Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearing 50K miles. Buy extended warranty or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am rapidly approaching 50K miles on my X. I am trying to decide whether to buy the extended warranty and hope to hear some real world maintenance experience for X's that have already crossed this mileage threshold. Did you buy extended warranty? Have you needed warranty repairs?

When I bought the car - the popular wisdom was that the X was so complicated that the extended warranty was a must have. As it is - I have had relatively few problems after the initial teething pains of an early VIN so am leaning toward forgoing the extended warranty but want to gather data to make the best decision. General opinions are welcome as well using the wisdom of crowds theory.

The most expensive parts to replace (motors, etc.) are least likely to break, so as long as your FWDs have not caused you any trouble over time, anything else will cost less to replace for the most part. I think the center screen is $2000-3000 to replace, for example.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Tesla is a new company (not software, but in terms of car manufacturing) and MX's have shown to have issues pop up. If you plan on keeping your car for the next 5 years then it's probably worth getting the extended warranty.

There is no way to know because you will be amongst the first people to report how it goes 5 years down the road & the rest of us will thank you for it!:)

Reactions: Bogobec
How expensive is the extended warranty and are there any notable exclusions? If it's a reasonable price and covers everything I would take it on such a potentially expensive beast of a car. It should also help your residual value depending on how long you intend to keep it. I always had Porsche extended warranties and they invariably paid for themselves!

• Helpful
Reactions: gfb107 and GSP
How expensive is the extended warranty and are there any notable exclusions? If it's a reasonable price and covers everything I would take it on such a potentially expensive beast of a car. It should also help your residual value depending on how long you intend to keep it. I always had Porsche extended warranties and they invariably paid for themselves!

2 yrs/25k mile/$2400 or 4yrs/50 k miles/$4800. Drive train and battery are already covered under separate warranty and those are the truly big ticket items.

2 yrs/25k mile/$2400 or 4yrs/50 k miles/$4800. Drive train and battery are already covered under separate warranty and those are the truly big ticket items.

Personally, I would buy the warranty. You say battery and drivetrain are big ticket items, but electrical problems can be a nightmare to fix as well. Not to mention air suspension etc. It wouldn't actually take much of an issue to blow through $5k in service bills on a car like the X. But you may get away with it, so it's a bit of an insurance gamble.

Yes.

And understand that it’s not just the one-time cost for the ESA. SvC visits will cost $200 each, annual servicings become required, and there are quite a few things that the ESA does not cover.

So for the full 50K miles (only about 2.5 years at an average of 18K miles/year), set aside close to $10K including a set of tires and an alignment.

Total cost of ownership (TCO) - it’s an illuminating thing.

Reactions: davidc18 and trmmcd
Once you buy the warranty you do need to have annual service performed during the extended warranty period. However, you don't need to have the annual service performed during the manufacturer warranty period in order to be able to buy the extended warranty.
From the FAQ: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.

• Informative
Reactions: kak1154