TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Navigation offered to navigate me home?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

So I got into my car today and I had a prompt on my screen that offered to navigate me home. I can't
    recall the exact question prompt, but I've never seen this before. What gives? Could I have possibly pressed something on the touch screen?

2. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Late night partying?

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

If you don't have a home saved yet and regularly travel from work to home I found it suggested that after a week with classic and AP 1.0. I experimented with my new X and it didn't do that yet.

4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I do actually have Home saved already. I was leaving work around the same time every day I usually do....

5. CT200h

CT200h Member

Possibly the car is seeing the pattern and suggesting the destination based on the pattern
    One thing I keep reminding people about self driving cars is that you have to take the time to tell the car where you want to go. Pain in the neck on many nav systems these days , infuriating in fact.
    Once the car sees patterns like wayz does it will anticipate where you might be going and it will be easier.

6. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Unfortunately the navigation told me to take my usual route home which was filled with an accident delay. Waze directions had me go a different way and saved me 10 minutes. Now I see what people are talking about as far as how poor the navigation is. Took me a couple of months to find that out.

7. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

HW2 car and one time only it warned me my way to work was going to experience a large delay and offered to navigate an alternate route. Only happened once and when I checked my way was indeed going to be an extra hour.

8. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

My car has figured out that I go play pinball at a certain bar every Thursday -- when I get in on Thursday night, it suggests alternate routes based on traffic without being prompted. I've never told it to navigate to that location, it simply learned my habit. Kinda creepy, but cool!

• Like x 1
  9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes. It will do that if it knows home and work. It assumes the morning wants to go to work and evening wants to go home.

But...I already know where they are!:). Doh!

10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

The answer is:
    Swiping downward on the navigate button starts navigating to home (or work if it's morning).

• Informative x 2
  11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It's so nice at the end of a long shift to just swipe down and head home.

• Funny x 1
  12. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

Yes, the car's navigation system learns from your repeated driving patters, and recommends a route back home, guessing you're headed back. It happens to me regularly. I don't always let it choose the route though. Waze is usually better. If they fixed the nav to use Waze, they'd have a great upgrade for us users!

13. kort677

kort677 Banned

I've never experienced that! then again I have no regular driving patterns. AP1 car

14. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

I was under the impression that the "current traffic situation" was pulled from Google Maps, although, now I cannot find where I heard that...

Regarding the prompts to work/home and rerouting due to traffic conditions, you have to set a threshold on how many minutes you want to save before it reroutes you.

From the user manual:
    "on your usage patterns, Model S may prompt you to save a current location as Home or Work. After you save a Home and a Work location, Model S may prompt you to navigate to your Work location in the mornings and to your Home location in the evenings and tell you how long it will take to navigate in current traffic conditions. To navigate to your Work or Home location, simply press NAV TO WORK or NAV TO HOME when prompted. You can also press Settings and specify an amount of time to be saved (in five minute increments, up to 30 minutes) before Model S reroutes your drive to your Home or Work location."

15. croman

croman Active Member

With a Tesla this is one aspect where the voice command function actually works most of the time. I just say "take me to X" and it usually either starts the nav to X or asks me to choose X from a list of options. Quick, painless, and can be done while I'm pulling out of my garage/driveway.

• Like x 1
  16. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

My car often tries to auto-navigate me home when I get in the car in the afternoon. I usually tell it no, as I use Waze for navigation.

17. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Got my first offer to auto-navigate me to work day. Last week I did put in my work location.

18. larmor

larmor Active Member

I'm sure the car wouldn't do anything to deviate from the mission, Dave....

19. mikerathbun

mikerathbun Supporting Member

It has become self aware. Take it to a SC and have its memory wiped.

• Funny x 1