TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigation map update - 2020

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Mar 25, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Reports of a new navigation map update 2020.12-11866 hitting US shores. No sign of EU version yet though.

When this arrives, this will be my second in 6 months (currently on EU-2019.20-10482) - they don't come with much fan fare but are big old downloads.

Hopefully it will contain a few useful tweaks and fixes to inaccuracies that may be more than just GPS drift.

• Like x 1
  2. DaddyCool

DaddyCool Member

I find the traffic congestion data slower than apps on my phone to update.

3. Lx2m3

Lx2m3 Member

I’ve never had a map update as far as I know. Does it come as a separate download?

4. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Yes. iirc ours just tagged itself on to follow another update but I think that was just coincidental as we went through a brief spell of an update every few days so you only had to turn your back and something else was being offered. Also, since that update, the way that updates were served has changed (iirc in 2020.36.x), so its not clear if it will appear as an update in the way that updates show now, or something a bit more low key like entertainment updates which seem to tag themselves on to the end of the firmware update.

5. drewpost

drewpost Member

My only nav update occurred back on 19 Nov 2019 (back when we had occasion to drive places) :-/ I actually saw someone mention on the forum that it was pushing out so, like any person with the desire to be on the bleeding edge of software, I went to the car, went to settings:software and it popped up there. I don't recall seeing it anywhere else in the UI indicating that an update was pending. I was on car firmware 2019.36.1.2 at the time the nav update came through. I trigged it and it downloaded and it installed like an update. Took a while, though, as it was a hefty file (as has been mentioned here).

IMG_2718.png

• Informative x 1
  6. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

who can give me link to download it ?

7. Durzel

Durzel Active Member

I’m currently trying to get my address added to Google, it doesn’t exist on the road I live on, so I can’t add my home address and therefore use Sentry.

When Google does get around to adding it, would I have to wait for one of these updates for it to be recognised?

8. Andrew_SE23

Andrew_SE23 Member

No-one. Your car needs to download it direct over WiFi

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  9. M3noob

M3noob Supporting Member

2020.20.12 finally this morning.

10. Rob R

Rob R Member

Are the Google base maps significantly more up to date? My local Starbucks drive-through does not exist on 2019.20-10482, so I cannot navigate to it. Very annoying.

11. Rob R

Rob R Member

2019.20-10482 is badly out of date. About 2 years out of date, I would estimate. We need up to date maps.

• Like x 1
  12. Louis0w

Louis0w Member

I wouldn’t expect an update until further FSD functions are rolled out to Europe. Late Q3?

13. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

I think even more than 2 years out of date in my area. I have several 30mph limits and a 50mph limit that the car thinks are all 60mph. Not good. Of course this is me linking the maps update to the speed limit information but for all I know that may be a separate "layer" on top of the main maps download.

14. Durzel

Durzel Active Member

Yeah my local is a 20 and the car thinks it’s a 30. It’s fairly actively policed too.

15. rincewind

rincewind Member

I don't think it works like the app on the phone. I believe the red/orange lines are where the Tesla database has seen previous congestion from other Teslas on those roads. A bit of a daft way to do it. Happy to be corrected on this people.

16. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

Sorry to sound stupid but this is a map update?

17. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

No that's a system update. Navigation or maps updates can sometimes come through at the same time but usually they separately mentioned if you look at the software updates screen.

18. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

I think the map you see, and the satellite images, are live from google maps, not in the downloaded “Navigation Data”

19. LongRanger

LongRanger Active Member

Did you forget where it is ? :D

• Funny x 1
  20. Joelly

Joelly Member

I find map congestion is useless. Regularly shows congestion when I can whizz through at 60 and no congestion when I’m at a standstill. Also shows congestion on roads that just don’t ever get congestion, maybe 20 seconds queueing to the roundabout. Not sure that’s worthy of a red line.

• Like x 1