Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation SD card is broken and needs to be replaced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The navigation on my car is not working. I think the SD card is broken and needs to be replaced. I bought a new 16G sd card at Tesla for $20. I'm going to replace this card myself this week. My question is: Do I need to turn off the power before replacing this card ? Thanks a lot for your answers !

Probably not. The SD card should be an "endurance" card, made by several manufacturers, to withstand high heat and very cold temps, and allow much rewriting if your car is newer so it won't wear out. A regular SD card like what was in the car originally will likely last at least 3 to 5 years. This post has good info. 2015 Model S Nav Map SD Card Swap?
Hi. My car is 2013 MS. SD card has been working for 8 years, life should be over. Are you sure I don't need to hit power off before replacing the SD card ?

I have finished replacing the SD card today, it took 1 hours. I didn't move the MCU, I just disassembled the two panels. It is easy to take out the SD card, but it is very, very difficult to insert it, it takes 30 min. Because I didn't move the MCU. So inserting SD card is very difficult.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I have finished replacing the SD card today, it took 1 hours. I didn't move the MCU, I just disassembled the two panels. It is easy to take out the SD card, but it is very, very difficult to insert it, it takes 30 min. Because I didn't move the MCU. So inserting SD card is very difficult.
What is the difficulty with inserting? Is it not reachable? Does it springload as with e.g. a camera? I'm asking because I intend to change mine to.

It's a chore because the dash needs to come apart the card needs formatting another chore.

If there's something else being done behind the dash then it makes sense.

I was ready to go for it but since learning to keep the car out of direct sun as much as possible and the last update seemed to make a big difference.

There's a few threads describing the fix.