Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation without Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I traded in my M3 for the MY, I only had standard connectivity and the navigation would definitely present re-routing options when using navigation. You just don't get the traffic visualizations.
I too can confirm this was the behavior of my son's M3. He did not renew his Premium trial but still routed around traffic.
He lost satellite view, colored roads and theater and other entertainment functions with out it.
He has since renewed as he felt the satellite and colored roads was worth it.

Reactions: macanjr
I too can confirm this was the behavior of my son's M3. He did not renew his Premium trial but still routed around traffic.
He lost satellite view, colored roads and theater and other entertainment functions with out it.
He has since renewed as he felt the satellite and colored roads was worth it.

Do you know if navigation will reroute for road closures? I looked yesterday with I-70 closed near Glenwood, and it didn’t seem like it was offering a re-route. Thanks!

Do you know if navigation will reroute for road closures? I looked yesterday with I-70 closed near Glenwood, and it didn’t seem like it was offering a re-route. Thanks!
I dont know. I dont think it was doing it in my MY with premium right now. I am going to Grand Junction tonight, and tried it from my car and website Tesla travel planner and it only takes me to Silverthorn instead of through Montrose like I would think it should have done.

I dont know. I dont think it was doing it in my MY with premium right now. I am going to Grand Junction tonight, and tried it from my car and website Tesla travel planner and it only takes me to Silverthorn instead of through Montrose like I would think it should have done.

Do you know if you can manually do a reroute? I’ve tried with our M Y and can’t figure out anything.

You can navigate directly to Montrose. Once you reach there, you navigate to Grand Junction. This is a bit less automatic, but not really difficult.

I often use Google Maps on my phone, because it usually offers two good alternative routes. There are a few little tricks:
  1. Silence the Tesla navigation. Tap the sprocket icon in the nav window and mute the sound.
  2. Have your phone connected through Bluetooth, so you hear its directions from the car's speakers.
  3. Open the "Energy" window or any other and leave it open, so you do not inadvertently follow the main screen map route. This forces you to look at the phone to see where you should be going.
  4. As soon as the car's navigation system picks up your route and shows the same as the phone, unmute it, close the energy window, stop or mute the phone navigation, and navigate normally.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
You can navigate directly to Montrose. Once you reach there, you navigate to Grand Junction. This is a bit less automatic, but not really difficult.

I often use Google Maps on my phone, because it usually offers two good alternative routes. There are a few little tricks:
  1. Silence the Tesla navigation. Tap the sprocket icon in the nav window and mute the sound.
  2. Have your phone connected through Bluetooth, so you hear its directions from the car's speakers.
  3. Open the "Energy" window or any other and leave it open, so you do not inadvertently follow the main screen map route. This forces you to look at the phone to see where you should be going.
  4. As soon as the car's navigation system picks up your route and shows the same as the phone, unmute it, close the energy window, stop or mute the phone navigation, and navigate normally.

Thanks! How did the trip go?

Thanks! How did the trip go?
The trip was pretty good. The car did great.
We went from Colorado Springs to Salida, to Grand Junction.
We plugged in direct to Supercharger in Poncha Springs (just out side of Salida) and got there no problem. Charged for 15ish minutes and headed off to Grand Junction. Up and over Monarch pass, we ended up with 30% left when we got to Grand Junction. Our hotel had a destination charger, so free power all weekend.

The trip home was a bit more challenging. We did the same return route, but after charging in Salida, I decided to ignore Elon and the suggested navigational route and head up to Highway 24 through Woodland park into Colorado Springs. I've done that road trip a thousdand times skiing, so I wanted to see how the MY handled it. As soon as we were about to get off at Highway 24 a road sign stated the highway was closed at Divide due to a fatal accident. (Tesla knew this, and I ignored it).

Decided that instead of turning around, we would just head north to Denver and SC there, then back home. It would have added another hour to the trip, so not so bad. After sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour on 285, we finally got into Denver with 16% left. Lower than I wanted but range anxiety was pretty low for my first road trip. My internal voice was saying no less than 25%, so 17% was close enough. Charged up to 55% in Denver and got home with 31% left.

Moral of the story......Trust the navigational computer. I had it set to reroute if it saves 5 minutes. Should have listened. What should have been a 6 1/2 hour trip ended up being closer to 8 hours. But I was behind the wheel of a FSD Tesla, so it was actually pretty nice.

The trip was pretty good. The car did great.
We went from Colorado Springs to Salida, to Grand Junction.
We plugged in direct to Supercharger in Poncha Springs (just out side of Salida) and got there no problem. Charged for 15ish minutes and headed off to Grand Junction. Up and over Monarch pass, we ended up with 30% left when we got to Grand Junction. Our hotel had a destination charger, so free power all weekend.

The trip home was a bit more challenging. We did the same return route, but after charging in Salida, I decided to ignore Elon and the suggested navigational route and head up to Highway 24 through Woodland park into Colorado Springs. I've done that road trip a thousdand times skiing, so I wanted to see how the MY handled it. As soon as we were about to get off at Highway 24 a road sign stated the highway was closed at Divide due to a fatal accident. (Tesla knew this, and I ignored it).

Decided that instead of turning around, we would just head north to Denver and SC there, then back home. It would have added another hour to the trip, so not so bad. After sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour on 285, we finally got into Denver with 16% left. Lower than I wanted but range anxiety was pretty low for my first road trip. My internal voice was saying no less than 25%, so 17% was close enough. Charged up to 55% in Denver and got home with 31% left.

Moral of the story......Trust the navigational computer. I had it set to reroute if it saves 5 minutes. Should have listened. What should have been a 6 1/2 hour trip ended up being closer to 8 hours. But I was behind the wheel of a FSD Tesla, so it was actually pretty nice.

Sounds like a nice trip!