Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system/speed trap/accident warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

Awaiting a delivery date of my mx, but wondered if the google maps system used updates the speeds traps/mobile cameras and accidents as waze does?

Been using waze on my phone for a few years now along side my BMW sat nav and have to say waze is brilliant as it is updated real time.

My opinion on the Tesla system is poor I'm afraid, the live traffic presentation in particular isn't in the same league as BMW or Waze sadly.

But that and the auto wipers are the only irritants, the rest of the Model 3 is sublime.

Wasn't there some change in the law in France a while ago to force nav systems to not include speed camera locations? I seem to remember people on another car forum complaining that they had updated their nav maps only to find that all the speed camera locations had been removed, as the manufacturer had applied the French law to their entire Western Europe map database.

Maybe Tesla are doing much the same, for simplicity, just to comply with French law.

I use my phone for music/podcasts and so can have Waze running in alert mode in the background too (if I want the in-car nav running) and it will break into the audio with “Police/accident/speed camera reported ahead”, “entering average speed check zone” etc

I use my phone for music/podcasts and so can have Waze running in alert mode in the background too (if I want the in-car nav running) and it will break into the audio with “Police/accident/speed camera reported ahead”, “entering average speed check zone” etc
Exactly what I do.

@NorfolkMustard - yes but I'm a sports fanatic so its generally talksports or 5 live for me on the radio. Unfortunately waze doesn't interrupt the radio the same way as it does spotify/pod casts
Use tunein on phone and Waze will interrupt. Especially with “pause spoken audio” toggle if using phone for audio rather than the cars app.

55A6D78E-BEDA-4C30-A82B-D97574798C6A.jpeg

Tunein and Waze are also connected, so can control Tunein via Waze app.

975337D3-CF6E-48C2-8378-D95D20585CDB.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
@NorfolkMustard - yes but I'm a sports fanatic so its generally talksports or 5 live for me on the radio. Unfortunately waze doesn't interrupt the radio the same way as it does spotify/pod casts

Is there no air vent on the X to hold a phone? I test drove it so long a ago now I cant remember?
Yeah the X does have air vents:

Screenshot-4.png

You could use one of those magnetic phone holders, would probably fit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOSH-Magne.../B01N8W7IJB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=B00JQP9W5EZI

I have the above ones in my ICE car at the moment, they work great. Soon to be going in the bin though as soon as my M3 arrives lol.

The lack of speed cam alerts is a pain. Yes I know we should be vigilant and slow down etc etc but some of these variable speed zones and cams hidden round corners and over the brow of a hill are tricky to contend with. Sneaky stuff. I'm considering plugging my Garmin in or running Waze in tandem as others have suggested. I'll need to hide it when we're driving down through France as they are quite hot on it there.

Reactions: MaDProFF
It doesn't use Google Maps for the traffic - it uses an open source platform: MapBox + Valhalla

It uses two different sources for traffic. The main display on the screen is Google maps with Google traffic showing the coloured lines, the maps used for navigation directions are offline and traffic data for route selection purposes is fetched (in the UK, last time I snooped it) from Inrix.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
Maybe Tesla are doing much the same, for simplicity, just to comply with French law.

But don't worry because instead Tesla has given people the ability to watxh NetFlix and YouTube (whilst drastically increasing eMMC wear on MCU2 cars) so all is good :).

I love our car, and Musk is a genius in many ways, but he is also the ultimate confidence man. If you followed his 'autonomy' day show you would have thought v10 software was all about AP, but instead it was pushing a bunch of web based gimmicks....Despite as you point my old TomTom from 2009 had more Navigation features/options than a 2019 Tesla, and it generated new routes much much quicker.

The more I follow Tesla the more I see of this man in Musk.Is he a true genius or just a very lucky fool?? I am not sure these days.....Tesla's current v10 software can be sumed up below, and guess what its working!! There are actually people getting worked up by not having YouTube access on their MCU1s forgetting all about lack of Nav, AP, even fundamental improvements in the logging code :(.

-trump-president_trump-executive_order-diversion-diverting_attention-psrn76_low.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the eMMC problem only affected MCU1 cars and was now curtailed as logging was much reduced?

No MCU2 as well, and with larger firmware even worse though larger storage to start with, but downloading NetFlix and YouTube content will exacerbate the issue. No evidence Tesla has fixed anything despite Musk's claims.

Best part of the distraction technique is the fact 'Autonomy day' event it self was a distraction to stop the share price slide at the time, and now Netflix on a web browser is been used to distract people from the fake promises made on Autonomy day.....it all really is a house of cards.

You could even argue the previous very generous referral system was like a pymrid selling scheme, which even I took part in, but lets not think about that too much in case its true :).

Musk has achieved amazing things, but be in no doubt he knows how to manipulate and distract his target audience just as well as the best politicians. Musk, Trump, Johnson, these are people whos understanding of the word 'truth' is very different from most of us, they are all pathological liars, but to their target audience they all exhibit more charisma than Geroge Clooney in an episode of ER.

Last edited:
No MCU2 as well, and with larger firmware even worse though larger storage to start with, but downloading NetFlix and YouTube content will exacerbate the issue. No evidence Tesla has fixed anything despite Musk's claims.

eMMC is non volatile memory (similar to disk drive) and the problem is with it 'wearing out' after multiple write cycles - bit like dashcam/sentry.

No reason why firmware frequency and size would have minimal impact on eMMC usage and I very much doubt that NetFlix or YouTube would go anywhere near it.

Would like to see the reasons why you think these problems would be affecting eMMC storage. My understanding of the problem is that at one point, Tesla wrote huge quantities of logging information to eMMC which caused it to prematurely wear. I believe that the logs are far less verbose now so the problem greatly (totally?) reduced.