Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Question - Preferred Route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering if there is a way to set a preferred navigation route?

My use case is that I have the car set to auto navigate to work each weekday; this works well. However the default route is often to complex/dangerous as it requires me to cross two lanes of highway traffic where two highways intersect. Of course this is a highway design issue, as using navigation / FSD or not, I don't like doing this maneuver at all.

There is another navigation route that I have verified to be within 5 minutes or less of the first route, and FSD can actually perform the route without disengagements. Is there a way to tell the car to always prefer the second route over the first?

Reactions: evannole
You could add a stop at an intermediate destination that forces the route you want, but you would need to do this manually every day. There's no way to store that as your work route.

You could try taking over and hand driving along your preferred route a short distance until the car reroutes the way you want to proceed. Depending on the route, it might not take much hand driving.

Upvote 0
You could add a stop at an intermediate destination that forces the route you want, but you would need to do this manually every day. There's no way to store that as your work route.

You could try taking over and hand driving along your preferred route a short distance until the car reroutes the way you want to proceed. Depending on the route, it might not take much hand driving.
You could use this method and try to save as a favorite maybe!

Upvote 0
@EVRider-FL - Okay, so I don't see the alternate route being suggested, as the car is using the "Work" navigation preset. So the route is already set when I arrive in the car. Perhaps if I start navigation manually. Will retry.

@Supcom - Basically, I have been cancelling navigation after two nags to change lanes during the "First Route." Once I pass the exit I can re-engage FSD and the car will follow the "Second Route."

@CDrury - There appears to be no real way to save routes as favorites, only destinations.

@Rice&Curry - This "learning" type of behavior does not appear to exist.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, but this appears to be a backlog item for Tesla to offer in future updates. It is a bit disappointing as I have driven the "second route" twice this week, and have arrived a minute faster (and safer) than the suggested route. :cool: I know the way to drive without navigation, this is just fallout from using FSD.

Upvote 0
If you put it on navigation mode but drive the route you prefer ( ignoring the car's recommended route) for a few weeks, will the car learn your preferred route and remember it for future routing ??
I wish it would. When I drive to and from work, I utilize the reversible toll lanes that run parallel to but are separate from I-75 just north of Atlanta. The car never suggests using them. Once I'm on them, it understands and knows where I need to exit from them, but it's never figured out that they're an option (and usually a much faster one). I do have toll roads enabled in the navigation options.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Upvote 0
@EVRider-FL - Okay, so I don't see the alternate route being suggested, as the car is using the "Work" navigation preset. So the route is already set when I arrive in the car. Perhaps if I start navigation manually. Will retry.
You should still be able to choose an alternate route when navigation starts automatically. I've done that when navigation starts automatically based on my calendar entries.

Upvote 0
You should still be able to choose an alternate route when navigation starts automatically. I've done that when navigation starts automatically based on my calendar entries.
So I have revisited this and can confirm that alternate routes are suggested. However the suggested Alternate Routes are significant changes to the Navigation destinations. So this would be like an entirely different highway. What I need, and sounds like @evannole needs, is a slightly different route.

My total trip is 18 miles. The default mapped route instead transfers highways to I-670, has me cut across 2 lanes of congested highway traffic (in 1/4 mile) to exit on a surface street at the north part of downtown (it's busiest), then crawl through bumper-to-bumper traffic for 6 traffic lights, needing to move right 4 lanes to make a right turn. I need a change so that at mile 14 the vehicle continues down I-71 for 2 more miles and exits to a surface street on the east part of downtown; going through 4 traffic lights to my destination.

Sure, the default route is the shortest in distance, but the way I want the car to go is much safer and is faster during all but the lightest traffic. Google maps suggests the same way as Tesla does, but this sort of thing happens all the time. People may prefer a more scenic route, or don't want to drive through low safety areas, or prefer two-lane roads because FSD can't stop trying to change lanes on certain four-lane roads. :p

Upvote 0
I wish it would. When I drive to and from work, I utilize the reversible toll lanes that run parallel to but are separate from I-75 just north of Atlanta. The car never suggests using them. Once I'm on them, it understands and knows where I need to exit from them, but it's never figured out that they're an option (and usually a much faster one). I do have toll roads enabled in the navigation options.
The flip side is that in Northern Virginia, my car will try to use the reversible toll lanes on I-95 when the barriers are down and they're going in the other direction - I'd rather have your issue ;):p

• Funny
Upvote 0
Try changing your navigation settings and reducing the number of minutes delay that will trigger an alternate route. I think the default is 10 minutes.
Good thinking - but mine has been at 1 minute for the 4.5 years I've had the car. I think the car just doesn't understand the reversible lanes. Pity, because Waze does - it almost always knows when they're open and in which direction.

Upvote 0
Try changing your navigation settings and reducing the number of minutes delay that will trigger an alternate route. I think the default is 10 minutes.
A logical suggestion that surprisingly yields no results.

Yesterday I changed the setting to 1 minute, before leaving the house (but after route was entered). I arrived at work 3 minutes earlier than the predicted "undesired route." This morning I again arrived 3 minutes earlier using the route I want, and the re-route setting was already there from the previous day.

The navigation really wants me to have to cross two lanes of highway traffic, which is often bumper-to-bumper. But the route I prefer has never been backed up or slow, in the 6 times I've taken it. I also seem to make all of the lights without having to stop on red.

Oddly, the navigation does suggest the reverse of my preferred route, in the afternoon some days. Where most days it is the reverse of the undesired route, though this trip does not have the same issue crossing multiple lanes.

Upvote 0
The navigation really wants me to have to cross two lanes of highway traffic, which is often bumper-to-bumper. But the route I prefer has never been backed up or slow, in the 6 times I've taken it. I also seem to make all of the lights without having to stop on red.
To fix this, send feedback on Google Maps so they can adjust the route scoring for this intersection. Tesla gets the data from Google.
  1. Get the route on desktop Google Maps.
  2. Click Details for the route.
  3. Click the hamburger menu
    Menu
  4. Click Edit the map.
  5. Expand the route section that you want to change.
  6. Click ("flag") the route step you want to change.
  7. Explain the problem as precisely as you can.

Upvote 0
To fix this, send feedback on Google Maps so they can adjust the route scoring for this intersection. Tesla gets the data from Google.
  1. Get the route on desktop Google Maps.
  2. Click Details for the route.
  3. Click the hamburger menu
    Menu
  4. Click Edit the map.
  5. Expand the route section that you want to change.
  6. Click ("flag") the route step you want to change.
  7. Explain the problem as precisely as you can.
I'll give this a try. In your experience, how long (if at all) has it taken to implement suggested changes?

I corrected my home address being at the wrong place on the map in 2017 and 2018, multiple times. DoorDash drivers (who must use an older Google Maps) drove 3 houses down until early 2022. After flagging down some dozen plus drivers, I asked them to show me their app. It was not correct.

Upvote 0
In your experience, how long (if at all) has it taken to implement suggested changes?
For this kind of change, it could take weeks maybe and might not happen. After finding the feedback feature yesterday, I submitted routing feedback for a case where the the instructions are confusing and sound contradictory amidst busy freeway forks. So I'll see what happens. The problem report got an acknowledgement thank-you email.

Updating a business's hours can happen in minutes if the report includes a photo of their posted hours.

It takes more review time for moving a marker pin, which is useful when the nav direction doesn't get to an actual entrance from the road. It helps to have the new location look reasonable on the satellite photo.

Anyway if your request takes longer than, say, a month, I can check if I still have inside contacts to forward it to.

Upvote 0