Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We travel from FL to VA on the autotrain (and back again). Upon arrival, I can't use my navigation because it still thinks we are where we started. I have tried re-starting the touchscreen to no avail. Any suggestions?

Recommend shutting down the system using the power off feature. Don't touch the brake or any doors and leave the system off for approx 5 + mins. power back up by hitting brake or open door. Take a short drive and it may pop back in the correct location. If this don't work. maybe an over night deep sleep will help re set the next day.

This has nothing to do with the car. Think about how gps works. The very first time a GPS receiver is turned on, it must determine where it is ON THE PLANET! Sparing the details here, this initial determination of location can take a while. After that, each power up, the receiver first looks at where it was when it went to sleep and searches for satellites that serve that area. If located, the process of precisely determining location is pretty quick. If it wakes up bewildered because it is not in a familiar (recent) location, it must broaden its search. Not necessarily the whole planet but still wider. Park it outside, not in motion is better, and give it some time. Usually takes a few minutes. Not so different from humans, if you think about it. (this explanation is obviously simplified but technically accurate). Cheers.

Love to do the autotrain by the way. Wiz, your correct from what the OP was having a problem with. I've had the nav freeze for a couple of days on a 2017 model S. Then one morning, pulling out of the drive, it popped to the correct location. Then on a road trip on our X. Nav froze while in route. Did the two wheel reset with no success. Only with a power down and a re power did it snap where it should be. No other problem with any of the two cars after that.

i wonder if the OP has it fixed yet...

In case others read this thread, let me confirm that “Wdstockwizzard” is correct. Don’t waste time resetting anything. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they said it would recalibrate in 15-30 minutes, provided there was a clear signal to satellite. Mine recalc’d in 25 minutes. During that time I used phone navigator.