Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation - Maps updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're talking about the Google Maps on the 17" screen, then the update had nothing to do with them. The Map Update is for the Navigon maps that are displayed on the instrument cluster. In a different thread it was mentioned that the Map Update is actually dated Dec-2015, so the maps are already out of date.

Does anyone know why the Google maps on Tesla are about 3 years MORE up to date than those on say a laptop? I would have thought they would be the same or the main maps more up to date than the ones Tesla use?

Any ideas please?

The console display uses Google maps - which are pulled from Google's cloud server and are updated quickly after road changes (within days of a road change).

The navigation system and dashboard navigation map use the map database stored inside the car - and is supposed to be updated roughly annually. The general belief is that the map database comes from Navigon/Garmin, though there are some who believe it comes from another source. If the process is similar to the map databases distributed to other vehicles - even when the map database is distributed to cars, due to the time required by the map company to produce the map data, package it and distribute it, the map data could already be months or possibly a year out of date; which is what I've seen in my previous navigation systems from Toyota and Lexus.

I live on a street that was built at least 7 years ago. We moved into a new house, which finished construction 2.5 years ago. We have a late 2012 S P85 and a new S 100D - in both cars, entering our home address places the destination at the wrong point in the neighborhood. By using the incorrect address reported in the smartphone app (when the car is parked at the house), we are able to get the navigation system to point to the correct location on the block - but every route going back to our house adds about 5 minutes to the destination arrival time - because the nav software believes it takes about 5 minutes to go a few feet on our street.

This problem was reported to Tesla multiple times since we moved into the house 2.5 years ago - and is still a problem today.

Clearly this is not going to work as Tesla gets closer to FSD and having the AP software use the navigation routing.

Tesla & Musk have not made any comments about navigation system improvements. Not only do we have the out-of-date navigation maps, we are also missing basic features present in other navigation systems (like waypoints, route customization, real-time traffic notifications, ...).

Rather than trying to fix the on-board software and come up with a system to distribute up-to-date maps to the growing number of Tesla cars, I suspect Tesla may shift navigation routing to a cloud server. If the car is connected to the Internet, the route will be calculated on Tesla's server, using up-to-date map data. And when the car is not connected, the onboard (and out of date map database) will be used to provide routing, at least until a connection can be made to the cloud server for a better route.

I have just done 150 miles today using Tesla satnav and at one point it tried to make me do 6 miles in a square to achieve about half a mile down the road!! IT really is useless. I do not understand why Tesla do not use TomTom which is really good and has everything a good satnav should have!

What is the point in have a 17" satnav if it doesnt work...like women say "it isnt size that matters its whether it works!!"

EAP is supposed to provide on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, including the ability for EAP to automatically change lanes to pass slower vehicles, and exit at the proper off ramp.

Of course, this assumes the navigation routing makes sense - and the navigation system really knows where the exit ramp is located. Since the maps seem to be out of date 1-3 years in some areas, some of the exit ramps could move in that time - and EAP won't be able to find the off ramp - if it's now at a different location.

Which leads to the conclusion that using a navigation database in the car will never work - and why routing will probably have to shift to the cloud to get EAP/FSD to work properly and safely...

I've done about 45K road trip miles using the maps, and once or twice it gave me a bad route. Also a couple of times it routed me around some really bad traffic traffic tie-ups. So I can't honestly say that I am unhappy with the maps.

Good chance for Tesla to make their own maps, with plenty of cars traveling all over the globe. Map learning! Especially for autonomous cars deciding which lane at an interchange will get them to their destination. That's not always as clear as it could be.

I have the same strange problem where it's telling me to follow three sides of a square instead of taking the straight path. But I've also traveled cross country without any thing weirder than a couple of oddball bypasses of freeway sections that did not have heavy traffic and were easy to ignore.

MIne tried to turn me left into a layby yesterday and then back onto the road 200m later. In the past it has taken me off a motorway junction across the roundabout and straight back onto the motorway again - it really is a terrible sat nav system and lets then car down badly. Potty!!

As the map display is from Google Maps, why do they not just use Google Maps routing?
Whenever I use the Google Maps app on my phone, it is excellent and always has the best route and changes automatically if it finds a faster one whilst en route.

The nav this morning wanted me to turn right off the main street, drive 0.7 miles, make a U-turn, drive back to the main street, turn right and continue on. Kind of like it thought the middle of the intersection was blocked. It could easily be erroneous traffic data causing my problems.

No real problem for an autonomous car, it just has to travel a little farther. It'll still get to its destination.

I've done about 45K road trip miles using the maps, and once or twice it gave me a bad route. Also a couple of times it routed me around some really bad traffic traffic tie-ups. So I can't honestly say that I am unhappy with the maps.

My experience is similar Jerry33. On a recent trip from CT to NC, GA and FL and back, the navigation system worked perfectly. Mostly major interstate driving. When the trip was done, we both remarked that one of the best features that the Model S has was the navigation system and its performance. We actually did not expect that.

There were a few audio queues that said "Right" when it should have said left... In one of those cases, we later found out that the exit was recently changed from one side of the highway to the other.

If you're talking about the Google Maps on the 17" screen, then the update had nothing to do with them. The Map Update is for the Navigon maps that are displayed on the instrument cluster. In a different thread it was mentioned that the Map Update is actually dated Dec-2015, so the maps are already out of date.
Wait... I thought it was live google map... is it not?