Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation system/speed trap/accident warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk has achieved amazing things, but be in no doubt he knows how to manipulate and distract his target audience just as well as the best politicians. Musk, Trump, Johnson, these are people whos understanding of the word 'truth' is very different from most of us, they are all pathological liars, but to their target audience they all exhibit more charisma than Geroge Clooney in an episode of ER.

Surely we can keep politics out of here! As if there isn't enough everywhere else already! :rolleyes: Please!

Last edited:
Been using waze on my phone for a few years now along side my BMW sat nav and have to say waze is brilliant as it is updated real time.

That's what I do.

Tesla SatNav for the Map, sound on Mute, Waze on phone for turn-by-turn voice. If Waze differs to Map I do as told :) and Map changes after a bit.

Ease of zoom in/out on map, and switch to fully zoomed in Satellite when at destination (e.g. unfamiliar city-centre where I am trying to find where the actual entrance to the building car park is)

Would be great not to have to use fiddly-little-phone for Waze, maybe the likes of CarPlay would solve that, but apart from the ridiculousness of spending £100K on a car and then using phone for navigation ... I'm happy with it.

I haven't tried Google Maps etc. when driving, but for me Waze alerts and traffic "awareness" are very worthwhile. Also the speed with which new roads / bypasses become active.

Would like to see the reasons why you think these problems would be affecting eMMC storage. My understanding of the problem is that at one point, Tesla wrote huge quantities of logging information to eMMC which caused it to prematurely wear. I believe that the logs are far less verbose now so the problem greatly (totally?) reduced.

You can either choose to believe an pathological liar or someone who tries to stand up for us customers, any action on the MCU - even just been on to remote access will shorten it's life, no evidence yet Tesla have changed the way the software is logging on MCU 1 or MCU 2.

Jason Hughes on Twitter

Don't confuse what am saying about Musk been a confidence man with Tesla.

I'm currently in a pre facelift 2014 85D loaner - I've forgotten just how good even the 2014 Model S is an EV. 50 miles on the M1 doing lane 3 speeds overtaking pretty much everything, consumption at the end of the trip was showing predicted range of well over 200 miles on a full charge, try matching that in an eTron/iPace/ECQ, 5 years on and the competition is still catching up!!

But the real question is why am I in another loaner, bare in mind my our car is only just over 2 years old with 30K on the clock?? And how many more loaners will I get to drive in the next 12 months??

Tesla STILL has some very real issues to be sorted and sat nav functionality is actually very low down on the list, Musk has completely lost it in the last 12 months. Hopefully Tesla is now established enough to survive without him, though to be honest been a pathological liar seems to be the in trend, look at the various world leaders, not sure anyone of them are any better than Musk when it comes to confusing the fact with fiction.

• Disagree
Reactions: Keeper
Wasn't there some change in the law in France a while ago to force nav systems to not include speed camera locations? I seem to remember people on another car forum complaining that they had updated their nav maps only to find that all the speed camera locations had been removed, as the manufacturer had applied the French law to their entire Western Europe map database.

Maybe Tesla are doing much the same, for simplicity, just to comply with French law.
In France Waze simply changes to something like 'entering speed control zone' or something like that. It then tells you when you are leaving that zone. It just doesn't provide the precise location of the speed camera.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood the topic here but you could use the in-car browser and navigate to teslawaze.azurewebsites.net . Not sure if this offers similar functionality to what you're looking for as I've never used Waze in anger before.