Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is Q3 2021 vs Q2 2021

1634122530892.png

Free Cash Flow - $1.7 Billion
Always tough to project, but Cash Flow should be enormous this Quarter.

View attachment 720952
I believe they were reported to have paid off a 1.4 billion loan for the Shanghai plant, so cash levels may be fairly steady versus the prior quarter. This will help future quarters though, as debt levels continue to be hammered down. Recourse and non-recourse debt was only 5.1 billion last quarter, so this should be about 3.5 billion or less now. They seem to be on track to paying off all long term debt by mid to late 2022, when cash flow really takes off.

I believe they were reported to have paid off a 1.4 billion loan for the Shanghai plant, so cash levels may be fairly steady versus the prior quarter. This will help future quarters though, as debt levels continue to be hammered down. Recourse and non-recourse debt was only 5.1 billion last quarter, so this should be about 3.5 billion or less now. They seem to be on track to paying off all long term debt by mid to late 2022, when cash flow really takes off.
China loan agreement is already gone by the end of Q2.

1634178382104.png

China loan agreement is already gone by the end of Q2.

View attachment 721285
But they have paid off the 2025 Notes in Q3. From the 10Q report for Q2:

"On July 16, 2021, we issued a notice of redemption to the holders of the 2025 Notes informing the holders that we will redeem the notes in full in
August 2021 at a redemption price equal to 102.65% of outstanding principal amount, plus accrued and unpaid interest, if any."

But they have paid off the 2025 Notes in Q3. From the 10Q report for Q2:

"On July 16, 2021, we issued a notice of redemption to the holders of the 2025 Notes informing the holders that we will redeem the notes in full in
August 2021 at a redemption price equal to 102.65% of outstanding principal amount, plus accrued and unpaid interest, if any."
Ya, but my comment is specific to the China loan agreement

Reactions: dc_h
@The Accountant Rob Maurer is expecting a Bitcoin impairment charge. I think you are still showing no charge for Q3, correct?

I checked the BTC price history and indeed, BTC closed at $35,040.84 on Jun 30 and hit $29,807.35 on Jul 20. This was significantly lower than at any time in Q2, which was the previous impairment charge.

I don't know exact numbers for the impairment (not sure if it used intraday low or closing low, etc.) but it seems certain there will be an impairment for Q3.

@The Accountant Rob Maurer is expecting a Bitcoin impairment charge. I think you are still showing no charge for Q3, correct?

I checked the BTC price history and indeed, BTC closed at $35,040.84 on Jun 30 and hit $29,807.35 on Jul 20. This was significantly lower than at any time in Q2, which was the previous impairment charge.

I don't know exact numbers for the impairment (not sure if it used intraday low or closing low, etc.) but it seems certain there will be an impairment for Q3.
This is so silly. Bitcoin is now $61k, Tesla are up a billion in profit and they are gonna have to write down earnings. Wallstreet will be saying Tesla shouldn’t have bought bitcoins, meanwhile sane retail investors will see the profit on the investment…

I have never been able to recreate the Q2 impairment charge of 23m which led me to conclude it is not as simple as taking the lowest price in the quarter.
Tesla does a poor job at providing details. They could for example tell us how many bitcoins they hold but they don't.
My gut tells me we will see some sort of impairment because I believe that Zach takes a conservative approach with the financials.
See my post here for my reasoning to not record an impairment for Q3.

This is so silly. Bitcoin is now $61k, Tesla are up a billion in profit and they are gonna have to write down earnings. Wallstreet will be saying Tesla shouldn’t have bought bitcoins, meanwhile sane retail investors will see the profit on the investment…
Or they could have been smart about it. If the impairment is $50 million and they were up say 50% at some point towards the end of the quarter they could have sold for $100 million to make a $50 profit and it would be a wash. Most of August and September the price was around $45k so that would have been easy.

Tesla very likely doesn't care about this but if they 'needed' to avoid the impairment they could.

Not sure if they could re-buy immediately if they did this or would have to wait till the next quarter. But they could perhaps have sold on September 30, and rebought on October 1 if they wanted to maintain their position.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: The Accountant

I looked at Rob's Q3 video and at the 24min mark and he states he does not expect an impairment.
I believe Dave Lee computed something like 100m a while ago and I saw one analyst estimate about 75m.
I did see the Bitcoin drop in July - so an impairment can come.

I however believe my forecast of $2.00 is balanced with potential upsides offsetting downsides.

Risks I see to my forecast are:
Bitcoin impairment: 75m to 100m
Taxes may be too low: 50m to 100m

Opportunities I see to my forecast are:
Average Selling Price may be too low: 75m
Margins may be better: 100m

I looked at Rob's Q3 video and at the 24min mark and he states he does not expect an impairment.
I believe Dave Lee computed something like 100m a while ago and I saw one analyst estimate about 75m.
I did see the Bitcoin drop in July - so an impairment can come.

I however believe my forecast of $2.00 is balanced with potential upsides offsetting downsides.

Risks I see to my forecast are:
Bitcoin impairment: 75m to 100m
Taxes may be too low: 50m to 100m

Opportunities I see to my forecast are:
Average Selling Price may be too low: 75m
Margins may be better: 100m
Rob did an adjustment regarding the bitcoin the next day. Yesterday I guess. His new total number is because of this down from 2.16 to 2.10.

It's close to the start of that video.

I have never been able to recreate the Q2 impairment charge of 23m which led me to conclude it is not as simple as taking the lowest price in the quarter.
Tesla does a poor job at providing details. They could for example tell us how many bitcoins they hold but they don't.
My gut tells me we will see some sort of impairment because I believe that Zach takes a conservative approach with the financials.
See my post here for my reasoning to not record an impairment for Q3.
Yeah, data source and type have a big impact.
Per: Bitcoin Historical Data - Investing.com daily data:
Q2 low (previous all time low for Tesla's holding period [if starting Jan 28]) : 29,927
Q3 low: 29,341
$586 difference * 42,000 coin = $24.6 Million / 1 Billion shares = $0.02 impairment

Or they could have been smart about it. If the impairment is $50 million and they were up say 50% at some point towards the end of the quarter they could have sold for $100 million to make a $50 profit and it would be a wash. Most of August and September the price was around $45k so that would have been easy.

Tesla very likely doesn't care about this but if they 'needed' to avoid the impairment they could.

Not sure if they could re-buy immediately if they did this or would have to wait till the next quarter. But they could perhaps have sold on September 30, and rebought on October 1 if they wanted to maintain their position.
If they did Musk would have have been lying about their intentions to not sell. Musk doesn’t care what wallstreet thinks, at this point Tesla doesn’t have to. He will take that impairment and not care at all that Wallstreet are retarded.

The whole thing is so unbalanced, report downsides but not upsides. So messed up that this is GAAP.

Reactions: bruce4000