Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation talking over music vs lowering music.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Quick question. In my previous cars I have owned that has navigation included, when the navigation is speaking to give directions it would either lower the volume, or mute the volume of the music that is playing. With my Model 3 the navigation seems to try to talk over the musics current volume. Is that just how the Model 3 is setup today, or is there a toggle, or setting that I need to enable to adjust this? I have asked the service centers the few times that I have brought my car in and they always tell me they will look into it, but I have yet to get an answer. So I thought that I would turn to the Model 3 community for an answer :)

Thanks for the input, most of the time I'm using the car streaming and never had the volume auto lower. I wonder if they had it set up like that at one point and something changed with the more recent updates. Just got the new update tonight so I'll be crissing my fingers that the new update made changes for the streaming and nav directions volumes.

When I first got the car last year, it lowered the music and it was easy to hear the navigation instructions. In later updates, I noticed that frequently the music was lower anymore. It almost seems to be random when it lowers. It may be that louder music lowers and softer music doesn't.

looks like no one actually answered your question so I will. Net Net, no the model 3 will not auto mute your volume like most (all?) other vehicles that have navigation. Not sure why they designed it this way but should really be fixed. Right after that, maybe they can have streaming music/podcast remember the last played location like pretty much every other car.

I really like my M3P but stuff like the above is a nuisance.

Hi Everyone,

Quick question. In my previous cars I have owned that has navigation included, when the navigation is speaking to give directions it would either lower the volume, or mute the volume of the music that is playing. With my Model 3 the navigation seems to try to talk over the musics current volume. Is that just how the Model 3 is setup today, or is there a toggle, or setting that I need to enable to adjust this? I have asked the service centers the few times that I have brought my car in and they always tell me they will look into it, but I have yet to get an answer. So I thought that I would turn to the Model 3 community for an answer :)

looks like no one actually answered your question so I will. Net Net, no the model 3 will not auto mute your volume like most (all?) other vehicles that have navigation. Not sure why they designed it this way but should really be fixed. Right after that, maybe they can have streaming music/podcast remember the last played location like pretty much every other car.

I really like my M3P but stuff like the above is a nuisance.

Thanks for the reply BooMan.

I just tried this yesterday and the streaming music volume does decrease when there are Nav directions. The catch is that your music has to be playing pretty loud. When I turned the music volume down, there was no change in the volume.