Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation: Tesla needs to teach it to understand reversible express lanes on I-95 in Northern Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On I-95 in Northern Virginia there are three sets of lanes: one heading north, one heading south, and the middle set of express lanes that go north (towards Washington DC) in the morning and south in the afternoon when people are commuting in those directions. Navigation in my Model 3 does not understand these lanes. When I am on the express lanes heading south and navigating somewhere, the navigator wants me to get off at every exit and get on "real" 95 S. Occasionally when I am on "real" 95 N in the afternoon when the express lanes are heading south, it directs me to every (closed) entrance to the express lanes. It seems to treat them as if they always head north. Since I usually know where I am going and don't need the navigator, this is only a minor annoyance, but every once in a while, when I am heading south on the express lanes and don't really know my way, it is a pain.

I recognize that time-of-day shifts in highway direction don't happen everywhere, but I think Tesla should figure out a way to deal with this issue; maybe a pop-up that asks the driver which way the lanes are going. There are lots of Teslas in the area whose owners would benefit from a solution.

Reactions: qdeathstar
We have the same problem here in Seattle with reversable lanes on I-5 from mid Seattle north to Northgate. Nav doesn't recognize the reversable lanes as part of I-5, so Nav on Autopilot won't work. Nav on Autopilot also won't enter the reversible lane on the Seattle end - it has to be done manually.

Even for non-reversible express lanes, the car doesn’t know when lanes are closed (gates down) and wants to navigate into them. That’s one of the reasons I never disabled NoA lane change confirmations. I’m not sure if the car would “see” the gate down and abort the lane change, but I’m not giving it the opportunity to try.