Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation software that prioritizes right of way routes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep bumping into the same problem. Much worse with Waze, but also with Tesla navigation. Most times, the suggested route does not seem to take into account things like left turns against heavy incoming traffic or crossing major thoroughfares where one does not have the right of way.

The result is that, on paper yes, the route seems slightly faster, but it turns out not to be after waiting and waiting in order to cross six lanes of heavy traffic.

In cities like LA, this turns the suggested routes into little more than informed opinions. And don’t get me started with the nerve wrackiness of the experience... I am fine adding an extra minute to my trip if that minimizes the risk of ending under an 18-wheeler.

Anybody knows of any apps that factor this more heavily into their algorithm? The ideal would be a setting similar to “avoid toll roads” but this one would be “prioritize right of way”. One can dream...

It may depend too much on local knowledge / analysis, vs. things that can be inferred from a map. As more cars provide historical data, it may enable this via machine learning.
UPS supposedly saved a lot of time/money by eliminating left turns from their routes, but they're trying to cover all addresses, not get from point A to B, so if they did anything more sophisticated than just banning left turns, it may not translate to nav (or they may guard it as a trade secret)

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
I believe that some of the GPS devices provide these options. It's more common for devices that support commercial traffic. You really don't want to have to make right hand turns in semis.

No GPS is perfect, partially because perfect means predicting the future.

People think that GPS routing is correct, and will follow it into a mud hole, as we recent proven in Denver. They are in reality only suggestions. Anyone that really knows how to navigate will only take them as an informed opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Yes, I exactly had the UPS system in mind...

I am not one to follow the GPS blindly, but even knowing the general area, it is impossible to know beforehand if the random surface street that the app is suggesting today leads to an intersection with a mejor boulevard where you have to pray for your life in order to cross to the other side; while just taking a street two blocks away would have you sitting at a nice traffic light.

I assume that the database does know. It should be just a matter of telling it, hey, if there is an easier turn/crossing option within reasonable distance of the general route, just go with that one. We can call it a “Rush Hour mode” :)