Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system really is not even close to TomTom....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a joke?

With the Tesla nav, you have the power of Google Maps for searching. Have you even tried entering "arbitrary" text in the search field? You can ask for any kind of food (fast food, asian, italian, etc.), any kind of store (by name, type of product they sell, etc), tourist attractions, airports (by name in several languages, airport code, etc.), whole or partial adresses, parking lots, superchargers, etc. You can also see stars-based Google reviews of the search results (awesome for restaurants).

I haven't tried using a phone number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked, since it does work on regular Google maps.

My friends are actually blown away by how seamless and powerful the search is in my Tesla. Now, if you want to permanently show POI icons, indeed, you cannot do that (of course, it depends on your needs. The only POIs I used to display with my old car were gas stations...). Weather is not available either (and I was not aware that every low priced car had this kind of information).
seamless? I was using this navigation on long route recently and was so angry...Give you trip withou options to select another route... multiple destinations not possible to select... mean cannot calculate total time to destination, due have to select another locations to route where I want to etc. etc. luckily I took my old Garmin with me and it was good support during trip.At least possibility to welect to route and add intermediate locations MUST be implemented as soon as possible.On top shall be possibility to add POI as speed cameras etc.

seamless? I was using this navigation on long route recently and was so angry...Give you trip withou options to select another route... multiple destinations not possible to select... mean cannot calculate total time to destination, due have to select another locations to route where I want to etc. etc. luckily I took my old Garmin with me and it was good support during trip.At least possibility to welect to route and add intermediate locations MUST be implemented as soon as possible.On top shall be possibility to add POI as speed cameras etc.
Please go back and read the OP's complaint. It has nothing to do with alternative routes or multiple destinations. I do agree that those options would be nice to have and should be included in Tesla's nav but that is not what I'm replying to.

Regarding POI, I'm sorry but in my dictionary, those are restaurants, airports, parks, etc. And for those things, the Tesla nav just shines thanks to the power of Google maps. I stick to my opinion that searching POI is a seamless experience.

I really didn't know that speed cameras were considered points of interest since I don't usually drive above the speed limit anyways. There's always Tesla Waze, by the way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce and PrGrPa
Lack of waypoints is an obvious hole - because that impacts the amount of energy being used - and knowing the entire trip would make it possible to more accurately predict how much charge is needed and when to stop for recharging. The ability to search for waypoints along the route can be very helpful - such as looking for restaurants along the route (and including information about how much additional time will be required to add the waypoint to the trip).

Route optimization is another obvious hole - other nav packages offer multiple options for routing, noting the time difference projected for each route, and allowing an alternate route to be selected. When I know there are multiple obvious routes for a trip - if I ignore the navigation route and being driving on the alternate route, sometimes the navigation system comes out with an even better ETA.

I use Android Auto with Google Maps in our RV (no Tesla-based RVs - yet). It provides information about upcoming traffic issues, potential speed traps, etc. - all integrated into the navigation system. While you can manually get that information from Waze - it's not integrated - plus when a traffic slow down is ahead, the Tesla navigation system doesn't provide options for getting around the obstruction - it'll just change the route automatically, without providing any warning or information about the impact of the change.

Tesla navigation has a number of positive - huge display with satellite maps and integration with Tesla's vehicle and AP/FSD software. But it could use more features - which were promised long ago by Musk, and still not delivered...

I agree that some of the features described would be helpful but I continue to be impressed with how up to date the nav data is and how well the voice commands work to input requests, making it very much "hands free". It does not seem to matter if I say "drive to Mexican food", or "drive to sewing machine repair", it finds it and routes to it, providing multiple selections. This is the only car I have owned that voice command is one of my most used features whether it be for nav, or to change climate, it just works!

Google Maps appears to use more up-to-date road data than the Tesla navigation, when tracking road changes.

When taking our RV into storage (no Tesla-based RVs yet...), we would drive our S or X along with the RV to/from storage on the same route. The best route is using a road that was opened sometime in the past year. The RV (using Android Auto/Google Maps) correctly used the new road every time. For 6 months, up until recently, the Tesla navigation wouldn't use that road (evidently it wasn't aware the road was open) and routed us around that road - even though the Tesla map showed the road was there.

When Tesla shifted routing calculations to their server, this was supposed to fix this problem - since Tesla only had to keep their server up-to-date on road changes, and not push those changes to every vehicle. And that hasn't happened. Clearly the Tesla routing server maps aren't updating very often (while Google Maps appears to detect new road changes with a day or two).

In the long run, with FSD relying on the server routing, Tesla will need to fix the map update issue, so the FSD software is using up-to-date maps for routing.

Tesla has the same problem with speed limits - taking months to years (in some cases) to update the speed limit database. Since that data base is used to automatically change speeds - when it's wrong, it can result in rapid braking on highways, especially in areas of recent construction.

Tesla has had these issues for a long time - and still hasn't invested the effort to address the shortfall in features or in keeping their maps up-to-date.

While there are advantages of having Tesla "rolling their own" navigation system - the disadvantage is that Tesla resources are required to make any changes or improvements, and at least for the navigation system, it doesn't appear they are investing many resources to make improvements.

While I see frequent updates in the Google maps data and Google Maps/Android Auto apps...

I agree the Tesla navigation system works pretty well - but they can do better...