Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation reset every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I joined the club! I have been wanting to buy a Tesla for the past 2 years. One issue that I wanted to ask the forum members, I picked up my new 90D last week and have been noticing that I need to reset the nav everyday during my first drive with the steering wheel controls. The rest of the day its fine. I did a search on the forum and did not find anything promising. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm taking it in this week to have the tech's take a look. Other than that this is by far the most advanced car I have ever driven. Thanks for your input!

Congrats on your new S90D!

Please describe a little more what you are seeing and what/how you are resetting your Nav. I don't have specific issues with Navigation requiring my to reset settings or something like that, so puzzled what your problem may be and how to possibly help.

Congrats on your new S90D!

Please describe a little more what you are seeing and what/how you are resetting your Nav. I don't have specific issues with Navigation requiring my to reset settings or something like that, so puzzled what your problem may be and how to possibly help.

Thanks for your reply!
I get into the car in the morning for the first time and I drive off and try to enter an address into navigation and the "rotating circle" starts searching but it never finds anything and continues to hang even after 30 minutes nothing happens. Then I press and hold the two steering wheel buttons and it resets the whole 17 in screen. At that point nav works immediately and finds the destination and starts routing without any issues for the rest of the day. Service center said it may be due to having the "keep connected" checked in the energy savings menu and they unchecked that but it still has the same issue. Its almost like the navigation isn't able to access the gps satellites until it is manually reset every morning.

Thanks for your reply!
I get into the car in the morning for the first time and I drive off and try to enter an address into navigation and the "rotating circle" starts searching but it never finds anything and continues to hang even after 30 minutes nothing happens. Then I press and hold the two steering wheel buttons and it resets the whole 17 in screen. At that point nav works immediately and finds the destination and starts routing without any issues for the rest of the day. Service center said it may be due to having the "keep connected" checked in the energy savings menu and they unchecked that but it still has the same issue. Its almost like the navigation isn't able to access the gps satellites until it is manually reset every morning.

Do other functions on your 17" like say FM Radio, Phone, etc work when your Nav is hung, or is it really just Nav? I ask because I've had much more issue with my 17" being hung (not just Nav), not waking up, or seeming to completely reboot seconds after my IC turns on after getting into my MS since I installed 2.12.126 (or 2.13.77) late February. I have had my "Energy Saving ON & Always Connected" for months.

Do other functions on your 17" like say FM Radio, Phone, etc work when your Nav is hung, or is it really just Nav? I ask because I've had much more issue with my 17" being hung (not just Nav), not waking up, or seeming to completely reboot seconds after my IC turns on after getting into my MS since I installed 2.12.126 (or 2.13.77) late February. I have had my "Energy Saving ON & Always Connected" for months.
The other options seems to work fine, touchscreen doesn't freeze and seemingly its fully functional except that navigation continues to get hung up looking for an address.

I observe this if the car has been parked somewhere where there is poor GPS reception.

It takes quite a long time to sync to enough satellites to get a good fix. This is a common GPS receiver issue with cars, satnavs etc.

I have suggested they assume at startup the car is where it was when parked though it isn't implemented yet as far as I can see.

Instead of entering an address or otherwise requesting a Route, just observe if the triangular icon is showing your current position on the map, and the map is being updated/moved as you drive.

If that basic function is not working, it is fairly certain that the car's cell-data connectivity is not yet available. However, if that function is working, and you can hear internet music, then the problem is likely to be the connection to the smaller nav that one can see on the dashboard after a route is calculated, because it is this smaller nav unit that actually calculates the Route.

The calculated Route is just displayed on the touchscreen. The fact that a reboot fixes it indicates that the reboot probably resets both of these connections, to the smaller nav, and to the internet via the cell-data.

Please let us know what the SvC finds.