TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigation to dropped pin/point

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by JulienW, Aug 24, 2018.

1. JulienW

JulienW Member

Can you navigate to a dropped pin or certain point? I find that just navigating to an address, location of a business or office complex doesn’t result in the best entrance/parking. Often what would be the best entrance to a parking space can be a farther away and even on another street than the address will navigate to. When going somewhere for the first time I like to look at the map (use Apple Maps but Google Maps would be equivalent) on my desktop and find the ideal point to navigate to and then drop a pin then send that to my iPhone and navigate (CarPlay) to the pin.

Here is a basic example: Going to a LA Fitness a navigation app (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Tesla) will take me around to the main entrance to the shopping center. It is much more convenient/quicker/easier to navigate to a back entrance (red line/arrow).

Does Tesla allow you to drop a pin and navigate to the spot? Can you use a desktop (or iOS/Android app) Maps app (Google Maps???) and drop a pin and send to your Tesla?

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 5.38.55 AM.png

2. dedicatedtek

dedicatedtek Member

On a Model S you can push & hold a spot on map and it will put a pin with popup option to Navigate to.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

What @dedicatedtek described is also the way it works on the model 3. Hold up your finger on the desired location and the navigation will give you the option to route you there

• Like x 2
  4. JulienW

JulienW Member

So you can 'drop a pin' by pressing and it will navigate to the point regards of any address? I guess there is no way to do this on your PC or phone ahead of time and send to the car?

In my example pic I would just press on where the point of the red arrow is and it would navigate to that point/entrance?

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Yes. You just push and hold your finger on the screen and then it will pop up a dialog and you can choose to Navigate to it. You can also put an address in your Calendar app in your phone. If you have it set in the Tesla app to share your calendar and you have your phone paired with your car, you can just click on the address in your calendar in the car and navigate to it that way.

6. JulienW

JulienW Member

Thanks push pin point sounds great.

I NEVER use addresses unless it is to a residence. Businesses' address rarely get you to the best/desired entry point (as in my example). Would be nice to drop a pint on my Mac (as I do now) but at least the Tesla screen is large and responsive. Hopefully Tesla will add a way to do this but it would probably require desktop/iOS/Android apps.

7. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Calendar feature isn't available in the Model 3 yet. Supposedly in v9.

8. bahree

bahree Member

Oh thanks for this tip. Will try it in the morning. Hadn't realized that I can do this.