to Google, it doesn’t exist on the road I live on, so I can’t add my home address and therefore use Sentry.

When Google does get around to adding it, would I have to wait for one of these updates for it to be recognised?

Reports of a new navigation map update 2020.12-11866 hitting US shores. No sign of EU version yet though.

When this arrives, this will be my second in 6 months (currently on EU-2019.20-10482) - they don't come with much fan fare but are big old downloads.

Hopefully it will contain a few useful tweaks and fixes to inaccuracies that may be more than just GPS drift.
2019.20-10482 is badly out of date. About 2 years out of date, I would estimate. We need up to date maps.

Reactions: drewpost
2019.20-10482 is badly out of date. About 2 years out of date, I would estimate. We need up to date maps.

I think even more than 2 years out of date in my area. I have several 30mph limits and a 50mph limit that the car thinks are all 60mph. Not good. Of course this is me linking the maps update to the speed limit information but for all I know that may be a separate "layer" on top of the main maps download.

I don't think it works like the app on the phone. I believe the red/orange lines are where the Tesla database has seen previous congestion from other Teslas on those roads. A bit of a daft way to do it. Happy to be corrected on this people.
I find map congestion is useless. Regularly shows congestion when I can whizz through at 60 and no congestion when I’m at a standstill. Also shows congestion on roads that just don’t ever get congestion, maybe 20 seconds queueing to the roundabout. Not sure that’s worthy of a red line.

Reactions: exlatccatsa