Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation System Needs Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
Earth
Just got a new error message today:

Maps Are Not Loaded

20160319_135443_nav_small.jpg

Anyone seen this before? I don't recall reading anything about it, and a quick search showed nothing.

Have my 3 year service scheduled for April, so will wait until then to see what Tesla says, unless it fixes itself between now and then.

So, it sounds like a software bug, possibly in the Nav or Route Display routines, where the memory usage is not cleaned up properly ... a memory leak. But, nothing to fix in the hardware.

For me, a first symptom is that the traffic speed colors are not shown. I had to do a reboot of the touchscreen yesterday as I was driving, just to see the Route, which sometimes draws at one zoom setting, but not at another zoom level.

Presumably this problem will get fixed in some future release, but it might just get somewhat better, stay the same, or even get worse before it gets fixed.

In 6 months, and 9,000 miles of driving a P90D I haven't seen this message, but if I did I wouldn't care as the Nav system is so stupid that I don't use it. The few times I've tried it, it has tried to take me on truly whacky routes, which is why I have my old Garmin in the car. Plus the Garmin has many, many capabilities than the Tesla lacks.

Reactions: Boatguy
Just got a new error message today:

Maps Are Not Loaded

View attachment 167836

Anyone seen this before? I don't recall reading anything about it, and a quick search showed nothing.

Have my 3 year service scheduled for April, so will wait until then to see what Tesla says, unless it fixes itself between now and then.

I see this message now and then and I ignore it and reboot the system. It goes away only and everything works fine until the next time. Cleary a bug that Tesla has not yet addressed,

So, it sounds like a software bug, possibly in the Nav or Route Display routines, where the memory usage is not cleaned up properly ... a memory leak. But, nothing to fix in the hardware.

For me, a first symptom is that the traffic speed colors are not shown. I had to do a reboot of the touchscreen yesterday as I was driving, just to see the Route, which sometimes draws at one zoom setting, but not at another zoom level.

Presumably this problem will get fixed in some future release, but it might just get somewhat better, stay the same, or even get worse before it gets fixed.
Like any good software, it will be fixed and two new bugs will be introduced... :)

I just got this message for the first time and would like to offer an observation. This weekend I discovered Tesla Web Apps and used them a lot today with a long navigated trip. I think the combination caused a shortage of memory/resources and this message was the result. After a while of not using the Web Apps (which included real time weather and news updates) the message went away. I use the GPS often and have the tech package. I think this is a default message.

I just got this message for the first time and would like to offer an observation. This weekend I discovered Tesla Web Apps and used them a lot today with a long navigated trip. I think the combination caused a shortage of memory/resources and this message was the result. After a while of not using the Web Apps (which included real time weather and news updates) the message went away. I use the GPS often and have the tech package. I think this is a default message.
Interesting observation, maybe a coincidence, but good to note.

I got the message when I started the car this morning. Did a reboot and disappeared. Don't recall having done anything different the day before, but could be long term memory leak which leads to resource shortage as you suggested.

Just got the message today. Tried to reboot several times (both screens) and it still appears. E-mailed my service advisor and they "pulled logs" and said I needed to bring it to the service center to be fixed. I asked what needed to be fixed and she didn't know. They scheduled an appointment for next week. Let's see if it magically goes away on its own before my appointment.

I picked up my new Tesla Model S 75D two days ago and am having similar issues constantly. Tried most of the above reboots, till I found this video before that indicates this is a firmware bug:

Search YouTube for: "Tesla Vehicle Wireless Network Software Glitch (Initializing Loop)"

Car at the service center now and they are trying to figure out the problem. They suspect it is a failed SD card behind the main screen. I'll post when I get the car back as to what they fixed or replaced.

Hi! Did they find the cause of the issue? I’ve had this error message on my screen ever since I received my new X100, have attempted to reset several times but no success. A fact to point out is that the navigation feature does not work at all

Hi! Did they find the cause of the issue? I’ve had this error message on my screen ever since I received my new X100, have attempted to reset several times but no success. A fact to point out is that the navigation feature does not work at all

I had the same issue here:

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

They are apparently aware of the issue and seeking a firmware update. But they were able to solve mine at the SC. No issues in the last week since the reset.