TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NE destination overnight charging stations

Discussion in 'New England' started by RDoc, Nov 30, 2012.

1. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Any thoughts on how to encourage hotels, municipalities, parking lots, etc. to install charging stations for overnight use? I'm thinking about level 2 chargers, probably J1772 connectors, likely only 30A, but if you're going to spend the day or stay overnight, 6 - 10 hours at 6 kw is well worth doing. Currently a lot of charging stations seem concentrated in the big metropolitan areas, but if you're on vacation or even staying somewhere overnight, it's likely you'll be away from them.

I've written to the parking authority in Provincetown since we go there a few times per year, no reply so far. The Cape in general seems like a bit of a desert for charging.

Lennox (Tanglewood) would be another candidate town I'd think.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I've written to several inns/destinations, with limited success. The one weakly positive reply I had was from the Chatham Bars Inn out on the Cape. Perhaps if more people wrote, we can tip their thinking over the edge.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Kevin.Sharpe at Zero Carbon World will have some insight on the best way to do this. He has lots of experience. I would also check in with Michael Sexton at the NY Tesla store. He was instrumental in getting the first two 70A chargers we have in New England - The Omni in New Haven and Colonnade in Boston.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I finally got a reply from the parking people in P'town and it sounds like they are in the planning stages for a charging station there. No dates or promises, but at least it's on their radar.

5. Robert.Boston

That's good news. Would letters supporting installation be helpful, do you think?

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I wanted to resurrect this thread in view of the somewhat unsettled state of the Supercharger roll out in New England.

Does anyone know if the Massachusetts Electric Vehicle Incentive Program or the new initiative of several east coast states and California is going anywhere and if there would be some way for Tesla enthusiasts to encourage more chargers at overnight destinations through those programs? The MassEVIP seems like it's just to get municipalities to buy EV's which I'm pretty doubtful about, e.g. Cambridge looked at it and decided to not use it. I haven't heard anything else about it beyond press releases.

The multi-state program seems like it's not really gotten off the ground yet, I don't think it even has a name and I've not heard anything about what Massachusetts might do as part of it.

In any event, it seems like there's going to have to be state and local encouragement for more charging stations since the business case for someplace like an inn or B&B seems pretty shaky to me, and I suspect, to them as well.

7. john01

john01 Member

RDoc, please let me know who you talked with. I've spoken to two selectmen, with no success.

8. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Same here!!! The more people that call the better!

Aaron

9. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It seems the Provincetown April 6 Town Meeting approved $35K for 4 chargers in the Main Parking Lot and a town electric vehicle in conjunction with the Mass electric vehicle charging program grants. No word on when they will be operational, but I assume they'll try to get them in place by summer.

Unfortunately that doesn't help us this Tuesday when we're going out there. We can just use the Bourne Supercharger both ways or maybe stay at the Lands End Inn, but we prefer to be in the town center.

10. hj-45

hj-45 Member

The Port Inn Portsmouth - New Hampshire - United States

Just added two Tesla destination chargers and one J1772. Located off the Portsmouth circle first traffic light past the Chevrolet dealer on Route 1 South. The owner is a big fan and has hosted Tesla test drives in the past. As of this morning, it was not listed in the car's database, but it just went online this week.

11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Has anyone been out to P'Town recently and seen any evidence of EV Chargers? They were supposed to install 4 in the public lot(s), but I haven't heard anything since May and there's nothing on plugshare

12. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I was their today, there are (2) Tesla HPWC's, on 50A breakers, delivering 40A each. The J-1772 is a 40A Clipper Creek (32A):

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13. linkster

linkster Member

Wow! Super clean/precision/pride install.

14. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I'm visiting family up on Grand Isle, VT. We are staying at the North Hero House on North Hero Island and they have a 110v available for EVs. I spoke to the manager in advance and they welcome people staying here to use the plug. I will encourage a higher-output option, and encourage them putting the plug on PlugShare as well.

The inn is ok. Far from fancy, and in need of an update. However, the food is good, the staff nice, and lots to do on the island.

15. linkster

linkster Member

If it's a dedicated 5-20 receptacle and you have your Tesla 5-20 UMC adapter, you can achieve approximately 125 miles/day.

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We were just in Lenox for Tanglewood and stayed at the Hampton Terrace B&B. The owner is a big EV fan and let us use an outdoor extension cord that gave us about 3 mph charging. The inn itself is really very nice, great porches, common areas, OK breakfast, great bed, wonderful staff. The overnight charging was more than enough for local driving up to the Clark museum and Mt Graylock. After using the W Springfield Supercharger on the way out, we were easily able to drive home to the N. Shore with over 30% left.

BTW, IMHO Andris Nelsons is a conductor to watch, he's really fantastic.

17. Mike_Schlechter

Anyone have experience at the Centennial in Concord, NH?

I have a wedding up there in November and called to make a reservation, and the man on the phone was just plain horrible. For the money I'm about to spend housing four people in that hotel for two nights I was considerably put off. However, it may just be a grumpy guy on a Sunday night.

Would love feedback, if any, from the community.

18. Robert.Boston

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay there a couple of years ago (my son had a cross-country meet at St. Paul's on Saturday and a debate there on Sunday). Rooms were well appointed, and we enjoyed the bar and restaurant as well.

A cheaper stay would be the Courtyard by Marriott at 70 Constitution Ave, which has two J1772s (30A) that I've used on several occasions. It's exactly what you'd expect at a Courtyard.

19. Mike_Schlechter

Thanks for the info. I really try and stay at small-owner hotels whenever possible, so will give the Centennial a shot. I was just amazed at the rudeness of the guy on the phone.