Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Screen too prominent in V.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just download v9 and haven't full explored all the features. However one glaring dislike is the prominence Tesla give to the Navigation app.

Part of my decision to pass on the M3 was that the nav app hogged the whole screen and couldn't be closed. Like many, I know where I'm going 99% of the time and I prefer to have either the music app or the browser app on the screen as a default.

V9 no longer allows you to toggle the screen between apps and constantly has the Nav screen in the background. It believe it was a mistake on the M3 and now is compounded by imposing this on everyone.

I don't understand Tesla designer's love of the navigation feature. Return the switching option the driver.

Tesla is pushing hard to use the navigation software to drive the cars in "driver assistance" mode. The first release of that functionality was intended for V9, and will likely show up in the coming months.

If/when Tesla ever gets FSD working - and approved for operation without driver monitoring, the navigation display won't be needed, and 100% of the console display could be used for non-driving applications.

Until then, Tesla may not go back to hiding the navigation app - their priority is to continuing improving the navigation software so they can achieve their goal of making the car operate safer under AP.

I haven't had enough time to prove/dis-prove this but it seems that if you call up the camera using the bottom row buttons, the rear view image will appear in the lower half of the screen.

If you put the car in R, the camera will auto appear in the upper half of the screen.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

....so just backwards in R all the time for the camera to be in the top half of the screen. Problem solved.

yep. I am curious to see if somebody is able to display the camera on the upper half of the screen while driving though.

I would like this back. I prefer the rear camera on top while driving with the media player below. I don't need the nav screen on at all times.

I haven't taken the time yet to see if it's possible. I hope it is.

Tesla is pushing hard to use the navigation software to drive the cars in "driver assistance" mode. The first release of that functionality was intended for V9, and will likely show up in the coming months.

If/when Tesla ever gets FSD working - and approved for operation without driver monitoring, the navigation display won't be needed, and 100% of the console display could be used for non-driving applications.

So I'm going to get FSD and/or Driver assistance on my 2013 Model S? Cool beans!

Tesla will likely (and should) focus software releases on the new and upcoming vehicles. Pre-AP and AP1 cars are on "obsolete" hardware, and will likely see fewer and fewer new features in software releases, though they should still benefit from major feature upgrades like the new V2 navigation software (and upcoming features like waypoints).

Current S/X owners may also have to get used to the fact that Tesla may start prioritizing more features that work better in landscape mode for horizontal displays - since the number of vehicles with horizontal displays (Model 3) will soon pass and then quickly dominate the number of vehicles with vertical displays (current S/X).

Since Tesla's long term goal is to get approval for FSD, also wouldn't be surprised to see a refreshed S/X interior with a horizontal display, which will be better suited for displaying video while the vehicle is operating under FSD.

Until we traded it in for a new X a few months ago, we had one of the early 2012 S P85's - and while we got the same software releases as the other vehicles, over time, we were seeing more and more of the features focused on newer vehicles, which we expected. Which is already starting to happen with our 2017 S 100D - which won't get the new dashcam feature unless we want to pony up for an MCU2 upgrade...