Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation on auto pilot - didn’t take correct exit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I set navigation on my Model 3 to a address in another city. Once I got on the interstate I opted to use navigation on autopilot. When I noticed that the navigation designated exit was coming up, I turned on my blinker early to direct the car to change lanes to the far left hand lane. It did. As I neared the exit the car signaled that it would be be best to change to the middle lane to the right as it came up behind a slower vehicle in that left hand lane. I didn’t believe that I’d have time to change to the right hand lane, get around that slower vehicle, and then change lanes again before before getting to the exit, so I ignored the car’s lane change request. Sure enough the exit came out quickly. However, the car didn’t take the exit indicated by the navigation and drove right past it. The navigation system noted that I had not taken the designated exit and chose the next exit a mile away as an alternative. I stayed in the left hand lane, but again the caresuggested a lane change to the middle lane as I neared the next exit. Again I ignored it and stayed in the left lane. Again the car did not take the exit, so I manually over rode it turning onto the exit manually. That has never happened befor. It was almost like the car’s autopilot system became disconnected from the navigation system. (The car have the latest software upgrades.)

Which nav system were you using?
FSD Beta
Enhanced Autopilot
or the free basic autopilot?
Basic Autopilot doesn’t include Navigate on Autopilot. NoA is currently identical in EAP, FSD, and FSD Beta, so it makes no difference.

@Cajunblazer, do you have lane change confirmations enabled in NoA settings? If so, NoA will suggest lane changes but won’t make them unless you confirm.

As I understand you were driving in the left lane and the car wanted you to go to the right ( middle lane), but you chose to stay in the left lane. So was the exit to the left side or right side of the road.
The exit was off of the left lane. Then when the car got to that exit, it didn’t take it. Then the navigation system indicated an alternative exit on the left side of the interstate about a mile down the road. The car did the same thing indicating it that I should allow change lanes to the middle lane again when it came up on slower traffic as it neared the alternate exit. I kept the car in the left lane. It again tried to continue down the road instead of taking the exit. At that point overrode it took the exit. By the way. It again tried to failed to take the designated exit today.

Basic Autopilot doesn’t include Navigate on Autopilot. NoA is currently identical in EAP, FSD, and FSD Beta, so it makes no difference.

@Cajunblazer, do you have lane change confirmations enabled in NoA settings? If so, NoA will suggest lane changes but won’t make them unless you confirm.
Not sure which autopilot I am using. I don’t have the aut pilot for city driving yet, though I have paid for it. Mine is an older Model 3 and I need to have the computer changed out (for free) to get that feature, but I have not yet driven to another city to have that done. I have the navigation on auto pilot. I click the lever twice to engage it once I have set my destination. All I can tell you is in the past the car always took the proper exits as directed by the navigation system. I don’t know what changed. I have the latest software and that was not installed lately

Yes, I have lane change confirmation enabled. The car changes lanes after suggesting that action when I click on the blinker lever to confirm. That is working fine. I included that in my narrative to point out that the auto pilot system phone navigate by auto pilot is paying no attention to the navigation system when it recommends a lane change from the left lane to the middle lane when approaching an exit. Another indication of the disconnect between the auto pilot system and the navigation system is the fact that the car did not automatically take the exit indicated by the navigation system. Last night on my way home the navigation system was indicating an upcoming exit from one interstate highways to another and the attempted to drive right by that exit. I I had to override it. I’ve taken that same route home many times and it’s always taking that exit only town, but not last night

As I understand you were driving in the left lane and the car wanted you to go to the right ( middle lane), but you chose to stay in the left lane. So was the exit to the left side or right side of the road.
Sorry , the exit was on the right hand side of the 3 lane Interstate. I was in the right hand lane and the car wanted to change to the middle lane with far too little time to go around the slower traffic and get back into the right hand lane in order to take the exit. Then instead of taking the exit as indicated by the navigation system, the car ignored the exit and proceeded down the interstate. The navigation system indicated the next exit to the right, and the car tried to ignore that exit as well. I manually overrode the car and turned into the exit. Again, It certainly appeared that the Navigate on Auto Pilot system was completely ignoring the directions and turns provided by navigation system.