Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation without Tech package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not order the Tech package on my 85kw, Blue MS. When I looked at a MS at the Raleigh service center the mgr told me my car's screen would show maps and would "track" my location while I am driving but would not have the capability of navigating me to a destination and would not show any other navigation features such as distance to destination. First question - Is my understanding of what the service mgr told me correct? Second question - If I am correct, is it safe to assume that full navigation capabilities would be a software upgrade only? Third question - Has anyone heard about such "a la cart" upgrades ever being available?

I did not order the Tech pkg with my 85kw, Blue MS. When I saw a MS at the Raleigh service center, the mgr told me that my MS' screen would show maps and track my movement while driving but would not have any of the normal navigation functions such as directions or time to destination. Three questions: Am I correct in my understanding of what I think the service mgr told me? If so, is it safe to assume that "upgrading" to full navigation capabilities could be accomplished with a software upgrade? Has anyone heard anything about such "a la carte" upgrades becoming available?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I repeated this post but thought my earlier post a did not take:smile:

If so, is it safe to assume that "upgrading" to full navigation capabilities could be accomplished with a software upgrade? Has anyone heard anything about such "a la carte" upgrades becoming available?

Interesting idea. I can't think of any reason why Nav couldn't be added with a software update. The only issue is that it may dilute interest in the more expensive and all-inclusive Tech Package, and Tesla may not want to give up that revenue... yet.

It would likely depend upon whether the Navigon system is implemented via a vendor provided chip or simply firmware / software embedded with the rest of the car's OS.

Once they publish an API for 3rd party developers, as long as Tesla isn't as draconian as Apple, someone should be able to sell an integrated navigation package without requiring anything from Navigon, just a matter of getting current location info from the car to go along with whatever the 3rd party developer wants to use as a mapping / routing source.

Really hoping that Tesla has an "open" API and market, assuming they completely firewall all driving related functionality away from the UI fluff.