Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation on autopilot and auto lane change. frequent feature you use for highway driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also on the fence as OP. I do tons of interstate long-distance drivings at the moment so EAP would help tremendously. One question to you all that have EAP or FSD. With NOA off or auto-lane change off, when you signal for a lane change, will the lightly tap on the stalk (which gives you 3 turn signal blinks) work? Or you have to engage the turn signal stalk fully downward or upward?

auto lane change is the only feature I would like from eap/fsd but I don't drive on the highways enough to justify spending 4k on that one feature I'd occasionally use. I'd probably only use the other features once just to try them out.

I'm also hoping that they eventually push auto lane change to ap for free.... :D

I am also on the fence as OP. I do tons of interstate long-distance drivings at the moment so EAP would help tremendously. One question to you all that have EAP or FSD. With NOA off or auto-lane change off, when you signal for a lane change, will the lightly tap on the stalk (which gives you 3 turn signal blinks) work? Or you have to engage the turn signal stalk fully downward or upward?

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned you really need to push it all the way down as sometimes the light tap will disengage before the lane change occurs.

When you use auto lane change with the stalk, does it alert you and then simply activating the turn signal moves the car over? I have used it where I activated the turn signal and then it moves, but not the reverse.
On NOA I have auto lane change set to not require confirmation. It notifies me, then goes. I don’t really use it. I just use the manual turn signal lane change option (non-NOA)

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-21_18-38-7.png
    upload_2020-9-21_18-38-7.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 49

So I was the person that said you really need to push the stalk all the way to initiate the lane change if you're not auto-changing. Now that isn't exactly true... my first time using Autopilot I put into this forum my experience and it was funny- someone replied something like "You should read the manual before you use a feature that has your life in its hands..." -Fair Enough... so I did..

There are fairly detailed instructions about how to use the feature and the stalk in the manual... and I bring this up because it includes things like pushing the stalk will cause the car to accelerate to pass, etc. Here is just one of the notes:

WARNING: If you have purchased an optional Autopilot package and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, engaging a turn signal can cause Model Y to accelerate when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control in specific situations (see Overtake Acceleration on page 86). If Autosteer is active on a vehicle with Auto Lane Change, engaging a turn signal may cause Model Y to change lanes.

Definitely check out page 86 in the manual located here.

So what I'm saying is I recommend looking at the manual... BUT in my experience, if I don't push the blinker all the way- sometimes I change lanes and most of the time when I let go the signal (I guess too early), the car dives back into the lane I was in... and that upsets my passengers... BUT its really easy to just get used to pushing the signal all the way- I mean the car is going to do all the work after that so its no big deal to push the signal all the way vs holding it for 3 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: StarHunter