TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Navigation System Needs Service

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by trils0n, Mar 19, 2016.

1. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Just got a new error message today:

Navigation System Needs Service
    Maps Are Not Loaded

20160319_135443_nav_small.jpg

Anyone seen this before? I don't recall reading anything about it, and a quick search showed nothing.

Have my 3 year service scheduled for April, so will wait until then to see what Tesla says, unless it fixes itself between now and then.

2. Frank the Tank

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. I rebooted both screens and it's been working fine since...

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Was going to try a reboot, but forgot after arriving home. Went out to the car for another trip and the message was gone. /shrug. Still going to ask Tesla about it at my service appointment.

4. Evee

Evee Member

Yeah just reset. Or even just ignore it. Next time it boots up it should go away. I've seen this 3 times before. Once immediately following an update.

5. JvdS

JvdS Member

I had the same, went to SC and theu told me it is because the internal memory is overloaded.
    They said that a reset has to be done every 4 weeks or any way on a regular basis to clean the RAM

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

Probably wouldn't hurt to empty all your previous Nav searches, if you have hundreds, thousands, of them.

7. garygid

garygid Member

So, it sounds like a software bug, possibly in the Nav or Route Display routines, where the memory usage is not cleaned up properly ... a memory leak. But, nothing to fix in the hardware.

For me, a first symptom is that the traffic speed colors are not shown. I had to do a reboot of the touchscreen yesterday as I was driving, just to see the Route, which sometimes draws at one zoom setting, but not at another zoom level.

Presumably this problem will get fixed in some future release, but it might just get somewhat better, stay the same, or even get worse before it gets fixed.

8. pdq

pdq Member

In 6 months, and 9,000 miles of driving a P90D I haven't seen this message, but if I did I wouldn't care as the Nav system is so stupid that I don't use it. The few times I've tried it, it has tried to take me on truly whacky routes, which is why I have my old Garmin in the car. Plus the Garmin has many, many capabilities than the Tesla lacks.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

You misunderstood. That wasn't an error message. Your car was simply begging for a revamped Navigation System! All the navigation systems need service. Your car is simply leading the charge!

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I see this message now and then and I ignore it and reboot the system. It goes away only and everything works fine until the next time. Cleary a bug that Tesla has not yet addressed,

11. robert774

robert774 Member

Like any good software, it will be fixed and two new bugs will be introduced... :)