Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearest service center - 391 miles - how does service/delivery work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently rented a Model 3 for a long weekend and absolutely love the car.

I would like to purchase an AWD Model 3 with delivery for mid-March. BUT....

I live in Fruitland, Idaho, which is about 45 minutes west of Boise. The nearest service center is Salt Lake City, which is 391 miles away.

How does service work if I have any warranty issues or necessary repairs? Will the car be delivered to my location or do I have to drive/fly to the service center to pick up?

Mike

Home delivery most likely.

For service issues- I'd check with Tesla themselves for your specific area- but typically they'll send a mobile ranger to you if it's something that doesn't require a lift or a body shop.

...391 miles away...

As shared by @Knightshade, contact your nearest Service Center and they'll send a mobile service if it doesn't require moving your car to the shop.

If your car is disabled, Roadside Assist will provide free tow to Service Center, but once it is fixed and drivable, you'll have to pick it up yourself or pay $3 / mile for Service Center to deliver it to you ($3 x 391 miles= $1,173 one way transport fee).

That means, when it is time to service your car and your car is driveable, you either bring it to a Service Center or you'll pay $3 / mile for towing. That's each mile, not one way distance. If your home is 391 miles away, it would take 782 miles for pickup and delivery.

It's a commitment for those who live far away. I live about 200 miles away and it's been great for me since 2012. I do tire works at local Pepboys shop. Mobile service does stop by for minor repairs. I faithfully drive 200 miles each way each year for annual maintenance.

If you really want a Tesla, it's worth the distance!

Reactions: preilly44
That means, when it is time to service your car and your car is driveable, you either bring it to a Service Center or you'll pay $3 / mile for towing. That's each mile, not one way distance. If your home is 391 miles away, it would take 782 miles for pickup and delivery.

The good news here is there's very little scheduled service you'd need to bring the car into Tesla for on the model 3.

Coolant changes every 4 years is pretty much it.

There’s a ranger located in Spokane, WA so there might be one in Boise as well. I drive to Seattle for my annual service, but it’s not been a problem since I have family in the area and schedule it to coincide with vacations.

My S was delivered to the Big Island from Honolulu, a two day barge trip. They flew in a delivery person and delivered it in the parking lot of a bar. Tesla can get the car to you if necessary. Since then my S took a 5000mile trip by boat and truck to Florida. I’m still 100 miles from service, but has never needed anything, so that is moot. Ranger comes to Palm Bay every Thursday if you need little stuff. I think you will find something similar where you are. Tesla is used to dealing with this problem.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
The guy in the Audi dealership who bought my old car from me said the Tesla mobile service tech in avoider was very good, from what he had heard.

Has anyone used the Boise mobile service tech?

Also, I was hoping to see if anyone has a recommendation for a tire rotation shop in Boise that is good with model 3’s. Thanks!

I live in the Magic Valley and my Model 3 was delivered to me in an enclosed trailer. (Actually picked it up in the Walmart parking lot about a mile away from home.) There is a ranger (Mobile service tech) in Boise who is great. He came to my home to fix an issue with the tire pressure monitor not being set up properly. He fixed the problem quickly and was great about communicating when he would come.

Reactions: DurandalAI
It really depends if you get in a service feedback loop or not. If you get a good build, there isn't much service needed. If you have defects that you want corrected, hopefully they are mostly mobile repair serviceable or else you could get annoyed quite quickly with that kind of trip. I am only a little over 2 hrs away from service and have been up there several times already for dropping off and picking up for service appointments and it's getting old. I got them to pay to tow it last time and the hauler damaged all the rims with their straps. Tesla said they would pay to have the wheels refinished locally but it takes a few days and is a hassle. Having a shop local to you would be much better.