Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just try to find C&D Technologies DCS 33 UNCR or RIT

DD28ADD7-C28A-4962-9E73-D34AF3D36FC2.jpeg

Just one thing to be aware of : Tesla chaned the type of battery at one point... and if you replace the old one with the new model, it requires a configuration change in the car... and this can only be done by them.

I'm not sure which one is new or old (model number)... but someone could probably dig it up.
I missed this. What configuration change is necessary? Did they move from traditional sealed lead acid to AGM or gel? Is it a discharge cycling thing?

I missed this. What configuration change is necessary? Did they move from traditional sealed lead acid to AGM or gel? Is it a discharge cycling thing?

I'm not sure exactly what changed. Capacity changed for sure but I think that it's still sealed lead acid. As for the config, it's a config on the gateway like everything else.

I'll see if I can dig out the info.

P85D March 2015 owner here .... I am very punctilious, and always kept my car plugged in, never deep discharges, almost never full recharges ... my battery warned it was going to die at 10 months old, replaced at 11 months old. Never a problem since. I had no car modifications or aftermarket additions at that point. Same settings on a power feed then as now

P85D March 2015 owner here .... I am very punctilious, and always kept my car plugged in, never deep discharges, almost never full recharges ... my battery warned it was going to die at 10 months old, replaced at 11 months old. Never a problem since. I had no car modifications or aftermarket additions at that point. Same settings on a power feed then as now

I'm just the opposite. I never plug my car in (I use CHADeMo when I need a charge) and I deep cycle the HV pack regularly, running it down to low single digits and charging to 90% (or more) on a regular basis. Never had a problem in any of my cars. One just turned 110,000 miles, another at 40k, and yet another at 25k.

I met an owner who went around measuring the 12V on a lot of cars at one of the early annual TMC events. He found a wide variation in the battery voltage, with a good number overcharged. At my subsequent service the Ranger reprogrammed the 12V charger from his laptop - apparently not remote loadable. So my conclusion is that some early cars may not have been set up properly at the factory.

IIRC in 4.5 years my 2012 S85 had three replacements. The first one was quite early, and the others were about two years apart.