Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone else find the navigation lacking?
maybe i'm not using it correctly, but how can i have local places like parking garage, or restaurants, appear on the map in the vicinity of where i'm driving or my destination (ie a parking garage in manhattan or a mcdonalds off a highway).
also, i don't think that it gives the most accurate navigation. i've used the waze app as a comparison and they give different directions most of the time (Waze being better)
why can't Tesla provide Waze instead of google maps? google owns waze anyway...

There are many, many threads with people disecting all the ways in which the navigation software isn't all we can dream of.
And especially when you compare to Waze (in many ways the leader of the pack right now), there's a ton of stuff that's just lacking.

Navigation has room for a lot of improvement. Why aren’t favorites listed either alphabetically or by miles away from current location?

Why don’t they allow waypoints?

Why, if battery isn’t sufficient for trip, does it only allow for routing via supercharger? Why not allow for options?

Why doesn’t it allow you to categorize your favorites?

One complaint I have is that the estimated time of arrival is a very hit or miss type deal. When I use Google Maps, I usually get there on time or before the estimate. I don't drive slowly by any stretch of the imagination, but I can never arrive at the stated estimated time either on the highway or driving through surface streets. The nav just continually adds minutes until I get to the destination. Drove to a wedding recently about 55 minutes away, ended up taking about 1:10 - 1:20 min. Even on shorter 20 min trips on the freeway without traffic, it's still usually about 5 min behind. Minor annoyance, but still odd nonetheless.

Last weekend I made a trip from home in the Seattle Metro area to Vancouver BC. While in Vancouver, the NAV was behaving very bad. Several times it would change the route just as I was about to make a turn, twice when I was trapped in a turn only lane. When I went to return home I selected the Burlington SC from the Places->SuperCharger menu and it kept trying to route me to the Squamish SC north of Vancouver, way out of my way and I had plenty of charge to make Burlington with a 50 mile reserve. I finally selected my Home as the destination and it then automatically selected the Burlington SC. I was not using the Trip Planning, just plain NAV routing.

A few days earlier in Seattle it kept routing me into West Seattle when I had a clear route to a downtown location.

Since 6.2 it has become almost non usable.

Anyone else having problems?

Last weekend I made a trip from home in the Seattle Metro area to Vancouver BC. While in Vancouver, the NAV was behaving very bad. Several times it would change the route just as I was about to make a turn, twice when I was trapped in a turn only lane. When I went to return home I selected the Burlington SC from the Places->SuperCharger menu and it kept trying to route me to the Squamish SC north of Vancouver, way out of my way and I had plenty of charge to make Burlington with a 50 mile reserve. I finally selected my Home as the destination and it then automatically selected the Burlington SC. I was not using the Trip Planning, just plain NAV routing.

A few days earlier in Seattle it kept routing me into West Seattle when I had a clear route to a downtown location.

I encountered all sorts of issues with the nav after the 6.2 upgrade. For example, we were recently in Urbandale Iowa (charged overnight at the Urbandale Hy-Vee) and I told the nav to go to the Albert Lea MN supercharger which is almost due north of Urbandale. But the nav system kept insisting on routing through Worthington MN and then backtracking east to Albert Lea. I eventually convinced the nav system to take the direct route to downtown Albert Lea MN and then changed the destination to the supercharger once we got within about 50 miles of it. I had to use this sort of trick of telling the nav system to go somewhere other than the final destination to have it take the desired route and then changing to the real destination along the way multiple times. But it was still better than not having a built-in nav system. They could fix this by simply presenting multiple potential routes and allowing the user to select the desired route like you can in google maps.

Yes, this is a huge step backwards. Maybe the Tesla engineers should get out of CA and test it where there isn't an SC every 5 feet.

Had these problems this weekend driving from Wenatchee, WA to Seattle. I've made the trip numerous times before (prior to 6.2) and with a normal 85% charge, I can make it home with 40+ rated miles left. Nav decided that I just had to go to Ellensburg (the opposite direction). What's worse, there seemed to be no way to stop it from doing that. I'd completely exit nav mode and upon reentering, it would still point me to Ellensburg. Now, I don't really need help 'cause I could do the drive in my sleep but I often use nav to figure out the best way to get back to the main road or freeway. Now, I don't even trust it to get me started in the right direction.