Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation System Errors: nonsense routes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For beta software there is normally a formal process for providing feedback or bug reports. Is there a formal process for reporting feedback to Tesla?

Hold the voice button, say bug report, then a quick message like "Trip planner is going crazy ;) " Something better then that but you get the point, it really does need to be quick, you should then see a "thanks for the feedback" message on the small screen.

Several weeks ago I was in Birmingham 116 miles from home (well known charging site) with ~150 miles of range and Idiot Supercharger Routing was insisting I needed to go 155 miles to the Chattanooga Supercharger, and was complaining about estimated -1% remaining when I would get there. If thats not bad enough its another 130 miles from Chattanooga to home.

Was driving and didn't readily see the "remove Superchargers" option so instead I deleted the route/destination. Wasn't until 40 miles from home before it would finally route me direct but before that it got really ridiculous with its insistence I needed to go 170 miles to Chattanooga when battery range was down to 110.

Tesla Routing FTW - Stupid Routing on Navigation

Post 'em up!

Yea, I think I'll make a u-turn for... NO FREAKING REASON here.

The roads connect! they are roads!

IMG_2852.jpg

This is about the 6th time it's been... less than intelligent for me.

Sigh.

I understand why Tesla's doing their own routing--they want to customize it. But frankly, they should use Google's routing until theirs is better--which--clearly--seems a ways off...

- - - Updated - - -

There's a road near my house (two-lane state highway) and the routing system seems to think the road doesn't connect from one end to the other, so it's always taking an odd circuitous route. Tesla really ought to be embarassed to have the routing in their software. I don't care if it's beta...if the customers don't have a choice to use a non-beta version, then don't push anything out until it's no longer a beta. It's like the testers were completely out to lunch on this one.

I reported the issue near my house, complete with lat/lon locating the problem area. Alas, I got a "form letter" response and there's been no improvement in 6 months.

C'mon Elon...get someone to focus on software quality assurance...

I think it's based on a snapshot of Waze data. Routing to my inlaw's place in Arnold was great until the last update when it wanted to take me on private dirt logging roads. Interestingly enough Waze was ding the exact same route, until I spent the weekend learning the map editor and fixing the streets and the linkage for the house number. 48 hours later Waze was reliably giving the correct route, but my hope that Tesla was using the Waze API when a data connection existed were crushed as Tesla still wants to send me on the dirt roads.

I'm actually glad Tesla allows us to use these new features before they are fully ironed out. Having a navigation system that is initially programmed to be very risk adverse is a good idea. As they collect data it will of course get better. The more data points they collect the faster and more accurate it will be. It can be frustrating as many of you have pointed out, but I personally hope I continue to get to test out new tech.

On a side note, does anyone know how to "sign up" to be part of Tesla's beta testing program? I'd be onboard in a heartbeat.

So, today I asked the Tesla to calculate a route for me to Lewes, Delaware. From Washington, this is about 120 miles away, almost due east. The car had 175 miles of range on it.

What route did it give me? North to Newark, DE (90ish miles). Then due south down to Salisbury, MD (106 miles). Then northeast to Lewes (43 miles). What's weirder is that even routing me through the Supercharger at Delaware, the car told me I wouldn't have enough range to reach Salisbury. Which I suppose I wouldn't, if I drove 90 miles to Delaware, didn't charge, and then tried to drive another 100 miles to Salisbury.

Try as I might, I couldn't get it to give me the straight shot route.

I've also noticed in other circumstances that the car gives you utterly bizarre routes--like last week, I was going from one destination to another, both on the same road, and the car suggested i take a 60 mile detour, turning west off the road, going 30 miles, and then almost immediately turning around and coming back.

Not sure what algorithm they are using, but the nav is basically useless at this point. I understand that "beta" means glitches, but this is much worse than that.

We drove from Phoenix to San Diego yesterday...

I described above what that routing from my house takes us 80 miles out of the way to Cordes Junction, so I just put the Gila Bend supercharger in for my first destination. At Gila Bend, I put our hotel in, and it routed OK. We left Gila Bend with plenty of range to get to Yuma per EV Trip Planner, and the car was displaying the message saying we had enough charge. About 6 miles out of Gila Bend, it re-routed us BACK to Gila Bend. But I continued on to Yuma and made it with using fewer RM than EV Trip Planner predicted.

After charging in Yuma with plenty of range to reach El Centro, it did the same thing about 6 miles out of Yuma... We made our destination OK without any backtracking...

mildly annoying and Tesla needs to fix the logic...

I get nonsensical recommendations all the time. For instance on the Highway route that I regularly drive, the nav app diverts me off the highway (that bypasses the town) and suggests that I drive through the town and then back onto the Highway presumably because its slightly shorter (but of course takes longer). it also refuses to route me onto toll roads. There are no preference options like there are with my Tom Tom app, and no re-routing options. I wouldn't want to rely on the app.

Wow. At least I'm not going crazy.

But taking this one step further, when I enter something into the Nav now, not only do I get completely incorrect routing information ... not even accurate to known Superchargers, but on the main navigation window, all traffic indicators go away AND the blue line showing my route simply disappears. It still shows in the dash next to my speed, but the main screen ceases to exist.

Like most posters here, I did a normal road trip to my second office 70 miles away ... since there are no superchargers on the way, it mapped it fine and even kept pace with traffic delays to reroute me ... but the actual traffic data still didn't show on the screen nor did the blue lines. But when I took a trip from Frederick, MD to Ocean City, MD ... there would normally be two superchargers on the way ... leaving PLENTY of miles to get to my destination by only using one ... Tesla mapping did that crazy thing you all are talking about and routed me through Delaware ... TWICE! My family almost freaked out because a normal three hour trip was saying six hours and we wouldn't make it on the charge. Turns out we made it with over 100 miles to spare after topping up at the first supercharger in Montgomery Mall.

Crazy.

Now I just enter the destination to check the traffic then turn it off. If I want to know distance and time to destination I just hit the PLACES button while en route and it will display my last five destinations and estimate distance/time to them in real time.

I leave the Tesla routing turned off so I can see the traffic in real time on my screen.

Hopefully this new updated that just got pushed will fix this.

CharlesJR

Does anyone else get mis-matches between the big screen nav and the small screen? I've had two occasions now where the large screen shows I'm on the road that I am on while the small screen thinks I'm off-roading and keeps trying to re-route me.

Really bizarre and annoying.

Does anyone else get mis-matches between the big screen nav and the small screen? I've had two occasions now where the large screen shows I'm on the road that I am on while the small screen thinks I'm off-roading and keeps trying to re-route me.

Really bizarre and annoying.

It happens. Big screen is google maps, small screen is Tesla nav, I believe.

Count me in on the Eastern Shore MD routing failures. On Sunday I drove from home (DC area) to Ocean City, starting with 100% charge. The nav system told me to go through Newark DE and then down to Salisbury, and at various points (as I ignored it and headed east on Route 50) it warned me to drive slowly or I wouldn't have enough range. Of course I had plenty.

I can maybe understand the nav system trying to avoid the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, especially if there's a really bad delay on it (though there wasn't when I made the trip). And in fact as soon as I passed the last exit before the bridge, the route corrected itself. But even stranger to me is that if it's going to route me so far north, through Newark, why doesn't it tell me to charge in Newark if I wouldn't have enough to make it to Salisbury?

I used the voice bug report feature in the car; not sure if they follow up with people who make reports but I'd guess not in a case like this. I do hope they're taking all the nav fail feedback into account though.