Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near accident recorded via TeslaCam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear nothing happened. Did she see the car and stop on her own or did the car stop or alert her?

I asked and she couldn't remember whether she got an alert or not. I have to wonder if she did though...because I was quite surprised she noticed the vehicle in that situation. I'm not sure I would have noticed the car...it was moving pretty fast and this was early morning.

Wow and your wife's direction of traffic had the green light for quite some time, looks like over 7 seconds. Clearly one of those drivers who sees a gap and doesn't care if it's red on her side and floors it. Have to say hope she saw your wife at the last minute (at least her headlights) and had her heart racing at how close she came to being struck in the driver's side door and maybe learned a value lesson from it. Also hope the lady doesn't have her kids in the car when she drives like this. Still man she was traveling and so glad your wife wasn't part of some unavoidable accident. She could have easily been going a little faster and gotten hit from the side. Thanks for sharing the video.

@JohnSnowNW hope you don't mind my grabbing a screen shot from the video. I was shocked to see how close a call this was for your wife. For those that don't watch videos, this is how close the redlight runner came to getting hit in the less than a second she blew through her red light. :eek:

redlightdriver_closecall - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Wow and your wife's direction of traffic had the green light for quite some time, looks like over 7 seconds. Clearly one of those drivers who sees a gap and doesn't care if it's red on her side and floors it. Have to say hope she saw your wife at the last minute (at least her headlights) and had her heart racing at how close she came to being struck in the driver's side door and maybe learned a value lesson from it. Also hope the lady doesn't have her kids in the car when she drives like this. Still man she was traveling and so glad your wife wasn't part of some unavoidable accident. She could have easily been going a little faster and gotten hit from the side. Thanks for sharing the video.

@JohnSnowNW hope you don't mind my grabbing a screen shot from the video. I was shocked to see how close a call this was for your wife. For those that don't watch videos, this is how close the redlight runner came to getting hit in the less than a second she blew through her red light. :eek:

View attachment 406387

Exactly. When my wife called me to let me know what happened I assumed she had been at a stop and someone just ran through after the light changed (she was a bit anxious and didn't exactly explain the incident in detail). What strikes me is that there is no way the other driver didn't see the van that passed through the intersection right before my wife. It really seems they intentionally ran the light rather than made a mistake.

Honestly, I feel absolutely naked driving a vehicle without a dashcam...I'm extremely thankful that Tesla now has a built in option.

Exactly. When my wife called me to let me know what happened I assumed she had been at a stop and someone just ran through after the light changed (she was a bit anxious and didn't exactly explain the incident in detail). What strikes me is that there is no way the other driver didn't see the van that passed through the intersection right before my wife. It really seems they intentionally ran the light rather than made a mistake.

Honestly, I feel absolutely naked driving a vehicle without a dashcam...I'm extremely thankful that Tesla now has a built in option.
I think it's more likely a case of distracted driving. That's a helleva chance to take, running that light on purpose.

Nuts! Having said that, that corner is open, so a redlight runner can actually see around the corner a bit before they get to the intersection. Thank goodness your wife was driving quite slowly. Also, it's a one-way street they're passing, so they know they only need to look the one-way, and with the open corner, whatever... they're nuts!