Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. The credit values are a lot more predictable than analysts are recognizing. The difficulty is that for some reason each EU pool is highly secretive about the terms of each of their agreements.

Also Tesla is in a pool that has never met it’s emissions target. I had done a deep dive of the mechanics of the pools at one point and I believe it was that all pure EVs were super credits and if you did end up in a net credit position there were carry over mechanics to subsequent periods. This would reinforce that the credit revenue is recognized in full on each vehicle sale.
EU pooling does not carry over. That's why VW Group and others lump so many EV sales in the last couple months - they want to hit the target exactly without going over.

I would expect that once Berlin is online and Tesla’s EU volumes are more predictable that they’ll have more negotiating ability to demand pricing that favors them. Keep in mind that Tesla entered these agreements at a time where it had very low volume EU sales.
Tesla did the FCA pooling deal in Q1 of 2019, after they'd started shipping Model 3s there and were selling at a 100k+/year pace.

You're right about pooling deals being too secretive to fully understand, but not about deferred revenue. FCA paid Tesla a big chunk of cash (280m, IIRC) in Q1 2019. Half of that went into deferred revenue. The 140m they did recognize immediately drove that quarter's regulatory credit revenue far above other quarters in 2018-19. So it's clear that neither cash payments nor revenue recognition clock along at a fixed amount per car. Furthermore, EU deliveries were down 10% in 2020 yet reg credit revenue almost tripled from 0.6b to 1.6b. Pooling had a lot more value to FCA in 2020, so they paid ~3x per car more cash and Tesla recognized more revenue.

Stellantis says they'll meet EU 95g quotas on their own going forward. I think a lot of last quarter's 518m revenue was the VW deal in China. I've seen math estimating VW Group needed to buy all of Tesla's NEV credits and then some. At estimated pricing of 2000 RMB per credit that could have been a 300m deal by itself.

Tesla did the FCA pooling deal in Q1 of 2019, after they'd started shipping Model 3s there and were selling at a 100k+/year pace.

Q1 2019 was the first quarter Tesla sold any meaningful volume of vehicles in Europe. Prior to that they never exceeded 8k units a quarter. It wasn’t a position of strength that would have allowed them to broker pricing/payment terms that would really benefit them. I also wonder if the whole reason this is so secretive is that Tesla didn’t have the negotiating power to be permitted to disclose contract terms in their reporting. Generally, a contract that material to the business would be a US GAAP required disclosure. They have jumped through many hoops to get SEC approval to keep the terms confidential. I suspect Zach doesn’t want to keep having to do that if he doesn’t need to. Especially since disclosure would remove some uncertainty from analyst modeling of that revenue stream, which would just serve to help stabilize price action a little more.

edit: source for EU sales Tesla Europe Sales Figures

You're right about pooling deals being too secretive to fully understand, but not about deferred revenue. FCA paid Tesla a big chunk of cash (280m, IIRC) in Q1 2019. Half of that went into deferred revenue. The 140m they did recognize immediately drove that quarter's regulatory credit revenue far above other quarters in 2018-19. So it's clear that neither cash payments nor revenue recognition clock along at a fixed amount per car. Furthermore, EU deliveries were down 10% in 2020 yet reg credit revenue almost tripled from 0.6b to 1.6b. Pooling had a lot more value to FCA in 2020, so they paid ~3x per car more cash and Tesla recognized more revenue.
The only reason Tesla was able to defer that much of the revenue in 2019 was because the $280M was a prepayment for future delivery of vehicles. The fact they recognized $140M is likely because they fulfilled half of their obligation. Once they fulfilled the other half, they recognized the rest. It was NOT purely accounting discretion (because that would be fraud).

The only discretion Tesla has around EU credits is figuring out how many vehicles it could/would ship to the EU. As for other jurisdictions’ credits, the only incentive Tesla has to not immediately sell every credit it earns is if it believes it can generate a higher price on the credit trading market at a later date.

Given that the supply and demand curve of those credits is balancing (yes more demand given more restrictions on emissions, but also much more supply hitting markets from other players), the price of those credits is more likely to stay flat or drop. So, they really have no reason to hoard them.

More likely reason that they carry any deferred credit revenue is the same prepayment scenario described above. They received a payment for X units worth of production, but have yet to fulfill that (likely VW China deal).

I want to be clear, the notion that Tesla is financially engineering recognition of its credit revenue is FUD. There is very little discretion with deferred revenue under any reputable accounting framework.

There really are only two ways you can defer revenue recognition: 1) you’ve been prepaid for something you have yet to fulfill, 2) you have earned something that you must then sell to another party to monetize. Absent those two scenarios, there really is no discretion to defer revenue recognition.

People think it’s discretionary when reality is that it is not. The only discretion Tesla has is deciding where to ship vehicles. If it chooses to ship them to a jurisdiction where they also earn credit revenue on top of their actual sales margin, that’s fantastic!

The only reason Tesla was able to defer that much of the revenue in 2019 was because the $280M was a prepayment for future delivery of vehicles. The fact they recognized $140M is likely because they fulfilled half of their obligation. Once they fulfilled the other half, they recognized the rest. It was NOT purely accounting discretion (because that would be fraud).
The problem is - you have a theory you want to stick to despite facts being not agreeing with the theory.

I remember 2019 Q1 like it was yesterday. Tesla went through a near death experience - Musk was trying to desperately contact Tim Cook to sell Tesla to Apple - but Cook wouldn't take the call (apparently). Then out out the blue Fiat deal comes through - and Musk tweeted about this as being such an unexpected life savior (not in those words).

Anyway, Tesla hardly sold any cars in Q1 in EU and their US market was down too. Thats what caused massive losses and took the SP to ~170 (pre-split). So I don't think they would have fulfilled half their obligation in Q1 - unless it was a payment for joining the pool.

Basically you are assuming

Revenue = NumberOfCarsSold * CreditPerCar

It could be a more complicated formula they have agreed to. Afterall, Tesla desperately needed some cash in Q1 '19. Like,

Revenue = FixedAmountForJoingThePool + NumberOfCarsSold * CreditPerCar

or

Revenue = FixedAmountForJoingThePool + NumberOfCarsSold * (power of 1/3) * CreditPerCar * (power of 3/4)

None of the above violate any accounting principles in any way.

This is not purely an accounting question. Its a question of how is the deal structured - what can be recognized as revenue is dictated by that structure. The structure could have been negotiated to give both Tesla and Fiat flexibility. We just don't know.

The problem is - you have a theory you want to stick to despite facts being not agreeing with the theory.

I remember 2019 Q1 like it was yesterday. Tesla went through a near death experience - Musk was trying to desperately contact Tim Cook to sell Tesla to Apple - but Cook wouldn't take the call (apparently). Then out out the blue Fiat deal comes through - and Musk tweeted about this as being such an unexpected life savior (not in those words).

Anyway, Tesla hardly sold any cars in Q1 in EU and their US market was down too. Thats what caused massive losses and took the SP to ~170 (pre-split). So I don't think they would have fulfilled half their obligation in Q1 - unless it was a payment for joining the pool.

Basically you are assuming

Revenue = NumberOfCarsSold * CreditPerCar

It could be a more complicated formula they have agreed to. Afterall, Tesla desperately needed some cash in Q1 '19. Like,

Revenue = FixedAmountForJoingThePool + NumberOfCarsSold * CreditPerCar

or

Revenue = FixedAmountForJoingThePool + NumberOfCarsSold * (power of 1/3) * CreditPerCar * (power of 3/4)

None of the above violate any accounting principles in any way.

This is not purely an accounting question. Its a question of how is the deal structured - what can be recognized as revenue is dictated by that structure. The structure could have been negotiated to give both Tesla and Fiat flexibility. We just don't know.
I was simplifying it for non accountants. You’re absolutely right that the deal dictates the recognition, and that they may not have met 50% of their obligations and there could have been an early payment (would need to be non refundable / non conditional) that could have given rise to a larger chunk of early recognition. Though the balance of power in Q1 2019 between the parties would likely dictate that negotiating a large up front, non refundable payment was highly unlikely, but maybe FCA was more desperate than I give them credit for.

The deal could also have been that credit per vehicle was front loaded (higher value for initial vehicles). Endless permutations.

That is actually my point- the deal terms dictate recognition. Tesla management does NOT dictate recognition. The FUD is that Tesla is fabricating its accounting of these credits, which is absolute garbage.

The only two points I’m trying to make:
  1. Tesla does NOT have flexibility on how it recognizes revenue from regulatory credits;
  2. That EU credits are presold and thus will be recognized immediately on fulfilling obligation (usually means selling a vehicle);

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
The deal could also have been that credit per vehicle was front loaded (higher value for initial vehicles). Endless permutations.

That is actually my point- the deal terms dictate recognition. Tesla management does NOT dictate recognition. The FUD is that Tesla is fabricating its accounting of these credits, which is absolute garbage.

The only two points I’m trying to make:
  1. Tesla does NOT have flexibility on how it recognizes revenue from regulatory credits;
  2. That EU credits are presold and thus will be recognized immediately on fulfilling obligation (usually means selling a vehicle);
When there are endless permutations possible, one of them would give some leeway to Tesla on when to "take the actions necessary to make revenue recognizable". To give an extremely simple and crude mechanism - the deal might say - Tesla has to send the total number of cars sold (and their configuration or in which countries sold etc) in writing to FCA, then FCA will acknowledge the number and only then will FCA be obligated to pay. Tesla can decide when exactly they send the letter and how many cars they include.

I spent sometime to compile the below. As you can see Reg Credits and EU sales have little correlation. Infact the correlation comes to 0.284. The reg credits seem to be somewhat flat through out a year - irrespective of the delivery numbers.

In Q2 '20 The sales went down from 23k to 14k - but the credits actually increased from 354M to 428M. Then in Q3, sales jumped to 27K - but the credits went down to 397M !

Untitled.png

When there are endless permutations possible, one of them would give some leeway to Tesla on when to "take the actions necessary to make revenue recognizable". To give an extremely simple and crude mechanism - the deal might say - Tesla has to send the total number of cars sold (and their configuration or in which countries sold etc) in writing to FCA, then FCA will acknowledge the number and only then will FCA be obligated to pay. Tesla can decide when exactly they send the letter and how many cars they include.

I spent sometime to compile the below. As you can see Reg Credits and EU sales have little correlation. Infact the correlation comes to 0.284. The reg credits seem to be somewhat flat through out a year - irrespective of the delivery numbers.

In Q2 '20 The sales went down from 23k to 14k - but the credits actually increased from 354M to 428M. Then in Q3, sales jumped to 27K - but the credits went down to 397M !

View attachment 659000
What you’ve described would leave PwC and FCA accusing Tesla of committing fraud, and should FCA be aware of those actions they’d likely have reason to sue.

Why would they condone the party they are relying on for credits from withholding information and why would Tesla WANT to slow down their profits? If anything Tesla would have incentive to overstate and accelerate recognition, which again would be fraudulent.

Remember FCA is benefited from this deal, as the amount they pay for credit is cheaper than the penalty itself. So withholding that information would likely be a breach of contract and have caused commercial harm to FCA. Realistically, the agreement would stipulate exact timing or mechanism of information relaying between parties. Moreover, one or both parties would likely require a special audit report specific to any financial information tied to that contract, in order to attempt to prevent what you’re describing.

If anything you seem to want to believe that Tesla is being fraudulent. It’s perplexing.

I also re-read the 2019 Q1 10-Q note disclosure it’s pretty clear that the $140M is not related to the FCA deal. The language doesn’t speak to having been prepaid an amount for future deliveries. The $140M is more likely related to another earn and trade jurisdiction. This is reinforced by the fact that the note also says they intended to recognize it over 2-3 years, but recognized it within 12 months. That recognition just doesn’t follow a prepayment fact pattern, but does fit an earn and trade system (which the EU is not).

990CDF2C-E3B1-4661-AA5A-03E9AA5E97AF.png

We also know about the VW China deal. You could assume 3000 yuan (~450 USD) per credit, with anywhere from 4-5 credits earned per vehicle (I’ve seen conflicting statements on the amount of credits generated per vehicle). What we don’t know is if any 2020 quarters would have had the same deal, likely at least Q4, but possibly even further back.

Maybe if you adjust for those two things, you may see a different correlation. I would reduce Q2 2020 by $140M (since that amount is unlikely to be related to EU) and also back out VW deal from Q4 2020 and Q1 2021. You would likely see much stronger correlation.

What the trend does seem to tell me is that the credits are front loaded to cars delivered in Q1 of the year. The latter makes commercial sense as I assume the penalty calculations are back loaded to Q4 where the pool members have a pretty good sense of what their penalty exposure is and may want more flexibility in pricing for credits in later quarters.

EU pooling does not carry over. That's why VW Group and others lump so many EV sales in the last couple months - they want to hit the target exactly without going over.
You’re absolutely right. I confused the fact that you still get credit if you exceed your targets (with the benefit of exceeding being capped at 5% of target). So, there’s still an incentive to beat the target, but not to hoard and carry forward (unlike California or China that both had explicit carry over rules).

Also in re-reading the actual regulations, this isn’t a true penalty regime, but rather that you will face harsher targets in future years if you don’t start hitting your targets now. A bit of an indirect way to force compliance, which also adds to the rationale of keeping secret what each pool is paying for credits since there isn’t a specific penalty cost to benchmark against (like there is in California).

What you’ve described would leave PwC and FCA accusing Tesla of committing fraud, and should FCA be aware of those actions they’d likely have reason to sue.
Hardly. Afterall before you count a sale - all paperwork has to be in order.

Really, you can't imagine how a deal can be structured to give the parties some flexibility and 100% legit ?

Anyway, practically speaking - after the deliveries are known - you can't figure out the fed credits. It might be $600M or $400M in Q2. That means a good 25% of GAAP profit variation can come from just this. You can't make a meaningful model with such variability (esp. if the idea is to figure out whether the eps estimates will be beat or missed).

Hardly. Afterall before you count a sale - all paperwork has to be in order.

Really, you can't imagine how a deal can be structured to give the parties some flexibility and 100% legit ?
You’re talking about reporting under a regulatory framework where the very regulations require reporting to come from the EU member states directly (not from the pool members). So, in this particular case, no there really isn’t that much flexibility.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

I remember 2019 Q1 like it was yesterday. Tesla went through a near death experience - Musk was trying to desperately contact Tim Cook to sell Tesla to Apple - but Cook wouldn't take the call (apparently).
And you have your "facts" wrong: the "darkest days" of the Model 3 program were 2018 Q2 when Elon said Tesla was within "single-digits weeks" of bankruptcy. That's when he tried to contact Tim Cook.

Elon called this time "Production Hell" and it finally came to an end with the creation of the Sprung structure a.k.a "the tent" which allowed Fremont to produce 5K Models 3 per week for the entire quarter. Remember?

This was NOT in 2019 Q1 as you "remember" (that time was what Elon called "Logistics Hell") when the problem getting Model 3s delivered to Europe on time after a delay in January caused by a Europe-specific parts supply issue.

Please, get your facts straight.

"The problem is - you have a theory you want to stick to despite facts being not agreeing with the theory."

Q2 2021 Estimate vs Q2 2020

Highlights:

• Deliveries of 213k (+134%) is an all-time record
  • Auto Revenues double with 103% growth
  • Total Revenues of $12B (+99%) is an all-time records.
  • Gross Profit of $2.7B is an all-time record (more than double the prior year)
  • Operating Income of $1.2B is an all-time record (more than triple the prior year)
  • GAAP Earnings of $860m is an all-time record (about 8 times higher than prior year at +727% growth)
  • Non-Gaap Earnings of 1.3B is an all-time record (almost triple the prior yeat at +192% growth
  • EPS GAAP of $0.76 and non-Gaap of $1.16 (both records)
1620054034281.png

Here is my Q2 2021 Estimate vs the recent Q1 2021 quarter:

View attachment 659155

excellent work above with your estimates and the comp plan breakdown.

One question: how are you estimating income taxes? Why the more than tripling from Q1 ($221.6m vs $69m) when the Income before tax is less than twice as much? was there a special item that reduced income taxes in Q1 report?

excellent work above with your estimates and the comp plan breakdown.

One question: how are you estimating income taxes? Why the more than tripling from Q1 ($221.6m vs $69m) when the Income before tax is less than twice as much? was there a special item that reduced income taxes in Q1 report?
Copying @st_lopes since he is much more knowledgeable about taxes than I am.

Computing Income Taxes properly is virtually impossible; as you can see, the effective tax rate has jumped around from Qtr to Qtr.
Here are the effective rates from prior quarters:

Q1 2020 - 2.9%
Q2 2020 - 14.0%
Q3 2020 - 33.5%
Q4 2020 - 21.9%
Q1 2021 - 12.9%
Q2 2021 - I am using 20% (the average of the past 4 qtrs)

With Net Operating Losses in the US and the State of California, I believe that the effective US+State tax rate is about 4-5% (due to sales made in states outside of CA and Tesla having a presence in multiple states).
I would guess that profits outside of the US are taxed in the 25%-30% range. The higher percentage of sales in the US vs outside the US, the lower the overall tax expense. My hunch is that the rate should be about 15% to 18% in Q2 but I went with 20% to be conservative.