Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation- Road Closure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know about mudslides but here in the Midwest if a road is closed for construction it will make it into the system within a few days of the closure and then reroute appropriately. And it seems to know relatively soon once it's open again. Flooding? I doubt that and I don't think your insurance agent would be too happy with the excuse "the car told me to go that way."

I do not know about mud slide. I found the Tesla map unreliable for lane closure and delay on the highway here around Atlanta.
Last fall, for about 3 months, GA DOT was repaving section of I75 south of Atlanta. Waze, Apple maps and Google maps did show delay and suggested alternative route. The Tesla maps did not propose any alternative route that will have saved me time. In the Tesla map I had the option ON for alternative route if it 5 minutes shorter. For long trip, I now use Waze and ignore the Tesla map routing.

We are experiencing road closures from flooding and mudslides. Does navigation give you a warning before you start driving when your route is closed? Does it suggest alternative routes?
Try using Tesla Waze. It gets live updates from users. Even shows police sure traps. Search in the browser for Tesla Waze and bookmark the location when found.

Try using Tesla Waze. It gets live updates from users. Even shows police sure traps. Search in the browser for Tesla Waze and bookmark the location when found.

Navigating around Montreal for the last couple of years has been virtually impossible without Waze, which has a collaborative contract with the city to keep their maps up to date with road construction on a daily basis. I typically set up my route using Waze on the phone , but it frequently loses GPS data because the phone cradle sits so low in the car. I'm very excited to see if Tesla Waze can improve this situation!

Waze is without exception the best, up to date real time navigation tool there is not to mention police and camera trap alarms. I ended up putting a iPad mini on the console with a couple of velcro strips. The flip up door remains fully functional and I pad is easily removed however I always keep it in the car as is. Its plugged into the connector in the rear of the armrest which is active all the time so the unit is always charged. You do need an internet connection for this to function however I set it up to hotspot off of my phone which is automatic. Works great.

Navigating around Montreal for the last couple of years has been virtually impossible without Waze, which has a collaborative contract with the city to keep their maps up to date with road construction on a daily basis. I typically set up my route using Waze on the phone , but it frequently loses GPS data because the phone cradle sits so low in the car. I'm very excited to see if Tesla Waze can improve this situation!

I tried previously "Tesla Waze". It is not the same as Waze running on my phone. My other car (BMW) has wireless CarPlay. It will be great to be able to run CarPlay in a Tesla.

Tesla waze was crap IMHO this is why I went with the ipad addition. I am also located in the Montreal area by the way.

I use a magnetic phone mount everywhere, cars, office, boat. Just so very convenient. This was the solution for the Y which worked out very well. Rotate it out if needed, put one on my wife's side also. Stick on so no holes or permanent mount to deal with if you want to remove. Easily mounts to the main screen in the Y. You may want to look into this as your phone will now sit up hign and GPS reception will be perfect. Oddly enough I never had gps reception problem on the factory charging tray using an iPhone 11 pro. https://www.amazon.ca/Magnetic-Cellphone-Mount-Side-Laptop/dp/B0873727DF

Last edited: