TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigation Map Updates?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cruisemaster, Aug 16, 2018.

1. cruisemaster

cruisemaster New Member

Since the navigation interface uses Google maps, how often are the maps updated? Is it updated constantly such as using google maps via the web? Or are the map updates only made via firmware updates?

• Funny x 1
  2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I’m pretty sure it’s using the latest and greatest map data google has available. As I understand it no map data is stored locally except for whatever temporary cache is used to store recently downloaded map data.

• Funny x 1
  3. smatthew

smatthew Member

It doesn't use google maps. It uses OpenStreetMaps for the maps and Valhalla for trip routing.

If the map is wrong in your area, you can log onto OpenStreetMaps and fix it. The speed limit near my farm was wrong, so I logged in and fixed it myself.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Runebane

Runebane Member

That's interesting because it's has Google at the bottom right on the navigation map.

• Funny x 2
  5. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

This contradicts everything I’ve ever heard about Tesla’s navigation. Got a source?

• Funny x 1
  6. smatthew

smatthew Member

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Google is the map but not the navigation. The navigation is overlayed on a google map.

8. Mbutler888

Mbutler888 New Member

• Informative x 3
  9. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Member

Ah cool. There was a Nav place where it said to Turn right but it was just the highway splitting. I corrected - lets see if my Nav updates!