Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation not calculating route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times I have ask for navigation to my sons school (not because I don't know where it is, but more for the fun of using a new car), and after the car 'thinks' about it, shows no route or instructions (even though you can see it on the map)

Navigation seems to work for other locations, so I am not sure what is happening. Does anyone else have destination issues like this?

Latest software (updated on Sunday) installed in the car

Without the exact specifics of your situation, it would be hard to determine exactly what is going on, but I suspect that you are trying to navigate to the school by name (rather than address) and the database of points-of-interest (POI) that the navigation system is using doesn't include the school (by name), even though the graphical map does (the two systems may or may not share the same POI database). Either that or it doesn't understand what you are saying. Or perhaps the POI that matches the school name is only known by GPS coordinates and there aren't any public streets nearby that it can navigate you to (although in the past I've seen the nav system still try to get you close--the first weekend I had my car it took me miles out of the way down some dirt roads to get to a location that was behind my destination, but across an empty lot--but that was the closest it could get me on public streets that it knew about).

I will say that in my area the POI database seems very complete, but it's not perfect.

Have you tried navigating by street address instead of the school name?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Some things it will auto navigate to, and others you have to select the item from the list it presents to confirm "yep thats the one I want". I am not sure if that is what is happening in your case because I am not seeing your screen.

If you ask (for example) "Navigate to Home Depot" or "navigate to the nearest home depot" or something like that, it will normally present either a list or locations on the map to choose from. You pick one then click the arrow, then navigate there.

If, on the other hand, you read it an address "Navigate to 12345 Everyperson Street, San Diego CA", it will usually just pull up navigation to that location.

Some things it will auto navigate to, and others you have to select the item from the list it presents to confirm "yep thats the one I want". I am not sure if that is what is happening in your case because I am not seeing your screen.

If you ask (for example) "Navigate to Home Depot" or "navigate to the nearest home depot" or something like that, it will normally present either a list or locations on the map to choose from. You pick one then click the arrow, then navigate there.

If, on the other hand, you read it an address "Navigate to 12345 Everyperson Street, San Diego CA", it will usually just pull up navigation to that location.
The location comes up as an option, and then i select it, and then it thinks about it then does nothing

Without the exact specifics of your situation, it would be hard to determine exactly what is going on, but I suspect that you are trying to navigate to the school by name (rather than address) and the database of points-of-interest (POI) that the navigation system is using doesn't include the school (by name), even though the graphical map does (the two systems may or may not share the same POI database). Either that or it doesn't understand what you are saying. Or perhaps the POI that matches the school name is only known by GPS coordinates and there aren't any public streets nearby that it can navigate you to (although in the past I've seen the nav system still try to get you close--the first weekend I had my car it took me miles out of the way down some dirt roads to get to a location that was behind my destination, but across an empty lot--but that was the closest it could get me on public streets that it knew about).

I will say that in my area the POI database seems very complete, but it's not perfect.

Have you tried navigating by street address instead of the school name?
If I search for the road, then all is ok. If it was not a POI, I would have assumed there would have been some error message (the location appears in a list of possible locations, and I have to select the specific one I want)

Maybe related to the public street comment, as the pin on the map is in the middle of the grounds where there is no public road, only private roads. But even then, I would have assumed some kind of error message

If you can find a suitable location for the school that it will navigate to, you can save it as a favorite and name it something like "junior's school" (or whatever his name is). You should then be able to say "navigate to junior's school".

Had the same issue in that routes that had worked would hang on calculating route then sometimes would calculate. Very frustrating when it would not work on a trip recently and had to resort to using my phone. 2022.8.3 but thought I saw it on 2022.8.2. Waiting for a service for it. Definitely not a poi issue as it worked in the past for same places.