Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NC Commissioner restrictions on Tesla Charlotte

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Folks, sadly NC continues to put up roadblocks and hurdles to Tesla and their way of doing business. Already we had the issue that Tesla Charlotte being unable actually sell cars. You could check out a car in the showroom, take a drive in one in a lifestyle/showcase experience, and work with either Tesla Raleigh or the Tesla Corporate (via the website) to order your car. You could then have it delivered at Tesla Charlotte after Tesla Corporate or Raleigh and you finish the necessary details, so Charlotte provided some good logistics for those of us in the area.

Sadly, the NC Commissioner feels that a gallery/showroom should not provide test drives/rides and as of 5 pm Friday, October 6th, Tesla Charlotte is no longer permitted to have people drive their cars at their location. Such a shame that NC continues to be so hostile to the consumers and voters in Charlotte (and surrounding areas) about their vehicle of choice.

More details are available at Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts

Additional info also available at:
Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts Specific Post 1
Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts Specific Post 2

This is disturbing on many levels... but the fact that the Democrats are now attacking Tesla is not a happy development.

I found it strange that under McCrory (a Republican) Tesla was allowed to sell, but now the Democrats took over (Gov. Cooper and Torre Jessup the DMV Commisioner that signed off on this) we have this development...

It's usually not a democrat or republican thing, it's the auto dealer cartel funding whoever is in power thing. For example the Texas law protecting auto dealers, which they proudly describe as bulletproof and a model for other states, was passed when Democrats ran the state.

• Informative
Reactions: gonzo
So, then it is safe to assume that the Reublicans in NC are not controlled in by the dealer lobby, but the Dems are??
It might not be quite that simple. If my information source is correct, Jessup has relatives in auto retailing and his political mentors seem also to have direct dealer connections. My guess is that this does, as such things tend to do, devolve to personal political connections.
It's usually not a democrat or republican thing, it's the auto dealer cartel funding whoever is in power thing. For example the Texas law protecting auto dealers, which they proudly describe as bulletproof and a model for other states, was passed when Democrats ran the state.
TexasEV is particularly well suited to make such observations since Texas auto dealers have pretty large power. despite that the last republican platform included a bill favorable to Tesla but it did not pass. Possibly the following might have something to do with that:
"U.S. Rep. Roger Williams of Weatherford and former Republican national committeeman Bill Crocker of Austin – that they remove the call for direct car sales. Williams is a car dealer, and Crocker is a lawyer who represents car dealers.

For decades, the dealers’ lobby group and its allies have flecked off unwelcome bills like so much dandruff. There’s at least one dealer, if not more, in every lawmaker’s district, making them a powerful lot.

Last summer, Gov. Greg Abbott told Bloomberg Radio that the state has “a very effective automobile sector that seems like it’s working quite well.”

When cars break down, they need repair, the Republican governor noted. Abbott questioned the ability of Tesla, maker of a niche product, to provide that service. Tesla wants to have regional service centers, saying its cars rarely break down."
Texas auto dealers receive Tesla-sized dent from state GOP | Politics | Dallas News

I include this quote to further demonstrate that this issue is distinctly NOT partisan in any conventional sense.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Pollux
wth does Abbott have to do with NC? Especially when the entire conversation is focused on NC.
If you are attempting to defend either party, there is no need, I like both the same (as in not at all). But your quote implies the party in power is usually pro-auto-dealer lobby, and I pointed out that under Repubs we finally got 2 show rooms working in the state, under Dems we lost one of the show rooms!

wth does Abbott have to do with NC? Especially when the entire conversation is focused on NC.
Only that the question of partisan response came up because the new NC transportation guru is a Democrat. Without question auto dealer influence is not partisan but is issue based.

The only thing that can help is a really large public outcry, and NC Tesla owners, NC hoteliers/restaurant owners who have destination Chargers etc can manage to generate better responses. For that reason I think it is relevant to understand what has and has not worked elsewhere.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I do think there is a chance to reverse this decision in NC. It's perhaps more difficult because of the recent state-level rancid situation.

Folks, sadly NC continues to put up roadblocks and hurdles to Tesla and their way of doing business. Already we had the issue that Tesla Charlotte being unable actually sell cars. You could check out a car in the showroom, take a drive in one in a lifestyle/showcase experience, and work with either Tesla Raleigh or the Tesla Corporate (via the website) to order your car. You could then have it delivered at Tesla Charlotte after Tesla Corporate or Raleigh and you finish the necessary details, so Charlotte provided some good logistics for those of us in the area.

Sadly, the NC Commissioner feels that a gallery/showroom should not provide test drives/rides and as of 5 pm Friday, October 6th, Tesla Charlotte is no longer permitted to have people drive their cars at their location. Such a shame that NC continues to be so hostile to the consumers and voters in Charlotte (and surrounding areas) about their vehicle of choice.

More details are available at Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts

Additional info also available at:
Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts Specific Post 1
Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts Specific Post 2

I wonder what Rick Hendrick had to do with this? He only owns like most of the Dealership in Charlotte.

Reactions: Drucifer and X Fan
1. Perhaps Tesla would like to organize weekend events in perpetuity at Tesla Charlotte, so that local owners show up and offer test drives to prospective owners.

With ample opportunities and education with regard to whom to write/tweet/call concerning this disgrace, of course.

2. For those who see politics behind every tree, efforts could be made to primary offending legislators out of office.

3. For those who dislike lobbyists and lobbies, perhaps some investigative journalism is in order.

4. For those who simply appreciate the growing delta/chasm/gap between Tesla EVs and the rest of the pack (illuminated particularly by the Bolt, which is almost completely useless in any non-local context), see #1.

Attempted to read the article but no access. Is NC giving a valid reason for this decision? It's a sad day for NC. And to think the reason they went to the OBD inspection early 2000 was to clean up their act. Cross the road right into SC and there is NO inspection required. Someone should point that out to get NC back in line with their neighbors.

Attempted to read the article but no access. Is NC giving a valid reason for this decision? It's a sad day for NC. And to think the reason they went to the OBD inspection early 2000 was to clean up their act. Cross the road right into SC and there is NO inspection required. Someone should point that out to get NC back in line with their neighbors.

The local dealers were successful in getting Tesla Charlotte's application for a dealership license rejected, so Tesla Charlotte is service center + gallery, unable to sell cars. When you wanted to buy a car, they would put you in touch with Tesla Raleigh or Tesla Corporate to purchase the car and when your car was ready, you again would work with Tesla Raleigh or Corporate to complete your paperwork, but could pick up your car at the Charlotte location.

This has been the case for the past two years Tesla Charlotte has been operating. What changed is now the NC DMV Commissioner ruled that a gallery should not be permitted to offer Tesla lifestyle experience drives/rides, and that should only be done by a licensed dealership. As such, Tesla Charlotte can no longer invite the public to try out any of the cars on-site.

• Informative
Apple watch arrived today, which I bought directly from... Apple. Why must a car be purchased from a dealer and not the mfg?

One choice in business is whether you pursue a channel sales model, or a direct sales model (or, often ill-fated, both). Why would one business segment continue to have the opportunity to legally restrict competition? This is not a partisan issue, it is one of errant protectionism and self-interest.

Reactions: Enginerd and gonzo
Why would one business segment continue to have the opportunity to legally restrict competition? T.
Because the masses are scared of change and know their livelihood is threatened once consumers know there's a better way of buying a car. Short story. Back in the early 2000, an Oldsmobile Alero caught my attention. I was station in Puerto Rico. I purchased the car through what was then gm buy power . com. Wife at the time flew up to a dealer in Florida and picked up the car, drove to sea star line and had it shipped down. I just remember the amazing part of buying a car in this manner, no dealer harassment. Because this was new at the time and all was worked on line there was little to no dealer involvement.

• Informative