Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation & TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do too for the most part. Mostly to avoid speeding tickets. :)
This is another great example of how far away FSD really is...I was in a construction zone today with 60mph speeds and Model 3 was still showing me 70mph (the normal speed on this stretch of highway...which has been under construction for a year already with about another year to go). Until Teslas in FSD can read speed limit signs optically, drivers in FSD Teslas can expect to be ticketed for speeding more often (let alone the dream scenario of FSD Teslas being summoned from afar).

This is another great example of how far away FSD really is...I was in a construction zone today with 60mph speeds and Model 3 was still showing me 70mph (the normal speed on this stretch of highway...which has been under construction for a year already with about another year to go). Until Teslas in FSD can read speed limit signs optically, drivers in FSD Teslas can expect to be ticketed for speeding more often (let alone the dream scenario of FSD Teslas being summoned from afar).
FSD is probably decades away.

Wow, too many of the same car on this page. I know most places you go your Model 3 is unique, but on this page, your profile pics make it look like you guys share the same car. That's only going to get worse over time, 6 colors, no badging.

To the OP I am surprised more people have not been bitten by his issue. I get this regularly, but I travel in the same areas, so I am used to it, I know when it will happen. Keep my foot near the accelerator for when it jerks so no one hits me from behind. The only reason I have not been madly documenting it was my understanding that Tesla was giving up on Google maps and going to something that is Open Source. Since my maps STILL say "Google" next to "Tesla Navigation" in the bottom corner I assume we are not on the long-term map solution. When the Google icon goes away I'll start sending in all the areas where it thinks it's 25 MPH on the freeway for 50 yards.

I already do document areas where the speed limit is just WRONG for a long stretch, it makes me either block the road for those trying to do the limit or not use AutoPilot, and I hear it's safer to use it than not. Though I have taken to controlling the accelerator myself in those areas and let the car do the steering, warning me the entire time it cannot do braking with me stomping the gas.

-Randy

Last edited:
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here goes.

Using my TACC on the way to work, just as I come upon the Buena Vista exit on Interstate 5 in Burbank, the speed limit indicator drops from 65 mph to 25 mph and my car slows dramatically. Always at this particular spot, right next to the Ramada Inn. Anyone else seeing this problem?

I had to do a drive from Northridge to Griffith Park today and the car started slowing down quickly at this same exact spot. I recalled this thread before even looking at the TACC to see the speed. Two months later and this still isn't fixed. There must be thousands of Teslas passing this stretch every day.

There is a lot of construction going on in the area so not sure of the freeway has been rerouted. I didn't look at the GPS to see if it had been on a side road.

I had to do a drive from Northridge to Griffith Park today and the car started slowing down quickly at this same exact spot. I recalled this thread before even looking at the TACC to see the speed. Two months later and this still isn't fixed. There must be thousands of Teslas passing this stretch every day.

There is a lot of construction going on in the area so not sure of the freeway has been rerouted. I didn't look at the GPS to see if it had been on a side road.

If you stay in the leftmost (fast) lane, it doesn’t happen. This matter ought to be corrected. Tesla, Tesla, Tesla...

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here goes.

Using my TACC on the way to work, just as I come upon the Buena Vista exit on Interstate 5 in Burbank, the speed limit indicator drops from 65 mph to 25 mph and my car slows dramatically. Always at this particular spot, right next to the Ramada Inn. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Autopilot 2+ currently depends on database lookup for speed limits (AP1 uses a mix of that and sign reading. Sign reading will undoubtedly show up for your car in due time.)

Some of the data is in error, and you can help. While the 25 mph limit is displayed, hit the voice recognition, say bug report, and then a sentence or two describing the issue.

The car will take a screen shot and append it, the logs, and a transcription (and possibly audio recording, I'm not sure,) and give the whole package to Tesla's software team, who can fix it.

I actually just posted this scenario here and had it happen to me multiple times during an 800 mile road trip. It does not inspire confidence in the system. I sent in bug reports but it made me feel as if I had to hover over the accelerator especially while there were cars behind me.