Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation preferences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> Waypoints (which can be used to correct bad routing)
> Options for routes (two quickest options, plus a shortest option)
> Preferences for toll roads, private roads, ...
> Display of real-time traffic data when navigation enabled (MS occludes the traffic data)
> Re-routing command to select alternate route
> Notification of upcoming traffic restrictions, with option to re-route (both on display and verbally - "stop-and-go traffic in 2 miles" or "left lane closed in 1 mile")
> Favorites list
> Specification of home address (to say "Drive to home")
> Quick nav buttons (like radio stations) to quickly select most frequent destinations
> POV display (show restaurants, movie theaters, ...) and ability to select POV icon for destination
> Traffic avoid blocks - mark roads that you want to avoid (can help to correct frequent bad routing)
> Zoom bar to show map scale values (MS has pinch and zoom out/in buttons, but not indication of distance on the map)
> Option to display businesses near highway exits (such as restaurants or hotels)
> Split screen display (ability to show both close-up and far-away map views, which can help to see nearby streets while also monitoring traffic conditions farther away); the Navigon display on the dashboard is not quite the same, since it can't be manipulated (zoom, scroll, ...)
> Rotating map, "up" pointing towards direction car is heading

Bob nailed all my suggestions. I'd also add:

1. The ability to send a route to the car remotely from a desktop web browser or a mobile phone (which would be a godsend when my wife or kids get lost somewhere)
2. A "lowest-energy" option in routing choices

Two words to summarize what will optimize GPS for Tesla: Waze app.

For anyone unfamiliar with Waze, check it out. Smarter, better GPS.

I would absolutely love to see a third-party Waze app in the car -- as it is, I just mount my iPhone w/ Waze running -- I don't use Tesla's (dated) system at all. --David

Is anyone else having issues with hearing the navigation voice? I have Slacker on Volume 7 and Navigation on 11, and I can barely hear the Navigation give me directions.

Holy cow. For me, nav at anything higher than volume 4 is deafening. I normally have Slacker/radio/bluetooth at 3-6 depending on road speed and whether the kids in the back seat are yelling at each other.

Holy cow. For me, nav at anything higher than volume 4 is deafening. I normally have Slacker/radio/bluetooth at 3-6 depending on road speed and whether the kids in the back seat are yelling at each other.

+1 I'm always startled by how loud the navigation voice is. Can't imagine how loud navigation would be at volume 11. Maybe something wrong with the sound system? Worth having the service center take a look at it.