Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

navigation- Tesla navigation poor safer to use mobile phone with google maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the nav all the time, and rarely have a of problem. I'll do a quick review of the route first just to make sure it seems sane. For local roads, it sometimes chooses an odd route, but I just go the way I think I should go and it corrects itself en route. Often when it switches to "my" route, it's immediately all-around better (faster, short, less power).

For long trips, SC to SC, it's been nearly flawless. However, in those cases I check first Google maps to find the optimal route if SC stops were not involved. Then I check with both A Better Route Planner and EV Trip Planner to see how they compare to optimal. Those two sites often show different routes, both of which are worse than I can do myself. The in-car nav usually agrees with what I think is the best route.
I think most people issues with weird routes is how they have the traffic rerouting set up. If you move it from the default 10 minutes to 15 or 20, you will eliminate most of the odd routing.

you worry about an estimated arrival time? That is the killer for Tesla Nav? I thought most modern tesla Nav WAS google maps?

My prob with google maps is it often tells you to take a right/left when the turn is left/right.

over the weekend an uber driver was blindly following the voice prompts and the turn clearly showed a left turn - but the voice prompt said right turn. We both heard it. She turned right before I had a chance to point out the mistake.

I don't use Waze either because of the trailing location function which lets them track you after you are done . . even if you change the setting to 'when I use the app.' Google Maps now has the feature as well - and its hard to turn off.