TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Navigation supercharger routing question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tnt1971, Jul 14, 2016.

1. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

I have had my S for about 3 months now with 5,000 fun filled miles. I have not taken any trips outside of the car's range yet where supercharging would have been required, but I have used superchargers 4 or 5 times.

Yesterday I had a last minute trip of about 70 miles from NY to the Trenton area in NJ. I had about 160 RMs on the car so I knew I would need to hit a charger on the way back, and I knew there were at least 3 of them on my route. When I got into the car to come back, I had about 80 miles left and I put my home address in. It did not route me through any of the chargers and when I got on the highway I got the warning "stay below 50 MPH to reach destination" despite having to pass 3 chargers. I, of course, manually overrode this and stopped at a charger to pick up 60 or so miles. It seems silly for the car to tell you to drive at a low speed and risk getting stuck in traffic, not making it to your destination, when there are numerous chargers along the route.

Is this normal behavior? I thought the purpose of the nav was to eliminate range anxiety, not encourage it.

2. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Since the newer updates were installed the car does not stop for charges less than 5 minutes for charging. The car also has a 10-20% buffer built into the Nav so just keep an eye on range remaining and miles left on the trip. Usually no need to slow down once you get used to it.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I would find it odd, however, that the car would opt to go in to the reduced speed/conserve energy mode rather than have you charge instead...

• Like x 1
  4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

I found on my many cross country trips that when you leave a charger it is optimistic in reaching your next destination. A few miles into the trip it starts getting pessimistic and warns you to slow down. This is probably due to new calculations taking the acceleration energy usage into the equation. A few more miles into the trip, while going at a steady highway speed, new calculations will give you a truer destination state of charge.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Do you have the trip planner disabled, possibly? If there are chargers on the way, it should route you through them rather than tell you to slow down. My experience has been that the trip planner errs on the side of charging, often telling me to make completely unnecessary charging stops when I can easily make it farther away. But the trip planning stuff is optional, and if you have it turned off then the car will just route directly to your destination regardless of charging.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, with 70 real miles to go, and 80 rated miles on the car, that's not nearly enough buffer to arrive safely. From my experience (many long road trips), the trip planner really likes to have 10% or more of charge upon arrival, so that's at least 20 to 30 rated miles. It definitely should have routed you to Hamilton Marketplace which is so close to Trenton. So as suggested above, maybe you have trip planner turned off, or somehow you accidentally tapped "remove supercharger stops" (unlikely). But something went wrong for sure.

7. bob_p

bob_p Member

We only use the Trip Planner for advice on the charge level needed when leaving a charger, because the software's assumptions are relatively optimistic (driving at or below the speed limit, ideal weather/traffic conditions, ...).

We just completed a long road trip - and used our "30-30" rule for determining when we left most chargers - waiting until the rated range was 130% of the distance to the next charger plus an additional 30 miles of range. And this usually left us with 30 to 50 miles of range when we reached the next charger.

However, on the last day of driving, we hit 20-25 headwinds the entire way - and that caused such a large increase in energy consumption, we ended up having to slow down 5-15 MPH during each segment to make it to the next charger.

The Trip Planner is a good start - though like most of the Tesla software, it's disappointing that we haven't seen any significant improvements since the first release.