Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NC State Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 will have its first state (security) inspection soon. Any good place to recommend for the state inspection around Cary/Raleigh?

NC SC doesn't do state inspection. I am afraid a random place may just screw my car. Many people here don't even know how to open the door.

Many thanks!

Wait What state inspection? I'm taking my Model 3 delivery on Sunday from Raleigh. Is there anything that I'd need to do after delivery?

For new cars, I don't think so. When I got mine (Raleigh DC) the registration and everything went through.. Normally I you need inspection (like a year from registration) you can't renew your plates until the inspection is done..

Is this emissions? You say "security" if not emissions what is security? Is that sorta like an old style safety inspection? If so then you have to have this AND an emissions inspection for an ICE?
I should have said safety inspection. My car is about one year old now. It needs to pass safety inspection to get the registration renewal.

Nothing, no inspection needed in NC when you buy a new car.

So funny story.

You do need an inspection in NC when you buy a new car.

By law, the dealer is supposed to do this before you take ownership of it, so you don't even noticed it happened.

Tesla didn't in my case, and I ended up a couple weeks later when they noticed having to drive over to the Snappy Lube previously mentioned off 540 to get it inspected so I could actually get "real" plates.... (the snappy lube guy even mentioned this was illegal and suggested I report it as I apparently wasn't the first emergency customer they were asked to handle for Tesla in Raleigh)

That was actually the 2nd illegal thing they did during delivery... (the other was the monroney sticker wasn't attached to the car- which is not only a federal crime it's a $1000 per car fine, and from what I could tell 100% of cars they were delivering that weekend came that way)

I didn't report either, as I don't want the folks holding my new car warranty going broke, but I do tell everyone buying one now to check if the inspection actually got done, because I ended up not getting my real plates until the day my temp tags were expiring due to them screwing this particular thing up and delaying all the paperwork.

Reactions: nogajim
That was actually the 2nd illegal thing they did during delivery... (the other was the monroney sticker wasn't attached to the car- which is not only a federal crime it's a $1000 per car fine, and from what I could tell 100% of cars they were delivering that weekend came that way)

My sticker was given to me in a folder along with copies of the papers I signed. I can understand the need for this on a car in a typical dealer’s lot so you can compare before buying the car. For a car you have already purchased, what difference does this make?

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
My sticker was given to me in a folder along with copies of the papers I signed. I can understand the need for this on a car in a typical dealer’s lot so you can compare before buying the car. For a car you have already purchased, what difference does this make?

Only difference is one is a violation of federal law carrying a $1000 per car fine and one isn't.

Nobody seems to enforce said law though since Tesla appears to continue doing it on virtually every car they deliver far as I can tell.

Presumably the reason the law originally said it was illegal for anybody but the new owner to remove it from the vehicle window though is to prevent a shady dealer from making you think you got something other than what you paid for.

Reactions: jdcollins5