Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...on my 2014 S, I've never had to replace the 12V battery yet (knock on wood).
Same here. I wonder if it's a nature-or-nurture thing; i.e. is the difference simply that we got a "good" 12V battery in our particular Model S vintage, or is there something "good" we do that avoids battery wear and reduces the number of deep discharge cycles?

After the recent SW updates I've noticed the contactors stay closed hours after shutting the car off in order to float the battery. This didn't use to be the case so Tesla has updated the 12V charging strategy. I have a battery tender and since the last couple months the tender will wait with doing anything because it's sensing the car charging. Eventually the car stops and the tender takes over.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
3 years and over 172,000 km ( 107,000 miles ) and still on original 12V battery BUT my " vampire drain " has increased lately. Could that be due to the 12V battery being charged more often by the main battery and the end is neigh.

You're lucky. I've had 3 or 4 12v replacements on my 2013 S with just under 100,000 miles (160,000 km). I noticed no difference in vampire loss after 12v replacement, and the last one was replaced "urgently" because of a 12v Battery error message.

Tesla must have done something because I have not had a replacement in over 2 years. I had one replacement about 12-18 months into ownership, but at 71,000+ miles now and almost five years in with only one replacement needed.

Same here. My first battery went bad at 6 months but the replacement is 2.5 years old. I was really hoping it would fail again before the warranty expired.

2013 P85 CPO purchased 02/03/2017 with 46k miles.

I got the 12v battery warning and had it replaced under warranty at the service center last week at 63k miles. I was on the list to have the air bag recall completed too. I don't know if they installed a new battery during the CPO process but I'm hoping I get more then 12mo on the new battery.