Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Shanghai deliveries were higher than Troy expected. 35% higher (54k vs 40k).
Troy will be adjusting his numbers up. This is good as many people look to Troy for guidance.

EDIT: He's not the only person revising Q4 numbers up . . . . .I will as well.

Exciting implication. China production and deliveries could be over 165k and up to 175k. Fremont appears to be ramping and S/X should finally be well over 10,000. 290-300k is not out of reach, which would beat estimates and blow out earnings. Production around 300,000 would also allow Tesla to delay some deliveries at the end of the quarter and setup a ridiculous Q1. US delayed deliveries are the big wild card for Q4.

I assume chip shortage is solved and LFP is replacing some 1680 for storage and allowing both Shanghai and Freemont to press the accelerator for 3 non LR, so I would not be surprised if Freemont is up a lot on 3 also. With recent price increases and lower cost for all shared parts, margins on those 3s should be great. And soon $199/month for FSD will be added to many of these. My own estimate is 300k deliveries for Q4, this is what I dare to believe. But my brain tells me it could be even higher.

I assume chip shortage is solved and LFP is replacing some 1680 for storage and allowing both Shanghai and Freemont to press the accelerator for 3 non LR, so I would not be surprised if Freemont is up a lot on 3 also. With recent price increases and lower cost for all shared parts, margins on those 3s should be great. And soon $199/month for FSD will be added to many of these. My own estimate is 300k deliveries for Q4, this is what I dare to believe. But my brain tells me it could be even higher.
"I assume chip shortage is solved" - for Tesla (& possibly some Chinese firms), not legacy, huge open goal to anyone making half-decent EVS, ICE not even on the pitch.

306,000 predicted by Rob Maurer -
(timestamp) - you're in good company! Simply amazing.

Exciting implication. China production and deliveries could be over 165k and up to 175k. Fremont appears to be ramping and S/X should finally be well over 10,000. 290-300k is not out of reach, which would beat estimates and blow out earnings. Production around 300,000 would also allow Tesla to delay some deliveries at the end of the quarter and setup a ridiculous Q1. US delayed deliveries are the big wild card for Q4.
That 54k Shanghai delivery number for October includes a mandatory week-long holiday (Oct 1-7 for Chinese National Day). Assuming production was 95% of deliveries, that implies a full monthly production rate of 95%*54k/75% = 68.4k.

68.4k*2 (Nov and Dec) + 54k (Oct) = 190k and still leaves the possibility for some upside because there are no more national Holidays in China in the rest of the quarter.

Sawyer Merritt “reports” Shanghai may be at 15-16k weekly production rate, which implies 54k + 16k*8.6 (more than 8 weeks from Nov 1 to EOQ) = 191.6k.

So I think we’re looking at closer to 190k-200k for Shanghai this quarter.

Last edited:
The Model S delivery timelines indicate that nearly all deliveries will still be Plaid for Q4. Does anyone have estimates for production volume?

These cars cost $130k for the base version and probably $135k average with the paint, wheel and interior option upsells but excluding FSD.

The gross margins are probably around 50% for these. $67k profit per S! If they can go from 10k deliveries in Q3 to 20k that's $1.35 billion in Q4 gross profit.

Add on the new estimates of Model 3/Y volume of about 295k with probably $55k ASP and probably 33% average gross margin and that's $5.35B gross profit.

If Opex is $1.8B, that's earnings of $4.9B. After maybe 20%tax, around $3.9B. That's about $3.5 earnings per share. At today's $1060 share price the P/E multiple would be 76x.

Did I do the math right here?

I don't normally play with options but if earnings are going to be a blowout of this magnitude I may be compelled to scoop up some calls...

Last edited:
The Model S delivery timelines indicate that nearly all deliveries will still be Plaid for Q4.

Wait, what? I don’t see that at all. Lets say ordinarily 20% of orders are Plaid (this seems reasonable based on the delivery trackers I’ve seen in the past). So Tesla plans to build 80% base, 20% plaid. Now note the base is sold out for Q4 but plaid is not. That suggests to me that Tesla overestimated plaid interest. We’ve also seen plaids hit inventory (albeit briefly), suggesting they had enough orders to manufacture a batch of plaid but not enough that the batch was sold out.

It also might be that Tesla builds mostly base but figures they can convert a batch of base to a batch of plaid in December if the demand is there, so they’ll offer quicker delivery as a carrot to see if they can sell out an additional batch of plaid.

But I struggle to get to a reading where they’re building only plaid in Q4. Do you have some other information about the plaid build fraction?

(And though the volume is very low, all X deliveries so far are non-plaid.)

Wait, what? I don’t see that at all. Lets say ordinarily 20% of orders are Plaid (this seems reasonable based on the delivery trackers I’ve seen in the past). So Tesla plans to build 80% base, 20% plaid. Now note the base is sold out for Q4 but plaid is not. That suggests to me that Tesla overestimated plaid interest. We’ve also seen plaids hit inventory (albeit briefly), suggesting they had enough orders to manufacture a batch of plaid but not enough that the batch was sold out.

It also might be that Tesla builds mostly base but figures they can convert a batch of base to a batch of plaid in December if the demand is there, so they’ll offer quicker delivery as a carrot to see if they can sell out an additional batch of plaid.

But I struggle to get to a reading where they’re building only plaid in Q4. Do you have some other information about the plaid build fraction?

(And though the volume is very low, all X deliveries so far are non-plaid.)
Delivery timelines are the product both of demand and of Tesla's choices around production mix allocation. So it could be true that Plaid delivery timelines are short because of weak demand for plaid, or because Plaid production is being prioritized heavily due to higher margins. In the past we've seen Tesla do this kind of thing, especially during the 2017-2018 Model 3 ramp.

If demand for the plaid were relatively low then I don't understand why they would keep the base price at $130,000 instead of bringing it down closer to the price of the LR.

Considering the higher starting price of the X and the fact that a big blobby minivan attracts fewer performance enthusiasts, the proportion of Plaid versus LR for the X may have limited representativeness for the S.

However, I haven't checked any delivery trackers so my prediction could be way off the mark. Do you have a link to one?

In any case, the main wild card for Q4 is the number of deliveries of Model S/X rather than the mix. If my 20k estimate is correct but the ASP is actually only $110k, that only reduces total profit by about $300 million.

Delivery timelines are the product both of demand and of Tesla's choices around production mix allocation. So it could be true that Plaid delivery timelines are short because of weak demand for plaid, or because Plaid production is being prioritized heavily due to higher margins. In the past we've seen Tesla do this kind of thing, especially during the 2017-2018 Model 3 ramp.

If demand for the plaid were relatively low then I don't understand why they would keep the base price at $130,000 instead of bringing it down closer to the price of the LR.

Considering the higher starting price of the X and the fact that a big blobby minivan attracts fewer performance enthusiasts, the proportion of Plaid versus LR for the X may have limited representativeness for the S.

However, I haven't checked any delivery trackers so my prediction could be way off the mark. Do you have a link to one?

In any case, the main wild card for Q4 is the number of deliveries of Model S/X rather than the mix. If my 20k estimate is correct but the ASP is actually only $110k, that only reduces total profit by about $300 million.

Here’s one order tracker: Teslike Model S/X Order Tracker

The stats on the options/ASP sheets in there aren’t current, but I expect them to be at least moderately representative of the base/plaid split. I mean, if 80% of orders were non-plaid historically, I don’t see that changing to 100% plaid now, and if all base reservation holders were getting the silent treatment while plaid deliveries were happening right and left, I think there would be more of an uproar.

The model X waiting room here on TMC has info on the X orders and deliveries: Refreshed 2021 Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

Most orders are non-plaid and there have been zero confirmed plaid deliveries. One person who took delivery at the factory was told all plaids are on hold due to regulatory delays, but there’s only the one source as far as I know. Another person was told by an SA that plaid deliveries had happened in NY if I recall correctly, but that’s being treated as unreliable as there’s been no reports or pics of any customer plaid X by anybody anywhere. Again that’s just the X, and you’re probably right that most who want a super car don’t pick an SUV… though the Cayenne and Urus seem to do OK. And the X is a pretty good family compromise for those who enjoy both roller-coasters and procreation. :)

You may also be right that the impact of lower S/X ASP isn’t huge… still I’d rather start from more defensible assumptions and build a great case from there, rather than being crazy optimistic from the start.

The stats on the options/ASP sheets in there aren’t current, but I expect them to be at least moderately representative of the base/plaid split. I mean, if 80% of orders were non-plaid historically, I don’t see that changing to 100% plaid now, and if all base reservation holders were getting the silent treatment while plaid deliveries were happening right and left, I think there would be more of an uproar.

The model X waiting room here on TMC has info on the X orders and deliveries: Refreshed 2021 Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

Most orders are non-plaid and there have been zero confirmed plaid deliveries. One person who took delivery at the factory was told all plaids are on hold due to regulatory delays, but there’s only the one source as far as I know. Another person was told by an SA that plaid deliveries had happened in NY if I recall correctly, but that’s being treated as unreliable as there’s been no reports or pics of any customer plaid X by anybody anywhere. Again that’s just the X, and you’re probably right that most who want a super car don’t pick an SUV… though the Cayenne and Urus seem to do OK. And the X is a pretty good family compromise for those who enjoy both roller-coasters and procreation. :)

You may also be right that the impact of lower S/X ASP isn’t huge… still I’d rather start from more defensible assumptions and build a great case from there, rather than being crazy optimistic from the start.
In that case probably your plaid mix estimate is probably closer to reality.

I'm still left without explanation for why they don't lower the Plaid price and also what the rumored regulatory delays are about.

Given that production of Model S is still low, the maximum difference this would make on Q4 profit is about $0.5B.

On the other hand, with LFPs apparently being put into 3/Y Standard Range vehicles out of Shanghai now, my 33% gross margin estimate might need to increase to 35%.

Reactions: RabidYak
The more I look at this, the more convinced I am that earnings in Q4 will be double the Q3 earnings, hitting somewhere around $3-3.50 per share (GAAP).

The operating leverage is finally kicking in hard as Tesla has sailed past the breakeven point, just as demand is reaching frenzied levels from the failure of other automakers to deliver continued supply amidst the chip shortage and as general demand for EVs is blowing up.

My Estimate for the Q4 2021 CEO Performance Award
This has become a bit of an eye chart but I want to present prior quarters for completeness.
I project the CEO Award expense to be $151m in Q4 (vs $190m in Q3)
I project that tranche 11 becomes probable in Q4 2021 with the Adj EBITDA milestone of $14B.
I project the last and final tranche 12 to become probable in Q1 2022 with the 75B Revenue milestone.
This final tranche 12 will become probable in Q1 2022, achieved in Q3 2022 and certified by the Board in Q4 2022.
We'll see a new proposed CEO Award program sometime in 2022 to cover 2023 and beyond.

1637163927675.png

We'll see a new proposed CEO Award program sometime in 2022 to cover 2023 and beyond.

I don't think we will see a new CEO Award plan for Elon in 2022. From the company's point-of-view, the last bet-the-company moment is behind it with the success of the Fremont Model 3 production ramp in 2018. Then, ramping exports to Europe consumed 2019 (which had its own logistics drama to overcome). Shanghai was the bright spot in 2020 even while the rest of the auto industry sputtered due to covid. 2021 has been the year of Model Y margins, and 2022 will be the year of Max. Growth with Berlin, Austin, and 4680 cell production all converging. In short, Tesla the company no longer needs to tie its future success to a 'key-man' risk.

From Elon's point of view, its clear he'd rather spend most of this time working on Starship, which will take years if not decades. He will remain Executive Chairman and Chief Product Designer at Tesla, with the new CEO ultimately reporting to him (as required by his 2018 CEO comp plan).

I think right now, Zachary Kirkhorn has the inside track as the potential new CEO. With youthful energy, yet bringing a decade of experience as a Tesla insider, he could be the ideal person to lead Tesla forward into the 2030s. Further, I think a nice juicy compensation offer in the $30M to $40M-ish per year range will make his ears perk up.

Elon will continue to profit handsomely from further Tesla success until he is 1st allowed to sell any of his 2018 Comp. plan shares in 2028 (>6 yrs from now). His motivation will remain strong; no need for multiple percent of the company awards any longer. I think the Compensation Committee will see it this way too.

Cheers!

Last edited:
To strengthen that remark, I would say that the number of shares he’ll soon be having, multiplied by their future prices, OUGHT to be sufficient for him to realize his goal of establishing a Mars station. If not, then one can say he failed as being unworthy, and he also wouldn’t be deserving further Tesla compensation.

I FULLY expect this not to be the case!

Edited to untangle Yoda-like sentence structure.

Last edited:
I don't think we will see a new CEO Award plan for Elon in 2022. From the company's point-of-view, the last bet-the-company moment is behind it with the success of the Fremont Model 3 production ramp in 2018. Then, ramping exports to Europe consumed 2019 (which had its own logistics drama to overcome). Shanghai was the bright spot in 2020 even while the rest of the auto industry sputtered due to covid. 2021 has been the year of Model Y margins, and 2022 will be the year of Max. Growth with Berlin, Austin, and 4680 cell production all converging. In short, Tesla the company no longer needs to tie its future success to a 'key-man' risk.

From Elon's point of view, its clear he'd rather spend most of this time working on Starship, which will take years if not decades. He will remain Executive Chairman and Chief Product Designer at Tesla, with the new CEO ultimately reporting to him (as required by his 2018 CEO comp plan).

I think right now, Zachary Kirkhorn has the inside track as the potential new CEO. With youthful energy, yet bringing a decade of experience as a Tesla insider, he could be the ideal person to lead Tesla forward into the 2030s. Further, I think a nice juicy compensation offer in the $30M to $40M-ish per year range will make his ears perk up.

Elon will continue to profit handsomely from further Tesla success until he is 1st allowed to sell any of his 2018 Comp. plan shares in 2028 (>6 yrs from now). His motivation will remain strong; no need for multiple percent of the company awards any longer. I think the Compensation Committee will see it this way too.

Cheers!
I'd support comp. plan 5% of TSLA company that starts westing at $5000, ends at $10000, and is conditioned (every tranche!) that Tesla has market cap that is at least twice of second largest company, for 6 months running.
It has to be a touch challenging, otherwise there is a clean line of sight from here to multiple $T valuation...

Largely agree, but he only needs to hold specific positions until the last tranche vests (next year?). After that, as long as he is employed at Tesla, he can exercise the vested options. Post exercise, there is no comp plan based leverage beyond the linkage between Tesla's performance and his available resources (this being the rationale behind the 5 year holding period).

but on tesla u.s. model s config page, plaid still shows est. delivery of June 2022. this shows a of backlog orders? if they can make it, they can delivery everyone they made?

Reactions: kengchang and MC3OZ
Poll: When do y'all predict Tesla will post their first quarter with earnings over $10 billion ($40Bannualized)?

I'm estimating Q4 2022.

600k deliveries
$53k avg selling price
A few tens of thousands of trimotor Cybertrucks
A few thousand Semi and Roadster
32% gross automotive margin
Opex $2 B
Energy starting to scale and hit positive gross margin, earning maybe $150 B gross profit

Poll: When do y'all predict Tesla will post their first quarter with earnings over $10 billion ($40Bannualized)?

I'm estimating Q4 2022.

600k deliveries
$53k avg selling price
A few tens of thousands of trimotor Cybertrucks
A few thousand Semi and Roadster
32% gross automotive margin
Opex $2 B
Energy starting to scale and hit positive gross margin, earning maybe $150 B gross profit
I’m not sure that will get you $10 Billion earnings - its closer to $6 Billion.