Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation newb question re:supercharging stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s when you tap the display charging icon on the map. It displays the nearest supercharger location to you with a red icon, and the text box gives the name of the supercharger and distance in miles. Tap either and the car navigates you to it. You don’t need to scroll around— the map automatically changes the zoom level to display at least one supercharger.

But most of us look before a trip to see what superchargers are en route to where we’re going. It’s not like there are so many of them yet.

See I think you completely misunderstand what I am asking. The point is I don't necessarily know where I want to stop. If my wife says she needs to use the restroom within the next 30 minutes, I need to know whether there is a Supercharger coming up in the next 30 minutes. I may or may not know that it's Hickory or some other out of state Supercharger that I may or may not be familiar with. If there's not a Supercharger on the route, I'll just stop wherever. But if there is one coming up that I may or may not be familiar with, I want that information. I don't necessarily want to click on the map and scroll around the map looking for what might be ahead of me (but maybe is behind).
Adding energy on a Tesla road trip is different than ICE. Hydrocarbon-powered? Exit signs announce fuel stations, generally show which way to turn at the bottom of the ramp. I've yet to see ANY highway sign showing EV charging. Not at the rest areas I know have SuperChargers, not at any exits.

The burden rests entirely on the BEV traveler. Before a journey, I locate SuperChargers along the route. Rough out route, charging scheme and schedule on ABetterRoutePlanner or Tesla's site. Game-plan a bit with different schemes - if I'm willing to arrive with only 5% charge, what would the trip look like?

Which SuperChargers have amenities my wife would prefer? For example, our S100D needs an en-route charge if we drive from our house outside Philadelphia to Corolla, NC (Outer Banks). Salisbury, Maryland would be a longer stop with a Starbucks nearby. Norfolk Virginia offers many more options, but few of them appeal to my wife.

I also ensure we can charge the car at our destination. Destination charging? Dryer plug? 120-Volt, 15-Amp extension cord? I also scout out nearby options on PlugShare.

During the trip, zoom-out shows SuperChargers that might be on or near the route.

As you become more familiar with the car's range and information sources, it's easier to improvise. Last month we visited my wife's cousin in Connecticut. Preparation showed several SuperChargers along I-84, so I was pleased when navigation chose that route. When we needed a rest break, my wife found the Danbury, CT SuperCharger. We walked across the parking lot to the mall. Discovered a carousel in the food court. That would have been a hit with young children or grandchildren. While we could have reached the cousin's without recharging, the extra juice meant we didn't have to worry.

As you become more familiar with the car's range and information sources, it's easier to improvise.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with planning out trips in advance, and can find my way around Plugshare, ABetterRoutePlanner, etc, having planned at least shorter distance trips fro the past 6 years. I have no doubt I could those tools effectively to plan ahead, but it's the impromptu, opportunity stops that would be nice to have some additional support, as using those tools while driving is not great, and my wife (as the passenger) gets flustered pretty easily trying to "look ahead". But that's fine. If that's the workflow, then that's the workflow. It seems to me like the car could provide some additional support pretty easily, but the sense I am getting is that there is nothing I am missing in the UI that would help, and people are happy with the status quo.

I agree that it would be nice to show optional superchargers along the way that you don't really need. That being said, screen real estate is at a premium.

Sorry, got a bit of a chuckle out of that! :)

I guess all I was thinking was that on the right side of the screen where it puts the next couple turns and the next charging stop/final destination with estimated battery, that it would put the next Supercharger along the route (and estimated arrival time/arrival SOC) and allow me to click on that entry to have a pop-up come up with # of stalls in use. Probably only another 1.5" of vertical space on the right side that's already being used by the turn by turn directions anyway.

Sorry, got a bit of a chuckle out of that! :)

I guess all I was thinking was that on the right side of the screen where it puts the next couple turns and the next charging stop/final destination with estimated battery, that it would put the next Supercharger along the route (and estimated arrival time/arrival SOC) and allow me to click on that entry to have a pop-up come up with # of stalls in use. Probably only another 1.5" of vertical space on the right side that's already being used by the turn by turn directions anyway.
Putting a different (optional) supercharger stop than the one the navigation is using in the turn by turn directions would be too confusing. Maybe not to you, but I think for most people. Either it’s turn by turn or it isn’t. That’s not where to put options.

I personally would be happy if it just wouldn't hide other superchargers on the map when you are navigating from A to B. At least make them still clickable with the ability to add as a way point. As is you have to cancel your navigation to see them and then reroute.

Reactions: RTPEV
Yeah, I'm quite familiar with planning out trips in advance, and can find my way around Plugshare, ABetterRoutePlanner, etc, having planned at least shorter distance trips fro the past 6 years. I have no doubt I could those tools effectively to plan ahead, but it's the impromptu, opportunity stops that would be nice to have some additional support, as using those tools while driving is not great, and my wife (as the passenger) gets flustered pretty easily trying to "look ahead".
Makes me feel fortunate on several counts. My wife prefers navigating to driving, I enjoy driving. My wife has more exacting tastes and preferences, researches to a fare-thee-well to find optimal stops.

Way back when iPads were young she insisted we get one while AT&T Unlimited Data plans were still available. We're on the third iPad using that plan. She consults Google maps and a handful of foodie sites. I've learned to prompt her to start restaurant research at least an hour before we expect to stop. This gives us a shortlist while the establishments are still open.

I have broader tastes and lower standards, can handle spontaneous stops on solo journeys. Some examples from my Memorial Day New England loop.

A. Groton, CT to the friend who lives near Mt. Washington, NH and introduced me to Tesla. Started with 100%, thanks to a NEMA 14-30 plug chargers at the company site where I had worked for two days. My friend had recommended Hooksett, NH chargers. Identified Lincoln, NH as an alternative while planning the route. Car's burn rate was so low it soon became apparent I could make the full journey without recharge. As I approached Hooksett, I needed a break. Pulled into the rest area, plugged in the cable. Restroom, chili, cup of coffee to go and about 15% more in the battery. No additional stops.

B. Near Mt. Washington home to Philadelphia. During the visit we tested my CHAdeMO adapter at a charger that had opened at a local campground. Topped up with my friend's power overnight, departed with 100%. Tesla navigation planned two stops. Stopped for lunch with old friends near Brattleboro. Good news, they had a 240 Volt outlet in their garage to power a table saw. Bad news, no adapter for a 6-20 outlet. Tesla navigation suggested stop at Springfield, MA SuperCharger. Low burn rate, saw Hartford SuperCharger on the map, decided to skip Springfield. Pulled into Hartford SuperCharger. Used restroom at nearby Dunkin Donuts, bought a coffee and put it in the car. Went for a walk to stretch my legs and get enough charge that I wouldn't have to stop again. When I returned, more cars had arrived. Found an X from Missouri sharing my SuperCharger, slowing charge rate. Saw a decent restaurant nearby, decided to have an early dinner while the car charged. Turned out several other Tesla's occupants had made similar decisions.

C. Hartford to home. Iced tea from dinner caught up, needed a break soon after I got on the Merritt. Found a rest area with SuperCharger on the map, plugged in to charge while I used the facilities. Came back, talked Tesla with some people using a picnic table near the car. Added 15%. No more stops before arriving at home.

Again, a few trips will build your confidence. Know:
- Your planned route and SuperCharger stops.
- How to identify other SuperChargers along the way. If research looks intense and there's no navigator, I pull off on the shoulder.
- Your car's burn rate for the trip. I cruise at 72 - 75 mph, generally arrive with 5% - 10% more than navigation / energy chart predicted.
- Your risk tolerance. My wife still gets nervous if Tesla navigation shows we'll arrive with less than 20% charge. So we take a rest stop, add some charge and proceed. No point making her uneasy. Our daughter is like me, willing to arrive with 7% - 10%, or less if it means avoiding a SuperCharger stop that might wake her sleeping children.

- How to identify other SuperChargers...

- Your risk tolerance. My wife still gets nervous if Tesla navigation shows we'll arrive with less than 20% charge. So we take a rest stop, add some charge and proceed. No point making her uneasy. Our daughter is like me, willing to arrive with 7% - 10%, or less if it means avoiding a SuperCharger stop that might wake her sleeping children.

Punch in your destination and let the nav do its work. It will identify the Superchargers for you. The only thing I check before departing is what food is available at what Superchargers that are on my route using POIs on PlugShare. After the nav picks my stops I can relax and drive. I can see on the screen what my state of charge will be when I arrive at the next supercharger. If I want the number to go up I slow to 5mph below the speed limit, if I have anything above my chosen buffer I go the speed limit or maybe 5 mph over. No need for a ticket to drive up the cost of traveling. In PA and Eastern OH the highway patrol are relentless.