Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation updated (after 2017.50.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received & installed the 2017.50.2 update on Christmas Eve.

Then yesterday (29th Dec) I had a 'Navigation updated' message on the main screen (no new update).

Does anyone know what was added?

Presume the previous update then caused the nav to update OTA 4 days later?

I received & installed the 2017.50.2 update on Christmas Eve.

Then yesterday (29th Dec) I had a 'Navigation updated' message on the main screen (no new update).

Does anyone know what was added?

Presume the previous update then caused the nav to update OTA 4 days later?
Navigon database update. Happens about once per year. Sometimes you’ll notice subtle graphic changes on the dash screen too.

Our 2017 S 100D had the yellow touchscreen box (likely adhesive between the membrane and the display) and came back from the Service Center after Tesla replaced the touchscreen - and likely the console processor.

After the service, all settings were lost in the car - and they had loaded the latest 50.2 software - which should also have included the latest map data.

And... As far as we can tell, we're still running on the same 2 year old US maps - with the same mapping errors. The navigation software still can't route to our 3 year old house...

Since Tesla is likely going to shift to using their new navigation software, it would be surprising for them to be pushing out map updates to all cars right now - since the new software should be using different (and hopefully up-to-date) offline maps.

After the service, all settings were lost in the car - and they had loaded the latest 50.2 software - which should also have included the latest map data
Map data is always in a separate upgrade, it's never included with an OTA release. The only way you know if the map data has been updated is a popup with "Map data updated" on it. There's no install procedure the way there is on OTA releases, it's all done in the background.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and MP3Mike
If the Model 3's have the new nav software, and they're now delivering to real customers, it seems likely we'll see nav 2.0 on S/X relatively soon - and if that's the case, seems unlikely Tesla would do a fleet-wide S/X map update for a navigation system they are likely going to disable in the next few weeks/months.

Map data is always in a separate upgrade, it's never included with an OTA release. The only way you know if the map data has been updated is a popup with "Map data updated" on it. There's no install procedure the way there is on OTA releases, it's all done in the background.
Sometimes there’s no pop up either in which case you have to email Tesla and ask if you’re on the latest db version.

Reactions: jerry33