Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation voice volume very low - standard stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the navigation volume is very low even if set to maximum volume. While driving at the motorway with music turned up to 7-8 or there about it is more or less impossible to hear the navigation voice message even if the volume for nav is set to 10. The music on the front-left is turned down to very low volume, but the nav volume even at it's highest setting is very very low and not possible to hear. This seems to be a problem only for cars with the Standard Audio and my conclusion (for my car) is that the voice is directed to the wrong speaker in some way.

I had a loaner the other day with the Ultra-Hifi sound package and with this config the voice volume worked perfect and at motorway speed it was very loud and clear. I know that there are additional speakers in the dashboard with upgraded audio and it seems like Tesla is pushing nav message to one of the speakers available for Ultra-hifi and the consequences if you have standard audio where the speaker is not present will be that the volume gets very very low from the other speakers and barely possible to hear.

Anyone else with standard audio who can confirm this issue or do I have a particular error in my car? Anyone raised this concern to Tesla? Or do I need to adjust some setting that I'm not aware of? Please don't advice to raise the volume for nav, because I have turned that to max.

Thanks in advance for any input!

ps. My car is a 2017 Model S

Might just be your vehicle, mine is too loud at times and I have to turn it down. Get it checked out.

Thanks for you input! Do you also have a Model S 2017 with standard audio? I'm just trying to sort out if there could be differences between model years.

I just had my car in last week and forgot to notify them regarding this. Just don't want to book a new service time if not necessary.

I had this same issue with mine. I had the standard audio system as well. The nav voice was barely loud enough at 11 with the radio at normal levels and the windows up. With the radio loud and/or windows down, the nav was totally drowned out even at 11. I had it checked multiple times and even took a tech on a drive to show him and he agreed it was low. Tesla said it was operating normally. I also had loaners with upgraded stereo and the nav was loud enough at 6 or 7 normally and with loud radio and/or windows down was loud enough at 11. Moral of the story is nav isn't loud enough with standard audio. I believe it is a mixer setting in the audio system, since the phone is plenty loud enough at 5-6, so why can't the nav be as well.

@evster To change the navigation audio volume I have to adjust (left scroll wheel) while the voice is providing the directions.
There might be another way to do so, but this works on our 2017 S75D with standard audio.
You can change the navigation volume if it’s programmed to the scroll wheel. You can also change it directly on the main touchscreen. Just program a location in and you will see a small speaker where the directions are, click that and you can set the navigation volume.

You mention the front left speaker - is the fader set to anything BUT the default middle? I believe the nav voice comes out of primarily just that one speaker so if it was faded out nav might be quiet.

You can change the navigation volume if it’s programmed to the scroll wheel. You can also change it directly on the main touchscreen. Just program a location in and you will see a small speaker where the directions are, click that and you can set the navigation volume.
Not true.

The left scroll wheel will adjust the nav volume IF adjusted WHILE the nav voice is speaking by default.

• Informative
Reactions: shthpnz and Duffer
Thanks for you input! Do you also have a Model S 2017 with standard audio? I'm just trying to sort out if there could be differences between model years.

I just had my car in last week and forgot to notify them regarding this. Just don't want to book a new service time if not necessary.
I have a Model S Sept 2017 build with standard audio. My Nav volume at 6 is too loud. I usually keep it at 4 or 5.

Not true.

The left scroll wheel will adjust the nav volume IF adjusted WHILE the nav voice is speaking by default.
That’s what I meant, when it’s programmed, as in you have set a navigation destination. I just didn’t word it very clearly, and yes, you change it while it is speaking. You can also change it once a destination has been programmed in on the touchscreen next to where the directions are.

I had this same issue with mine. I had the standard audio system as well. The nav voice was barely loud enough at 11 with the radio at normal levels and the windows up. With the radio loud and/or windows down, the nav was totally drowned out even at 11. I had it checked multiple times and even took a tech on a drive to show him and he agreed it was low. Tesla said it was operating normally. I also had loaners with upgraded stereo and the nav was loud enough at 6 or 7 normally and with loud radio and/or windows down was loud enough at 11. Moral of the story is nav isn't loud enough with standard audio. I believe it is a mixer setting in the audio system, since the phone is plenty loud enough at 5-6, so why can't the nav be as well.

THIS!

I'm curious about all other comments. Because what is described here is how it is for all cars with standard stereo vs. the ones with upgrades. I've now had the possibility to verify with 4 different cars.

There is a bug in the software and I'm amazed that there are so few reports about this in here. Or maybe it is because people mute the navigation voice anyway?

THIS!

I'm curious about all other comments. Because what is described here is how it is for all cars with standard stereo vs. the ones with upgrades. I've now had the possibility to verify with 4 different cars.

There is a bug in the software and I'm amazed that there are so few reports about this in here. Or maybe it is because people mute the navigation voice anyway?

I don't know why there aren't more complaints about this either. I totally believe this is just a bug in the mixer settings somewhere in the audio system software. Even thought the tech agreed with me, it never went anywhere. Maybe it will be addressed someday.

Mar 2017 (EU), seems to be fine (maybe even bit too loud). Have you tried the navi loudness setting (cogwheel on top of navi instructions panel)? But I haven't played with it so no clue if it's absolute or relative to media audio.

No problems on my X with the 'enhanced stereo'; should be the same as the S. Competes well with the iPhone google maps nav (they cut each other off in bluetooth... :D ). Never had a volume issue, and, as usual, adjust when she's speaking. Fader is about in the middle/center, if that matters.

Old thread, but this problem is still the same in my car and all other Model S with standard audio system. Those who got the upgraded audio does not have the problem, I've tested 2 cars and none of those had the problem and the voice was loud and clear even at lower voice volume. I still have the old navigation here in Europe, so hope that there will be a fix to this issue with the new nav where there is supposed to be a new nav voice as well.

Regarding suggestions of volume for Nav-voice I'm fully aware of how to change. My Nav voice is set at 11 which is maximum, but it is still barely noticeable at motorway speed if I at the same time got music on volume 7. The fade down of music is simply too weak.

I'm very surprised that there still are not people who report the same issue since it has been confirmed by my local Tesla rep to be a software issue. This should apply to Model S cars with standard audio.