Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system really is not even close to TomTom....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every navigation system even in low priced cars has the options of selecting - Points of interest, dealerships, 5 days location weather, restaurants, groceries, etc. etc. Also, there is an option to select by name or phone no.

When is @tesla going to incorporate all this in model Xs?

At this point $60-$80 TomTom offers more than Tesla's Navigation system.

Mr Musk, are you listening pls?

I agree with OP. My Tesla doesn't make a home cooked meal as good as my momma used to. When is Musk going to start producing an electric car with an automated EZ-bake oven? It's about time we all get some good robot car cooked meals. Why does Musk hate food so much? Is it because he's an alien? Has anyone ever seen him eat human food?

People deserve answers, damn it!

The original navigation system (NAV 1.0) was a FrankeNAV cobbled together from different vendors, with Tesla primarily providing the user interface and a 3rd party (Garmin/Navigon) providing (controlling) the actual navigation software. This evidently restricted the features Tesla could add to the navigation system; it appeared they added routing through superchargers by making UI changes - not by making any changes to the actual nav software.

The new navigation system (NAV 2.0) is evidently using open source packages, and when it was rolled out Musk stated this would allow Tesla to add new long-missing features, like waypoints.

And like long-promised Media Player improvements, we're still waiting...

Every navigation system even in low priced cars has the options of selecting - Points of interest, dealerships, 5 days location weather, restaurants, groceries, etc. etc. Also, there is an option to select by name or phone no.

Is this a joke?

With the Tesla nav, you have the power of Google Maps for searching. Have you even tried entering "arbitrary" text in the search field? You can ask for any kind of food (fast food, asian, italian, etc.), any kind of store (by name, type of product they sell, etc), tourist attractions, airports (by name in several languages, airport code, etc.), whole or partial adresses, parking lots, superchargers, etc. You can also see stars-based Google reviews of the search results (awesome for restaurants).

I haven't tried using a phone number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked, since it does work on regular Google maps.

My friends are actually blown away by how seamless and powerful the search is in my Tesla. Now, if you want to permanently show POI icons, indeed, you cannot do that (of course, it depends on your needs. The only POIs I used to display with my old car were gas stations...). Weather is not available either (and I was not aware that every low priced car had this kind of information).

Is this a joke?

With the Tesla nav, you have the power of Google Maps for searching. Have you even tried entering "arbitrary" text in the search field? You can ask for any kind of food (fast food, asian, italian, etc.), any kind of store (by name, type of product they sell, etc), tourist attractions, airports (by name in several languages, airport code, etc.), whole or partial adresses, parking lots, superchargers, etc. You can also see stars-based Google reviews of the search results (awesome for restaurants).

I haven't tried using a phone number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked, since it does work on regular Google maps.

My friends are actually blown away by how seamless and powerful the search is in my Tesla. Now, if you want to permanently show POI icons, indeed, you cannot do that (of course, it depends on your needs. The only POIs I used to display with my old car were gas stations...). Weather is not available either (and I was not aware that every low priced car had this kind of information).
Just to complement... I just tested and it also works with business phone numbers. Just enter the phone number of a local restaurant, for example, and it will find the address and take you there.

I won’t disagree with dedicated GPS being generally better, but I will disagree with nav on other cars.
My experience in driving a large number of rentals is that car mags generally are terrible and don’t really have any of the features you indicate.
I have had a Garmin GPS in EVERY car I have driven for 20 years. The Tesla was finally good enough to not use it

Reactions: Raechris

You need to learn how to use it. Start by reading the manual.

Last edited:
Who actually finds a destination via POIs...?

I mean it’s takes an age >Shopping> what type of shopping> is that nearby or in a town.

I mean how on earth can anything be better than real-time google maps for point of interest data? Google has everything, like everything.

Sure the waypoints is a bit of a pain but even with that and yes I’m a fan boy the Tesla nav is above and beyond any other I’ve used.

You buy a new car, the nav is crap fast forward two years the nav is still crap and out of date but don’t worry for £££ you can update the maps but you know what... it’s still crap my experience is however limited to Nissan and BMW

There are a number of great features present in Tesla's NAV software that are not available in other vehicle NAV systems.

The large console maps, with satellite images, looks fantastic.

Routing through Tesla superchargers helps make driving easier when driving further than the current charge.

However, there are areas that could be made even better.

Waypoints are needed for trips (with one or more waypoints) that are longer than the current charge. This is what Tesla already does with trips that require stopping at multiple superchargers - and should be extended to account for the additional distance travelled when going to waypoints on the your way to the final destination.

Helping with POIs along the route - is another area that could be improved for long distance travel - to make it easier to look for items like restaurants, shopping or ATMs are the upcoming exits on a road trip. With the current search capability, you can do that, but it gets cumbersome in trying to do that at each of the upcoming exits.

And, with NOAP, it would also be helpful if we could customize the route - like you can do with Google maps - dragging the route onto the roads that you want to use. Under NOAP, when you decide you don't like the route, the software will be very insistent in trying to move towards the exit ramp it wants to use - and then eventually relent and recalculate the route - and if that isn't what you want, you'll repeat the process until you and the NAV software agree on the route you want to follow.

While the current NAV software has some nice features - Tesla should continue to make improvements - especially when there are features that will be likely present in competing EVs.

Reactions: Big Earl and DanCar
On your suggestion I went out and bought a Tom Tom. Now I notice that it does not pre-condition my battery when I select a supercharger. It also does not tell me what locations have Wi-Fi or how many empty stalls are available. It also does not give me the code to get into the coffee shop after hours, or how much power the stalls are capable of putting out.

When the heck is Tom Tom going to get with the program and offer all the features of my Tesla.

That totally sucks. I'm going to short Tom Tom stocks immediately :)