Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to define navigation preferences or have different routes for selection? Examples may be: fewest miles, fastest, no tolls etc. I seldom use the route offered as they are usually much longer and suggest travel only along major highways.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be any of the "normal" options even basic system had 5 years ago. It is funny that the founder of Zip2 who had one of the earliest point to point Nav systems would allow such a stripped down nav system.

My wife tends to run waze next to the big screen which I find rather annoying since it does not seem that hard to do this right.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
My 2008 Yukon XL had better NAV options than my 2016 S! Exclamation point because it really is non-sense and head shaking as to why. Sure, I would love to have Waze on the NAV screen but I end up using my phone for WAze in conjunction with the NAV. Only reason I really use the NAV is because it's there. For longer trips it's good for finding SCers etc.....But is severely lacking in up to date traffic alerts.

Is there a way to define navigation preferences or have different routes for selection? Examples may be: fewest miles, fastest, no tolls etc. I seldom use the route offered as they are usually much longer and suggest travel only along major highways.
I was just about to ask this question when I searched and found this. I have a TomTom that I have been very happy with. My old 2004 Yukon didn't have any Nav. Looks like I'll be installing my TomTom in my Tesla now. Seems kind of arcane.

Has anything changed from November of last year? I did a quick search of the manual and didn't find anything.

• Funny
My biggest gripe is the delayed voice commands... Always too late unless I am constantly checking the nav instructions visually. Funny part is, when I go back to driving with my wife and she is using Google maps I have sometimes turned one street too early because Google gives more of a heads up than Tesla's nav system. Adding multiple waypoints would also be a welcome update.

Has anything changed from November of last year? I did a quick search of the manual and didn't find anything.

Go to Controls - Settings - Apps - Navigation to find what few items Tesla let's you adjust. Some new stuff since 8.0 but still really poor compared to competitors. IIRC, you can avoid tolls, and ferries, but those are only real applicable items here. Also you can adjust route based on a minimum minutes saved.

Still lacking in "fastest vs shortest" type option. Still no avoid freeway options. But it does seem to get better slowly over time.

I agree with comments about voice prompts often being delayed though. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I'm afraid I'm going to have to install my TomTom in the Tesla. I just had the Nav do a trip from home to the St. Augustine Supercharger. It was making some questionable choice in the route, so I also did the trip on Google Maps. Google figured the trip with 7 fewer miles and 20 minutes shorter. The Tesla Nav doesn't seem to take into account county roads, which are many times the shortest route with the least traffic. It's a shame that I have to tack on this little box (the TomTom) when I have that huge screen in the car.

It just occurred to me, will the GPS satellite signals make it through that metal layer on the windshield? While Google is okay, I like the routing and directions and generally the UI better on the TomTom. But maybe I'm going to be stuck using the browser on the screen if the TomTom can't get a signal.

If you're going to go through all that hassle, you may want to consider using Waze. Unless you're that much a TomTom fan. Personally I love Waze for trips, traffic, avoiding longer routes, etc. Not sure about aftermarket GPS, but the GPS in my phone works great in the X.

If you're going to go through all that hassle, you may want to consider using Waze. Unless you're that much a TomTom fan. Personally I love Waze for trips, traffic, avoiding longer routes, etc. Not sure about aftermarket GPS, but the GPS in my phone works great in the X.
Unfortunately what I hear is that the windshield in the model X is different than in the model S. Radar detectors also work on the model X. I've heard that the browser on Teslas is not very good. Does Waze work well on it?

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Unfortunately what I hear is that the windshield in the model X is different than in the model S. Radar detectors also work on the model X. I've heard that the browser on Teslas is not very good. Does Waze work well on it?

Check this site out from your Tesla browser:
qTesla

You won't get audio prompts for waze or turn by turn directions. But some traffic incident and police visuals at least pop up. Still it isn't the full answer.

You're right the 17" browser leaves much to be desired for sure. As for the comments about gps we had a 2014 tesla Model S that lacked tech package (no navigation) and we used my wife's phone with a dash mount/cradle and the gps worked fine. I don't know about radar detectors but the navi + gps were good to go.

There is no restriction by Tesla on using Waze in their cars, which is what your statement implies.

I use Waze all the time in my Teslas because it has better real time traffic information.

My wording was unclear.
They need to allow for a native Waze app to run on the screen (App from the car replacing the current nav, or app mirroring). Not some limited web version.

Allowing apple CarPlay and the android equivalent would help and take some of the pressure off Tesla to do their own Nav app. I would rather they work on autonomous driving than navigation apps. Or they could add waze as a supported app. Tesla app store!!! Maybe 9.0 :D

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow