Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the equipment in Shanghai does count as capex. Not sure about the building. The land is a lease (like all land in China) and must be accounted for as such, so I'd expect that the building would also be under lease accounting (since it is permanently affixed to the land). The equipment, however, has no such arrangement to my knowledge. (In Buffalo, the equipment is technically leased from SUNY, IIRC. I see no similar arrangement in Shanghai.)

I don't see much I'd change. Leasing almost 4k Model 3s will be a ~175m hit to cash flow, but S/X lease fleet will shrink a little and partially offset that. If they partially unwind the wave inventory should grow some. AP/accrued would also grow if they build the ~80k Model 3s needed to deliver 75k and also unwind some.
Even with unwinding of the wave I expect Model 3 inventory to grow and s+x to come down. So, given the extremely high inventory build up in Q1 ($800M), we'll actually see the inventory level go down. BTW, in luvb2b's Q1 model, the inventory building is a big miss. That makes his cash flow estimate miss the actuals by $300M.

I don't see 500m of capex. I know they guided 2.0-2.5b for the year, but they've been far below guidance for several quarters and I don't see any signs they've ramped back up. I don't think GF Shanghai will run through the cash flow statement, except ~500m of tooling which is a long way off.
Possibly. I just wanted to show how much they would have to spend to be in line with their guidance - and they would still be (cash flow - capex) positive for given # of deliveries.

I expect GF3 capex to be also covered by China loans.

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627 and neroden
That's equipment. Tooling won't arrive for a while. IMHO building and equipment will not count as capex, similar to Buffalo.
Equipment directly used for manufacturing (like robots) should count as capex - but probably with their own linear non-unit based depreciation. Unless on lease. Not sure what they are doing in Fremont.

Anyway, the line item we are talking about is "Purchases of property and equipment excluding finance leases, net of sales" - that definitely includes all fixed assets in the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I think the equipment in Shanghai does count as capex. Not sure about the building. The land is a lease (like all land in China) and must be accounted for as such, so I'd expect that the building would also be under lease accounting (since it is permanently affixed to the land). The equipment, however, has no such arrangement to my knowledge. (In Buffalo, the equipment is technically leased from SUNY, IIRC. I see no similar arrangement in Shanghai.)
You could be right. As you say they haven't disclosed a building/equipment lease, just some Buffalo-like capex and annual tax revenue clauses. I'm sure it'll be on their balance sheet one way or the other, it's just a matter of how it gets there.

It is hard to imagine what else they'd spend 2.0-2.5b on this year. Or 2.5-3.0b, depending on which part of the 10-Q you read.

I wrote this response in the Market thread. Wanted to expand on this a bit here.

Tesla needs to sell roughly
- 250k cars / year to be Operating cash flow positive
- 350k cars / year to make non-GAAP profit
- 450k cars / year to make GAAP profit

Main assumptions for 2019 are
- Margin of 20%+
- ASP of 50k+, 100k+ for 3 & s+x
- No big inventory buildup like in Q1
- About $1B in SG&A + R&D.

I wonder how this will change for 2020, when GF3 coming online. My guess would be
- Margin will be maintained above 20%
- ASP will continue to be 50k+, 100k+. This is based on SR+ price in China being $47k (RMB 328k).
- Inventory needs should go down as China gets supplied mainly from GF3
- SG&A should go up to account for GF3. May be not that much.
- Depreciation may go up for GF3.

When Model Y starts getting produced,
- Margin may go up as initially expensive Ys will be made
- ASP will go up from 50k+, 100k+
- Inventory may not go up much depending on region they will be delivering
- SG&A should be about the same
- Depreciation may go up a little

One unknown in all this is FSD - or more accurately how they will show progress towards FSD. If NOA on city roads becomes available to the fleet, it would be a very novel new tech for everyone. No one has released anything close to that on city streets. I expect FSD take up rate to increase, which would increase ASP and Margin. Tesla will also get to recognize deferred revenue resulting in a one off windfall profit.

@EVNow I'm wondering what's your reasoning for $105k ASP for S/X? I'd imagine ASP to trend lower due to the reinstatement of standard range models, and also due to the free ludicrous upgrade for existing owners.
Mainly because of refresh and expected higher take rate of FSD. We'll see. There was a bit of discussion on this upthread - basically ASP of $100k instead of $105k would make an impact of $15M on p&l. Not a big impact in the grand scheme.

@EVNow I would expect Model Y to cannibalise Model X in the same way as what we are seeing for Model 3/Model S now.
Yes - hopefully they'll be ready with a refresh of X before Y is released !

By the time Y comes online, initially delivered X would be 4,5 years old. Hopefully enough of them re-order that Tesla doesn't need to find a lot of new buyers.

Reactions: neroden and erha
Is there any evidence of higher FSD uptake?
Anecdotal on TMC.

BTW, I won't be surprised if Q2 ASP is actually higher than 105k. They seem to be prioritizing LR deliveries over SR. Though, this may be offset by all the huge discounts they are giving pre-refresh S.

Post Q2, the ASP may go down a bit. Difficult to figure that out now.

Were you thinking the ASP would be substantially lower than $105k (like $95k or $90k) ?

Rework might be high for initial Model Y builds, not sure how that would figure. Model X was too big for me. Model 3 was too small. I'm hoping model Y will be just right. That is, can I carry everything in it I could in a Prius 2012 PiP.
The rework would result in higher Service cost - but the volume should be low too, to start with.

Trunk space of Y seems to be >= that of Prius.

Model Y Cargo Space (poll)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Anecdotal on TMC.

BTW, I won't be surprised if Q2 ASP is actually higher than 105k. They seem to be prioritizing LR deliveries over SR. Though, this may be offset by all the huge discounts they are giving pre-refresh S.

Post Q2, the ASP may go down a bit. Difficult to figure that out now.

Were you thinking the ASP would be substantially lower than $105k (like $95k or $90k) ?

It seems like the price of a fully-optioned long-range Model S/X has significantly come down in the past several months. This will affect ASP. I wouldn’t be surprised if Q2 ASP is under $100k and it drops to under $95k by end of year.

Tesla raised $2.7 billion (really $2.3 after fees), however, if you assume that past debt will be paid and cash reserves return to $0 then the net to Tesla was around $500MM. A non-bailout bailout if you will. They will not meet CapEx forecasted and they are not spending their forecast in R&D. Conserving cash? Hard to see how they return to profitability in 2019 and with ~$30b in debt, dropping S and X sales,

It seems like the price of a fully-optioned long-range Model S/X has significantly come down in the past several months. This will affect ASP. I wouldn’t be surprised if Q2 ASP is under $100k and it drops to under $95k by end of year.
That is possible - but difficult to tell since there are many moving parts, esp. this quarter.

As I said, every $5k drop in ASP brings down the profit by about $15M.

Last edited:
Tesla raised $2.7 billion (really $2.3 after fees), however, if you assume that past debt will be paid and cash reserves return to $0 then the net to Tesla was around $500MM. A non-bailout bailout if you will. They will not meet CapEx forecasted and they are not spending their forecast in R&D. Conserving cash? Hard to see how they return to profitability in 2019 and with ~$30b in debt, dropping S and X sales,
What timeframe are you talking about ?

What exactly do you mean by "profitability" - gaap or non-gaap. You don't need "profitability" to service debt, just positive cash flow, which is far easier to achieve. If they sell enough cars, they are likely to make $3B in cash rest of the year. Enough to service debt and spend on Capex.

Forecast and actuals in R&D has been around $350M(Mod: corrected obvious typo from B to M --ggr) a quarter. Can you give links to where they forecasted more ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote this response in the Market thread. Wanted to expand on this a bit here.

Main assumptions for 2019 are
- Margin of 20%+
- ASP of 50k+, 100k+ for 3 & s+x
- No big inventory buildup like in Q1
- About $1B in SG&A + R&D.

Is that quarterly?
R&D has been pretty steady at around a billion a year, and will probably stay there. I think it may actually drop a bit from the recent $350 million/quarter as there is only so much R&D you can do at any time, and Models 3/Y/Semi/Pickup don't have high R&D requirements right now.

SG&A, however, is currently $2.2 billion/year, and I expect it to go up to $2.5 - $3 billion as the service centers are deployed geographically.

That would be a total of about $4 billion/year or $1/billion a quarter for R&D + SG&A. Is that the same as your estimate?