Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation taking longer way...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any plans of fixing the navigation? I have no confidence in the routes provided, and therefore, don't use it at all. Why can't they use Google Maps for navigation? It clearly isn't the same since Google maps will give me a different and better route than my Tesla.
Tesla needs to provide an offline database solution like Navigon/Garmin in case we lose cell connectivity. Google maps will only let you do that on a limited basis not necessarily for the entire route. I agree, it's a terrible navigation system.

Doesn't the Navigon map work in that case?
Not for me, the poster or many of us. Whether it's out-of-date maps, Tesla's software or the operability between Tesla, Google and Navigon I don't know but you've been around here long enough to know there's a problem. Curiously it doesn't effect everyone but certainly many of us. In addition to the issues @dinkoh had, I've had it take me in circles, the opposite direction or an all surface street route about 40% of the time. The 1/2015 map update helped because it used to be a 60% failure rate.

To plot a route or display maps on the display only uses an extremely small amount of the map database.

And only a small fraction of that data changes during a year.

Tesla could load the entire Google maps database for the car's region (i.e., North America) once, and then when a routing is being done or the car is moving through an area, the software could check the online maps database, and download the tiny fraction of data that has changed.

If AP will be using the navigation system's routing, the data needs to be up-to-date.

And, if the map display was using cached map fragments (instead of downloading the map all of the time), the map display performance would be increased dramatically.

Tesla has designed a "best of class" car, unfortunately they haven't strived to have "best of class" software for the infotainment system.

Reactions: Kacey Green