Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation talks over Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to set up the Tesla navigation system so that it turns down the radio (or pauses Music playback) when announcing directions? In my model 3, the navigation system just talks right over the audio stream making it difficult to hear the directions.

In every other car I've had, the navigation system pauses playback of audio or mutes the radio during announcements.

Is there any way to set up the Tesla navigation system so that it turns down the radio (or pauses Music playback) when announcing directions? In my model 3, the navigation system just talks right over the audio stream making it difficult to hear the directions.

In every other car I've had, the navigation system pauses playback of audio or mutes the radio during announcements.
On my wish list too. Must be able to be done in software I would think.

Reactions: brianbcc
Mine doesn't. I'm sure the volume of the audio is the same with the navigation just "talking over" the audio source.
This is a (small) pain for me too (I would prefer pause, especially when listening to podcasts), but you mention that the media and navigation are the same volume? They are definitely not the same and are two separate volumes, one for the media and one for the navigation. To change just the navigation volume, either change it while the nav prompt is happening (you will see a navigation icon instead of the music icon to verify it's changing the navigation volume), or choose the settings on the map and change it interactively in the upper right.

This is a (small) pain for me too (I would prefer pause, especially when listening to podcasts), but you mention that the media and navigation are the same volume? They are definitely not the same and are two separate volumes, one for the media and one for the navigation. To change just the navigation volume, either change it while the nav prompt is happening (you will see a navigation icon instead of the music icon to verify it's changing the navigation volume), or choose the settings on the map and change it interactively in the upper right.
Yes, I realise that I can set separate volume levels for the audio stream and navigation but what I was hoping for was automated muting of the audio stream to allow you to hear the directions like happens in every other car.

Mine doesn't. I'm sure the volume of the audio is the same with the navigation just "talking over" the audio source.

I would bet yours actually also lowers the volume. Thing is, the car wont lower the volume of the audio source when navigation speaking kicks in, unless the audio source is pretty darn loud.

Try it. Go out, turn up your sound to a level that is uncomfortably loud, turn on navigation, and drive around the block. When the next turn comes up, I bet it turns down the volume for the nav to speak over it.

I would be surprised if yours doesnt do this. Now, this doesnt actually help you, because you likely dont listen to music at a loud enough level for the car to lower the volume when nav speaks. Basically, you want the nav to lower the volume of the audio to speak over it at a lower volume level than tesla currently has it set at.

My audio volume lowers when the navi guidance speaks. But it doesn’t happen 100% of the time.

ive had 2 updates last week, so behavior may have changed. it seems hit and go.... sometimes it lowers the existing audio, sometimes it doesnt. but my audio level is kinda low.

i theorize it may do it based on the volume -- so if you set music loud, then it'll reduce the volume to play nav announcements.

either way, since both have independent volume control, i dont really feel its an issue

ive had 2 updates last week, so behavior may have changed. it seems hit and go.... sometimes it lowers the existing audio, sometimes it doesnt. but my audio level is kinda low.

i theorize it may do it based on the volume -- so if you set music loud, then it'll reduce the volume to play nav announcements.

either way, since both have independent volume control, i dont really feel its an issue

I dont drive that much right now (cause, 2020....) and have had a few updates where I have not tested this, but I mentioned it earlier. The music has to be pretty loud for the system to turn it down. For some, they likely never hear it because they dont listen to music that loud.

I am virtually certain that this is not an issue of "some peoples car are broke and some arent" regarding this feature. The car wont turn down the volume of the music / audio, unless it passes a "threshhold" to do so, and for some people, they never listen to audio that loud, so never pass this threshhold.

+1 .. this is def one of those "why is this super-high tech car so dumb about this?" issues.

Just found this thread and it is nuts that the Model 3 does not mute/reduce level of Radio etc when satnav route instructions are announced. Having separate levels for each is not a substitute. I have had this in my last 2 cars going back years which were not nearly as high tech as the Tesla.

I like how the volume wheel changes the audio stream or navigation, if the navigation is speaking... that way it never actually does the thing you want to happen when it's speaking...

me: listening to loud music.
Nav: (too low to hear) "turn right ahead"
me: (brain) (the music is too loud to hear the nav)...hand turns volume DOWN
car: turns navigation volume down because it's speaking
me: shoots car in the screen for being a pita.

Every. Freaking. Time.

lol

I like how the volume wheel changes the audio stream or navigation, if the navigation is speaking... that way it never actually does the thing you want to happen when it's speaking...

me: listening to loud music.
Nav: (too low to hear) "turn right ahead"
me: (brain) (the music is too loud to hear the nav)...hand turns volume DOWN
car: turns navigation volume down because it's speaking
me: shoots car in the screen for being a pita.

Every. Freaking. Time.

lol
Ditto 😄 , and by the time I realize what i did , it has stopped speaking and trying to turn it back up only makes the music louder